Parkinson Calls Micko a Bluffer

Started by bingobus, May 19, 2010, 04:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

I never liked his chat-show anyway.

Main Street

Even Roddy Collins talked more sense than Parkinson and Roddy was spoofing about all and sundry.

But I was absolutely shocked to hear the account of the trash talking by the Dubs to their Laois opponents, on the field of play.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on May 20, 2010, 06:29:46 PM
Even Roddy Collins talked more sense than Parkinson and Roddy was spoofing about all and sundry.

But I was absolutely shocked to hear the account of the trash talking by the Dubs to their Laois opponents, on the field of play.

On yer bike. Dessie Mone. Need I say more. Monaghan are probably the most hateful team to play against in Ireland. Armagh better have the body armour out in a few weeks. They're going to need it.

Mickeys beard

He's nothin only a wee moany shite anyway, always has a chip on the showlder.  Can't believe he even got airtime.
Boil the Drawers!

Main Street

I forgot that Dubs need to have every joke explained and every bit of sarcasm flagged.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2010, 02:11:06 PM
Quote from: stephenite on May 20, 2010, 01:15:08 AM
I've no idea if Micko is or ain't a bluffer - but he's done a hell of a lot more for the GAA over the course of a lifetime than the likes of Colin Fkcuing Parkinson - who the hell does that lad think he is?

Must be a case of "it takes one to know one"

I'd confidently say that Parkinson got a hell of a lot less money out of the GAA in his time. What you do for the GAA must be netted off against what you receive back from them.

Seems to me he has hit the nail on the head here. Of course he's a so and so in many eyes because in Ireland we like to pretend that things that aren't real somehow are. We don't like the people who tell us that the Emporer is actually in the nip.

Parkinson is playing with Parnells now isn't he? Hmmm. I wouldn't be so confident.

I find it amazing that Micko divides opinion so much between GAA folk. The man has done so much for the association in so many parts of the country. The summer wouldn't be the same without him!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

IolarCoisCuain

Parkinson is right and wrong all at the same time.

He's right in saying that Micko has nothing up his sleeve, but that's not what he's brought to Wicklow to do. He's in Wicklow to raise the dead. That's what he's done in the travelling part of his career. He did it in Kildare and Laois, and he's already had success in Wicklow, relative to what's gone before.

Parkinson is in position to take a crack at Micko, but I don't think that's what he did. Parkinson just made an off-hand comment and that's been blown out of proportion because of the hypocritical way Gaelic games are reported.

I like Micko. I think he's good for the game. He does a lot of spinning, but what of it? He's from Kerry. A Kerryman not putting jam on it would be a like an ass not braying. Let him off, and good luck to him.

ONeill

Parkinson's some boy.

He's the lad who couldn't dig a hole on-site in Australia and was sacked because of it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stephenite

I've no idea if Micko is or ain't a bluffer - but he's done a hell of a lot more for the GAA over the course of a lifetime than the likes of Colin Fkcuing Parkinson - who the hell does that lad think he is?

I'd confidently say that Parkinson got a hell of a lot less money out of the GAA in his time. What you do for the GAA must be netted off against what you receive back from them.

Seems to me he has hit the nail on the head here. Of course he's a so and so in many eyes because in Ireland we like to pretend that things that aren't real somehow are. We don't like the people who tell us that the Emporer is actually in the nip.

This is the thing though - why do you compare it in monetary terms. What does Parkinson receiving less money have to do with anything?

Bud Wiser

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 20, 2010, 10:32:20 PM
Parkinson is right and wrong all at the same time.

He's right in saying that Micko has nothing up his sleeve, but that's not what he's brought to Wicklow to do. He's in Wicklow to raise the dead. That's what he's done in the travelling part of his career. He did it in Kildare and Laois, and he's already had success in Wicklow, relative to what's gone before.

Parkinson is in position to take a crack at Micko, but I don't think that's what he did. Parkinson just made an off-hand comment and that's been blown out of proportion because of the hypocritical way Gaelic games are reported.

