World Cup Best XI - Your Lifetime

Started by AZOffaly, May 18, 2010, 09:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2010, 11:54:58 PM
ross, bear in mind that I don't make up fantasy lives where I pretend to be older than I am and am sticking to the years I know. I also tried to include players outside Brazil, France and Italy.

Get rid of McGrath and Jennings in your team and then come back to me.

Yep how about a mature answer for once, & try keep to the thread title also.. best XI which for you should include Brazil, France and Italy mostly! Figo, Makelele & Campos is a poor choice for a college boy that knows it all
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

thewobbler

QuoteMaradona wasn't a striker. In a 4-3-1-2 he was the 1.

I must have imagined only Valdano playing ahead of him in 1986 and only Cannigia ahead of him in 1990.

Rossie11

Think Balbo was other striker in 1990 for Arg.

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on May 19, 2010, 12:02:11 AM
ross, bear in mind that I don't make up fantasy lives where I pretend to be older than I am and am sticking to the years I know. I also tried to include players outside Brazil, France and Italy.

Yep how about a mature answer for once, & try keep to the thread title also.. best XI which for you should include Brazil, France and Italy mostly! Figo, Makelele & Campos is a poor choice for a college boy that knows it all

Yes ross, I understand the meaning of the word "best". I'd put Campos in ahead of Pat Jennings anyway. Then again, you'd never heard of Jorge Campos, so you're not really in a position to comment on that selection. Figo played well in an underachieving Portugal side in 2002 and was excellent four years later.

You appear to have some fascination with the fact that I'm a student. You do realise that getting into university is no longer the achievement it once was and that a majority of Irish children progress to third level education?

Capt Pat

Save the lectures. I am just trying to give a few more players a mention

Bats
Jarni
Baresi
Maldini
Carlos
Mattheus
Prosinecki
Rivaldo
Maradonna
Davor Suker
Zidaine

gallsman

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 19, 2010, 12:17:58 AM
Save the lectures. I am just trying to give a few more players a mention

Bats
Jarni
Baresi
Maldini
Carlos
Mattheus
Prosinecki
Rivaldo
Maradonna
Davor Suker
Zidaine

Robert Jarni was outstanding in 1998

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on May 19, 2010, 12:11:13 AM
Quote from: ross4life on May 19, 2010, 12:02:11 AM

Yes ross, I understand the meaning of the word "best". I'd put Campos in ahead of Pat Jennings anyway. Then again, you'd never heard of Jorge Campos, so you're not really in a position to comment on that selection. Figo played well in an underachieving Portugal side in 2002 and was excellent four years later.

You appear to have some fascination with the fact that I'm a student. You do realise that getting into university is no longer the achievement it once was and that a majority of Irish children progress to third level education?

Jorge campos only caught the eye with his colourful jerseys many better keepers than him IMO & figo was good but ahead of Hagi & others?

one more thing you have Romario & Baresi in your team & if remember right the last world cups for those guys was 1994  making you about 5/6 at that time? but it counts as your lifetime i guess
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Seven. Can you not remember stuff from when you were seven???? It wasn't too long ago.

ross4life

some other players that deserve a mention

Valderrama 1990/94 (rarely misplaced a pass)
Owen 1998 (one of the best back then)
Gattuso 2006 (solid as a rock in midfield)
Zambrotta 2006 (brilliant)
Ballack 2002 (carried the team)
Bergkamp (scored one of the best ever goals in a world cup)
Jose Luis Chilavert 1998 ( one of the best)
Edgar Davids 1998 (first class)
Ronaldinho 2002 (delightful skill)
Laudrups 1998 (both were great)
Balakov 1994 (one of the best midfielders that year)
Dragan Stojkovic 1990 (pure class)
Donadoni 1990 (brilliant)
Platini 1986 (end of his career but still great)

& i enjoyed watching Raúl,Christian Vieri, & batistuta for their goals

ballinaman

Andrés Escobar for Colombia played class in Italia 90.....94 didn't go that well though.

stephenite

I'll back O Neill's selection with one change, Kevin Sheedy in for Zidane

Hedley Lamarr

Can't believe no one hasincluded Terry Phelan :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

gallsman

Quote from: stephenite on May 19, 2010, 06:11:35 AM
I'll back O Neill's selection with one change, Kevin Sheedy in for Zidane

Tim Sherwood, just the way Jack Walker liked.

Hoof Hearted

Im old enough to remember Argentina 1978, sitting up until 2 in the morning, as a 7 year old, to watch the matches. (Thats why i also support Nottm Forest, they won the league that year.)

Mario Kempes was outstanding back then, aswell as most of the dutch team who lost the final.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012