Tyrone man Gary McGurk killed New Yorker ex-girlfriend

Started by Minder, May 21, 2010, 08:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Can this thread please be closed. It's beyond ridiculous.

If you want to discuss the court case on Thursday that's fine, it's public knowledge. I see no merit in dragging this fella's extended family into the discussion. He was the one did the crime.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Maguire01

Bogball XV

Quote from: magickingdom on May 21, 2010, 07:08:55 PM
if this had happened in ireland he'd be out in about 8 years, he'll do 3 or 4 times that in ny. a horrible crime
Only if he'd been convicted of manslaughter, it's unlikely that he wouldn't have been tried for murder i would think?

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 22, 2010, 04:12:21 PM
His father is hardly extended family.

I wonder if this fellow came from a loyalist terrorist background or if his auld boy had been some "common" criminal and not an IRA terrorist would there be such objections to bringing his family into the discussion?

omagh_gael

This fella is one bad pup. The poor girl was stabbed in the throat, beaten in the head, bound with a mobile phone charger cord and seared on the chest with a steam iron. This lad also conned the girl into lending him thousands of dollars after claiming to be suffering from cancer. A nasty piece of work indeed. Details from todays Irish News.

stibhan

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2010, 06:06:39 PM

I wonder if this fellow came from a loyalist terrorist background or if his auld boy had been some "common" criminal and not an IRA terrorist would there be such objections to bringing his family into the discussion?

I think that the IRA, the UVF and criminals are all distinct groups--but more importantly the chance of someone who is in the extended family of the man in question being on this board is bigger than if they were in the UVF/LVF/UDA.

Maguire01

And?
His extended family is also more likely to read the Irish News, but that hardly means they shouldn't comment on or cover it.

stibhan

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 22, 2010, 07:27:42 PM
And?
His extended family is also more likely to read the Irish News, but that hardly means they shouldn't comment on or cover it.

It's the sins of the son being visited upon the father, that's what I'm saying. The same thing happened with a certain barrister whose son was accused of racially abusing Romanians.

J70

Quote from: stibhan on May 22, 2010, 07:32:43 PM
And?

It's the sins of the son being visited upon the father, that's what I'm saying. The same thing happened with a certain barrister whose son was accused of racially abusing Romanians.

A barrister and his racist son is the equivalent of an IRA bomber and his violently murderous son?

stibhan

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2010, 08:35:10 PM
And?

A barrister and his racist son is the equivalent of an IRA bomber and his violently murderous son?

No, they're different, but the principle is the same--the principle being outlined in the first sentence, in case you didn't read it. It's ridiculous to suggest that I am equalling the murder in that way.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

I've read the press release from the DA office in Queens over this case. The majority of stuff in the Irish News story is gleaned from tabloid papers in NYC, not that I mean what they've said isn't true, but more the fact that it is copy and paste, not checked or researced. They say the son is originally from Carrickmore, which he is not.
Unless Suzanne McGonagle was in NY, I don't know how she has the cheek to put her by-line on the story. Everyone takes for granted the "Tyrone man" description, which I can't get my head around. The fella wasn't born or didn't go to school in Tyrone and went to America aged 10. If he's anything, he's a Monaghan man.

Justice needs to be seen to be done, and I have no objection to discussing a criminal case here. But the father took his family out of the country for a new life. He has done nothing wrong here. Regardless of what his past life was, IRA or otherwise.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stibhan on May 22, 2010, 07:01:09 PM

I think that the IRA, the UVF and criminals are all distinct groups--but more importantly the chance of someone who is in the extended family of the man in question being on this board is bigger than if they were in the UVF/LVF/UDA.
I have a feeling the title of the thread would be ample warning for any unsuspecting members of the extended family.

J70

Quote from: stibhan on May 22, 2010, 09:02:48 PM
And?

No, they're different, but the principle is the same--the principle being outlined in the first sentence, in case you didn't read it. It's ridiculous to suggest that I am equalling the murder in that way.

But the father in this McGurk case was a wannabe murderer. His son was a successful one. I don't see how his character would be impugned in the same way that the barrister's would by his racist son, unless of course the barrister himself had also had a history of racism.

stibhan

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2010, 10:09:54 PM
Quote from: stibhan on May 22, 2010, 09:02:48 PM
And?

But the father in this McGurk case was a wannabe murderer. His son was a successful one. I don't see how his character would be impugned in the same way that the barrister's would by his racist son, unless of course the barrister himself had also had a history of racism.

I'm sorry but I really don't see the comparison between someone fighting in a recognised conflict--however wrong that may be--and someone who was motivated by jealousy to murder someone. It would not, in any case, stand up in court as a comparison.

stibhan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 22, 2010, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: stibhan on May 22, 2010, 07:01:09 PM

I have a feeling the title of the thread would be ample warning for any unsuspecting members of the extended family.
Fair point--I was being fatuous. But speculation on what people would be saying about various different groups is also fatuous.