I like Micko. I think he's good for the game. He does a lot of spinning, but what of it? He's from Kerry. A Kerryman not putting jam on it would be a like an ass not braying. Let him off, and good luck to him.

That about sums it up fairly accurately.  There are a few on here who suffer from 'Parkinson' and are chomping at the bit to get their dig in about his private life.  Did you know he once tried to take the top of an egg with a wooden spoon?  One day he fell while walking on the street? He could not dig a hole in the ground and got sacked?  Over on the Kerry Forum he was found lying in the street outside Morrrisseys pub after losing a championship game?  (If I remember correctly the person lying in the street after a championship game was from Dublin and it was Blanchardstown) Colm Parkinson did not appear in Court in Abbeyleix, I am from Abbeyleix and there is no longer a district court there.

It is absolutely amazing that some on here, particularly the ones from his own county, can lob in their personal insults against a player on a thread that is supposed to be discussing a not so serious comment about Mick O'Dwyer.  If Colm Parkinson wants to go to Australia, or USA or Timbucktu it is his own business.  Maybe if O'Dwyer had not left him on the bench untl it was too late in the last game he managed, while at the same time leaving a centre field player on too long when he wasn't up to it we might have won at least another Leinster.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

southsidejohnny

4 All-Irelands as a player, 8 as a manager with Kerry plus National leagues. Leinster championship with two of Leinsters biggest wimps ever , Laois and Kildare and Micko O Dwyer is the bluffer? A few years ago I read a brilliant book by Laois man Pat Critchley. In it he referred  to a noisy git who was at the back of the queue waiting to buy chips in Portlaose. Up at the front was the father of the then Portlaoise manager. The tin can at the back started to shout over the crowd to the managers father "Tell your son I wont be at training the next night". The dad paid for his chips and shouted back "And who will I say you are". Micko I know of and respect, comments from yeomen that played for mediocre teams I laugh at.

lynchbhoy

parkinson may be a small but correct but either way Micko in a pure footballing perspective (not going to discuss money) is a bit of a placebo effect on teams clubs and players.

the bottom line is that the biggest requirement for a player is confidence (assuming that at a certain level they all have much the same skill and fitnes levels).

You cannot detract from the fact that micko has an unbelieveable record as a manager.
As soon as he comes in he does things his way and players usually buy in to this - because mostly they want to.

I recall some of my friends on the kildare panel telling me that micko was killing them with long runs etc in training and eachyear kildare were arguably the fittest team in the country - they just hadnt the skills or more probably the dirt/balls to win championships.

Micko gets teams very fit. So fitness and believe allied together are hard to beat. There is more to it, but in terms of team selections and substitutions ODwyer does fall down a bit.
He certainly has his favourites and wont drop or sub them unless they are half dead.

Micko obv does the basics right and after that he relies on the talent of the team to win things.
If they are not talented enough - then they wont win feck all !

Still he is a good man for the Football imo !

bingobus

Maybe's Micks way is the right way  ???

In other counties that would have same talent or numbers available like Kildare or Laois, they have spent huge sums and put in loads of resources into their senior team for little reward. They'd no doubt tried all the fancy dan tricks - overseas camps, all sorts of modern training methods, video analysis, head doctors etc etc etc.

But at the end of the day you can't make a purse out of a sows ear. Maybe Mick has identified this and at that stage maybe players have fully developed regarding there skill levels and the only thing you can do is get them super fit (micks way abviously works in that regard), give them plenty of ball and tell them they are great. You can't look past his results in fairness.

Maybe its all these other modern day managers and coaches who are the bluffers and are making a cod out of everyobe else and the GAA.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stephenite on May 21, 2010, 01:24:28 AM

This is the thing though - why do you compare it in monetary terms. What does Parkinson receiving less money have to do with anything?

I'll copy and paste it again:

QuoteWhat you do for the GAA must be netted off against what you receive back from them.

