Tyrone man Gary McGurk killed New Yorker ex-girlfriend

Started by Minder, May 21, 2010, 08:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

Why is the story of a murder in New York one off the lead stories on BBC Northern Ireland? Also I'm not sure but I think that the young mean may actually have been born In New York. Is it now a policy of the BBC Northern Ireland to cover any murder or news worthy story from around the world if either parent were born in Northern Ireland? I just feel that the high priority given to this story is uncalled for. We are in the middle of a recession and thousands of people are loosing their jobs so if this were to be covered 3000 miles away it should not have been the lead item as it was this morning.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Zapatista

Quote from: Puckoon on May 21, 2010, 01:42:40 PM
Zap - I think you'd be struggling to find a reason why the fathers history isnt worth mentioning at all. In any case thats not the point. That poor woman died a rotten death for no reason at all.

The truth is I'm really having a go at the writer of the article. It is opportunism at it's worst. Fine, it could be mention as a matter of interest but I believe the point of it being mentioned is to create an imaginary link. I think it's a dirty trick.

Quote from: bingobus on May 21, 2010, 02:12:12 PM
I find Zaps attempts to defend the honour of the IRA father sad.

I didn't defend anything. Attempts to link this to the IRA or anything else are sad dirty tricks.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Overthebar! on May 21, 2010, 03:37:19 PM
I don't think it should entitle him to a lesser sentence but I do think the story is relevant. Id say he did it because he thought he could get away with it...by the way carmen was he anyuse at the football?

Wasnt that bad seeing he spent most of his life in the states.  He had great speed i remember that about him.  They say he was a  great soccer player.

Ulick

Quote from: Zapatista on May 21, 2010, 04:12:14 PM
The truth is I'm really having a go at the writer of the article. It is opportunism at it's worst. Fine, it could be mention as a matter of interest but I believe the point of it being mentioned is to create an imaginary link. I think it's a dirty trick.

I didn't defend anything. Attempts to link this to the IRA or anything else are sad dirty tricks.

First thing I did was Google it and quelle surprise it's from an Indo article.

Main Street

Quote from: bingobus on May 21, 2010, 02:12:12 PM
I find Zaps attempts to defend the honour of the IRA father sad.
Are you trying to wind up Zap or can you really have such a lack of basic comprehension?

magickingdom

if this had happened in ireland he'd be out in about 8 years, he'll do 3 or 4 times that in ny. a horrible crime

sandwiches_in_the_boot

The father's the reason he's described as a Tyrone man, the boy in question has little connection with Tyrone.

And he has dual citizenship.

He pleaded guilty as he would have faced life inside if it went to trial. He's facing between 25 and 37 years at the minute. Manslaughter is an easier charge to prove, as with murder you must show premeditation. In crimes of passion, possibly like this one, first-degree manslaughter probably fits better and the sentence is apt enough IMO. He'd have got less on this side of the Atlantic for murder.

As far as I know the father is originally from the Mid Tyrone area... saying nothing else.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Windmill abu

QuoteI find Zaps attempts to defend the honour of the IRA father sad.

Why shouldn't Zap defend the honour of someones father. The father didn't commit the crime.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

J70

Quote from: magickingdom on May 21, 2010, 07:08:55 PM
if this had happened in ireland he'd be out in about 8 years, he'll do 3 or 4 times that in ny. a horrible crime

Absolutely. Irish sentencing is ridiculously lenient. Whatever about the injustices of the US system in terms of false convictions and the death penalty, they do get it right in terms of lengthy sentences.

Zapatista

Quote from: Ulick on May 21, 2010, 05:42:20 PM
First thing I did was Google it and quelle surprise it's from an Indo article.

I should have guessed.

Zapatista

Quote from: Overthebar! on May 21, 2010, 02:02:57 PM

that is a good question. zap another reason it is relevant is because it highlights how/why gary is in america in the first place.
just admit it was a silly statement from you...

No. That's just a silly statement from you. Why would it matter why he was there? If the victims father had have emigrated to the US would you be blaming him for her being there?

Capt Pat

If his father was a bad character out to kill people and the son grew up to be a killer. It is safe to assume that the son had a pretty tough time from the old man growing up. Of course I don't know that but it is probably just the way things were. It would be nice to think of an IRA terrorist coming home from a night of terrorist activities and having a rebel sing song with the family, but in a case like this that probably wasn't the only element of the day job that he inflicted on the family.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 22, 2010, 10:34:18 AM
If his father was a bad character out to kill people and the son grew up to be a killer. It is safe to assume that the son had a pretty tough time from the old man growing up. Of course I don't know that but it is probably just the way things were. It would be nice to think of an IRA terrorist coming home from a night of terrorist activities and having a rebel sing song with the family, but in a case like this that probably wasn't the only element of the day job that he inflicted on the family.
congratulations, that should wrap up stupid post of the year award for you.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 22, 2010, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 22, 2010, 10:34:18 AM
congratulations, that should wrap up stupid post of the year award for you.
Nice for you to have some competition this year.

Capt Pat