No hand pass problem says Duffy

Started by longrunsthefox, May 17, 2010, 05:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Kerry had a "goal" disallowed because the ref deemed the pass to the player who put the ball in the net was illegal.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tyssam5

Quote from: Main Street on May 18, 2010, 03:31:25 PM
I thought the ref quite rightly penalised Donaghy for his throw-ball for the disallowed goal against Tipp. Personally I thought his throw was obvious and blatant yet I have heard comment (incl the commentators) that there was nothing wrong with Donaghy's pass.

Any reasonable change that succeeds in helping the ref distinguish between a throw and a pass, would be a positive development within the game.

Donaghy does throw the ball a lot. Ref in Derry Armagh game seemed to decide his variation of the rule was that any handpass less than 10 feet was a foul.

Main Street

There were a few other times when the 5th or so pass was pulled up in an attacking position and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the other 4. That would drive you demented, as my mother would often say about me.

Rossfan

Quote from: catchandkick on May 18, 2010, 05:20:04 PM
, so scrap this ridiculous new rule immediately.

Can't be done till 2015.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

Yet there seemed to be a consensus during the Sunday Game that it'd be consigned to the dustbin anyway by refs after a week or two.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

crossfire

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 18, 2010, 03:07:46 PM
More "clarification"  ::)

Prenty defends new regulations
18 May 2010

Connacht Council secretary John Prenty, who was one of the chief instigators behind the controversial new handpass rule, has strongly defended the changes which have caused uproar in football circles.

Managers and players in three provinces were incensed on Sunday with the new regulations, which they claim they were not fully briefed on.

However, Prenty said yesterday: "I don't think the rule is confusing at all. It's simple. People are talking about new rules being blamed because 13 fellows got booked in one match, but fellows get booked no matter what the rules are!

"You'd swear this thing came out last Friday. Congress was on April the 16/17, so counties know about it. If team managers or players have a problem with the county board, that's not my problem."

The Mayo man added: "We were watching games and the ball was being thrown and slung around the place.

"Some lads were throwing the ball better than Brian O'Driscoll
so at a Connacht Council meeting, we decided that we wanted to put something definite on it."

And despite pleas from managers and players to revert back to the old rule, GAA director-general Paraic Duffy insists there will be no going back.

"There will be absolutely no rowing back," he said yesterday.

"If teams want referees to go and explain the rules, I am quite happy to keep doing that until the penny drops - but the rule will remain."

The bit I've highlighted begs the question - why didn't the referees penalise them and if they didn't why didn't Mr Prenty and the other assorted clowns get on the the refs to do their job? Now that's simple Mr Prenty - applying the rules properly. A paid official ridiculing the people who generate the money for his wages - only in Ireland.

Well put Seanie.

I hope Mr Prenty reads your post

crossfire

Mr Duffy says that Croke Park sent 6 elite Referees to meet the teams. ::)

Where did they get them from ?.  ???

Did they go around the Graveyards and dig them up.

Jinxy

I have to say I never noticed this epidemic of throw-balls in football.
In hurling however it is blatant and rarely punished.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

catchandkick

No need to scrap new rules, the problem is referees incorrectly penalising legitimate handpasses.

Would love to see a DVD compilation showing instances of 'throwing' over the last few years, which Eugene McGee and co. seem to think has been a problem in the game which needed rectifying.

WHY INTRODUCE A RULE FOR A PROBLEM THAT DIDN'T EXIST???

bingobus

This throwing is just nonsense and a cover by them. They want to make it harder for players to play a short running game and make a basic skill for them, harder to play with. Short term solution was to introduce this rule - untrialed and at short notice.

In a year or so, players will have fully adapted to it and the same problem they are trying to stamp out will still exist ie short running game.

"Throwing" my arse  ;D

rosnarun

the real problem is they have brought in another rule that the referees can not properly implement . all the real contentious issues last sunday were from the ref  getting it wrong rather than the rule its self. along with the taclke Fottball could become un-ref-able
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

orangeman

Week number 2 there's still a really big problem !!!!!!!!

Has the penny not dropped yet ??

Send a bagful of pebbles to each county board this week ala Armagh.

SLIGONIAN

Prenty is a mayoman, hopefully karma will see it may comeback to bite him in the ass. If some ref calls it wrong later in the championship and costs mayo. For some reason i cant see it happening them in connacht as refs seem to favour them, ive no doubt we will be in luck on June 5th to have a fair ref in our game ;) like john bannon in 08 when he may aswell kicked over 1-2 in the 1st half that day but in fairness we were muck that day and hammering us did mayo no favours.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on May 23, 2010, 10:54:03 PM
Anybody see the one they showed in the Meath - Offaly match? The ref blew a foul but the boy clearly drew his arm right back and fisted it properly.
which one was that?  The one where the offaly lad played a perfectly legitimate fist pass to his team mate only for the ref to blow him up and award Meath a free kick 30yds out in front of the posts?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 23, 2010, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 23, 2010, 10:54:03 PM
Anybody see the one they showed in the Meath - Offaly match? The ref blew a foul but the boy clearly drew his arm right back and fisted it properly.
which one was that?  The one where the offaly lad played a perfectly legitimate fist pass to his team mate only for the ref to blow him up and award Meath a free kick 30yds out in front of the posts?

Ya that was one of the many, it was 6-2 to meath at that stage, fcking ridiculous decision, imagine if meath won by a 1pt. Some team is going to get robbed and im just praying its not Sligo in 2 weeks time.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"