Armagh v Galway challenge 23/05/10

Started by bennydorano, May 23, 2010, 04:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Went to the game (unfortunately) at the opening of Clonmore's new clubrooms, Galway winning 2.15 to 1.5 against a virtually unrecognisable Armagh side.  Armagh lined out:
McEvoy
Enda McNulty,Paul McKeown,Shannon
Dyas, Paul McGee, CLONMORE PLAYER?
Donaghy(for about 30 secs) then Feeney & Hanratty
Jason O'Neill, MOR, TK
Henderson, Forker, McNamee

Forker went off after about 5 mins to be replaced by Nippy.
AK, Jamie Clarke and couple of others came on at various times.

Galway had what I imagine was a near first team side out from the off, with only Meehan and Armstrong missing.  Galway were noticeably physically superior in most positions, totally dominating MF throughout.

From an Armagh POV very few positives, Nippy scored 0-2 from play and had a good battle with Hanley at Fb, Jamie Clarke got a goal,joe Feeney a good point from play and TK a couple of frees.  Feeney did try but wasn't physically up for the Galway MF.  Paul MCKeown and Shannon had good games at the back, the young Clonmore lad who I was told is a County minor certainly didn't look out of place amongst his elders.  MOR was his usual belligerent self and was defintely one of the more prominent Armagh players.  Dyas was neat and tidy. I like the look of Paul McGee (Sarsfields?) I saw him in the McKenna cup and thought he had the makings of good player, did well today but probably lacks a bit of pace for inter county chb.  What age is he?

McKeown wouldn't be a kick in the arse from the first team judging by today.

mountainboii

Cheers for that benny. Wouldn't have expected us to be up to much so soon after last weekend. Bit strange though that you seem to indicate that most of the defenders were decent, yet they conceded 2-15.

bennydorano

MF was destroyed, the ball was constantly coming at them.

mountainboii

Ah I see. Pity there wasn't a couple more recognised midfield options about. Anto Duffy and Vincie Martin might've made a better fist of it. Austin too, if he wasn't injured.

Duine Eile

Sean Armstrong played full forward according to Galway Bay FM. Bit of a poor show from the Armagh side of things. Galway were invited up for a challenge and end up playing a second string Armagh team. I'm sure a much stiffer test was expected by Big Joe and the lads.

bennydorano

Tad disrespectful alrite, but there was a full round of club games Friday night where all county players featured and we're only a fortnight from the Monaghan game.

Duine Eile

Full round of league fixtures here on Friday aswell, championship last weekend and another round for some lads next weekend. Mayo game only 3 weeks away. We could all use those excuses.

Jinxy

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 23, 2010, 08:07:23 PM
Full round of league fixtures here on Friday aswell, championship last weekend and another round for some lads next weekend. Mayo game only 3 weeks away. We could all use those excuses.

Huh?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mountainboii

If anyone was going to know what type of challenge he'd face today, it was Joe. It's not like he hasn't a direct line or three into the Armagh camp or anything.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Jinxy on May 23, 2010, 08:25:26 PM

Huh?

Sorry sorry meant Mayo/Sligo game! Actually when is that match, I don't know where I pulled that date out of.

Farrandeelin

Mayo-Sligo 2 weeks time my dear!!! :o Didn't think there was a trace of black and white in you DE!!! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Duine Eile

Head all over the place, apologies!Galway play the winners on the 27th! Really need sleep......................................

mhacadoir

the number 17 who played half back was David Comiskey, from Tullysaran. Think he was u21 captain this year, and did well, certainly didnt look out of place. 

Fair play to Clonmore, the new grounds looks very well and was a great day (apart from the scoreline), they certainly got the day for it

thewanderer

heard there was apoor enough crowd unfortunately, any truth. the club put galway up in the carrickdale could be a costly day? I beleive the facilities are a real credit to the club members.

bennydorano

Doubt too many in Armagh will care, POR obviously looking out for the best interests of Armagh.