World Cup Best XI - Your Lifetime

Started by AZOffaly, May 18, 2010, 09:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 21, 2010, 01:30:23 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 21, 2010, 01:07:17 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on May 21, 2010, 09:15:08 AM
Good thread, am sorry I wasn't around for it. 

Would have to go with:

Maier (so impressive at the time on a young mind  ;))
Costacurta Baresi Maldini (rather than going for individuals have gone with the most impressive unit, in my books)
Beckenbauer (sweeping)
Dunga (enforcing)
Figo Zidane Cruyff (creating)
Maradona (in the hole)
Batigol (doing his thing)

Honourable mentions: Lato, Boniek, Rocheteau, Platini, Gullit, Rjikaard, van Basten and Brazil ('82).  Could have had Rossi (or van Basten up front either, but Batistuta's positioning and awareness was always awesome for me.
Jayz Billy, Dunga is well out of place in that team.

Ah Hound I just wanted a lad to win the ball, and hand it over - didn't need to be a genius either with Beckenbauer behind him.  Lots of folk could fit in there: Makalele, Gattuso, Viera (Deschamps even).  Just an oul grinder - every side needs one.
Of all the lads you mentioned, I'd plump for Rijkaard. I'd Tigana in my team to do that. I'm sure there's been a few Germans down the years who've been great at that role, Breitner comes to mind though memory's a bitz hazy on how good he was exactly. Tardelli in 82 too was a tough man. Keane would probably have been a strong contender if he'd played one more tournament, but maybe we won't go there!

Billys Boots

Ah Hound, Rijkaard would have wanted to play football, which wouldn't have been his job - and he was an excellent footballer.  I liked Tigana too, but my memories are spoiled by the fact that he couldn't shoot (which wouldn't necessarily matter on this team).  I couldn't have more than one German in the team - they'd want to be giving orders then (and I never liked Breitner for scoring against Holland in 74).  And I've already got three Italians - any more and they'd go on strike.  So, it looks like Dunga still.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Capt Pat

Cafu and Carlos are the 2 best corner backs since 1986. I am surprised more people haven't included Rivaldo or other left or right wingers. Rivaldo was excellent and ha won the tournament.

paco

Down South

Norf Tyrone

Best goal. Manual Negrete for Mexico in 86. Class.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Billys Boots

Quote from: Down South on May 23, 2010, 11:31:34 PM
8 pages and no Ziggy Boniek???

QuoteGood thread, am sorry I wasn't around for it. 

Would have to go with:

Maier (so impressive at the time on a young mind  )
Costacurta Baresi Maldini (rather than going for individuals have gone with the most impressive unit, in my books)
Beckenbauer (sweeping)
Dunga (enforcing)
Figo Zidane Cruyff (creating)
Maradona (in the hole)
Batigol (doing his thing)

Honourable mentions: Lato, Boniek, Rocheteau, Platini, Gullit, Rjikaard, van Basten and Brazil ('82).  Could have had Rossi (or van Basten up front either, but Batistuta's positioning and awareness was always awesome for me.

Ahem.

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on May 21, 2010, 06:45:55 PM
moving onto best goals in your lifetime (no need for new thread)

Dario or Richard Rodriguez for Uruguay in 2002 against either Senegal or Denmark.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: gallsman on May 24, 2010, 09:51:40 AM
Quote from: ross4life on May 21, 2010, 06:45:55 PM
moving onto best goals in your lifetime (no need for new thread)

Dario or Richard Rodriguez for Uruguay in 2002 against either Senegal or Denmark.
hard to beat the bergkamp one in 98 V argentina. pure class
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Billys Boots

Cambiasso's goal in the last world cup impressed me.

gallsman

Jared Borgetti scored an unreal header for Mexico against Italy in 2002. Outstanding technique.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: gallsman on May 24, 2010, 10:30:24 AM
Jared Borgetti scored an unreal header for Mexico against Italy in 2002. Outstanding technique.
Surely you mean he had unbelievable tekkers?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 24, 2010, 10:07:29 AM
Cambiasso's goal in the last world cup impressed me.

Was it Liverpool's Maxi Rodriguez that got an absolute screamer of a volley for Argentina in the last world cup?