As for him now playing in Dublin I'll admit I'm not as familiar as I once was with the main perpetrators of chequebook football in the capital but Parnells? When you put it (whatever its insinuated "it" is) beside Micko's, ahem, expenses from his Kildare, Laois and Wicklow sojourns I'd be very confident it pales into insignificance.

Parkinson didn't really have a go at Micko but the reaction is typical.

The Real Laoislad

Laois backing 'hero' Micko

LAOIS footballers have come out in a show of support for Mick O'Dwyer, following astonishing claims by their former colleague, Colm Parkinson, that the man who steered them to a first Leinster title for 57 years was "an absolute bluffer" and "an awful man manager."

Parkinson also asserted that O'Dwyer had favourites and would pass by subs without even recognising them.
Parkinson made his comments on Newstalk last Saturday and they evoked an angry reaction among the Laois football fraternity when reproduced in the 'Leinster Express' yesterday.
Several Laois players — past and present — contacted the Irish Independent last night to personally disassociate themselves from Parkinson's remarks and to express their appreciation for what O'Dwyer did for the county during his spell in charge from 2003 to 2006.

Parkinson made the comments during a discussion on Wicklow's prospects of beating Carlow last Sunday after international rugby star Bernard Jackman predicted that O'Dwyer would "have a trick up his sleeve."
Parkinson, who played for Laois for 10 years and who says he may attempt a return next year, was disparaging of O'Dwyer, however.

"I can tell you now that Micko will have nothing up his sleeve. He's an absolute bluffer. He's an awful man manager. He has favourites. He could pass by subs and not even know them. He'd have three or four favourites and that's it."
It has led to uproar among Parkinson's colleagues who are angry that a man they regard as a heroic figure should be portrayed so negatively.
Joe Higgins, a star defender before, during and after the O'Dwyer era in Laois, said that man management was one of his main attributes.

"There wasn't a player in Laois who didn't want to play for him. When he came in first, I was busy building a house and said I couldn't join the panel but he came out to see me personally, sat down for ages and talked everything through. He persuaded me to give it a go.

"I told him I couldn't go back in until the following January and he said, 'okay.' Here was the most famous manager of all time who could have left me sitting at home because I didn't respond immediately but he knew well how to handle lads. I'm managing the Laois ladies team now and if ever I want a bit of advice I ring Micko. I'll have him down later on in the season to talk to them, I wouldn't have a bad word said against him," said Higgins.

Brian 'Beano' McDonald said that O'Dwyer's record — both before and after he was with Laois — spoke for itself.
"It's hardly a fluke that we were beaten out the gate in the 2002 All-Ireland qualifiers and were Leinster champions the next year. Micko had his own way of doing things but he always knew what he was at. Lads put in the extra effort for him all the time. I would hate if he thought that the vast majority of the players he dealt with hadn't the height of respect for him.
"I can guarantee him we have."

Gary Kavanagh said that O'Dwyer's ability to make players believe they could beat anybody was unrivalled.
"If you didn't belief in yourself after listening to him, you never would. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I certainly wouldn't accept any criticism of Micko."

Noel Garvan said that O'Dwyer had brilliant motivational methods and improved players on other fronts too.
"I can certainly say he improved my game. The facts are simple — Laois weren't winning before he came and then we enjoyed our best period for decades. That can hardly be a coincidence. It's not. Whatever anyone can call him, it's certainly not a bluffer. He always knew where he was heading — he had a great sense of cuteness."

Declan O'Loughlin, a man who played a large part in bringing O'Dwyer to Laois and who served as a selector, said that the support for him was overwhelming.
"I was painting my hotel today and I hardly got any work done with people stopping to talk about what they had read in the paper.
"They were all amazed and disappointed by it because Micko is still a hero to most Laois people," he said.
Parkinson did pay some tributes to O'Dwyer, pointing out that all the top players wanted to play for him.
It's understood that most of the Laois players who played under O'Dwyer, plus several officials at club and county level, contacted him to dissociate themselves from Parkinson's remarks.

I be more inclined to believe the likes of Higgins and Garvan than that p***k Parkinson....

You'll Never Walk Alone.