Leinster Minor Championship 2010

Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 17, 2010, 12:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on July 04, 2010, 09:25:33 PM
just home from that and am over the moon. but i have to be realistic, longford beat a kildare team that was far superior. it was daylight robbery. the number 6 for kildare was superb

I didn't feel that we'd anticipated a result here, so I have to commiserate with Kildare here - unusual for a small county to get such a rub of the green.  A repeat of 2002 on the cards??
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 05, 2010, 11:23:59 AM
Quote from: The Forfeit Point on July 04, 2010, 09:25:33 PM
just home from that and am over the moon. but i have to be realistic, longford beat a kildare team that was far superior. it was daylight robbery. the number 6 for kildare was superb

I didn't feel that we'd anticipated a result here, so I have to commiserate with Kildare here - unusual for a small county to get such a rub of the green.  A repeat of 2002 on the cards??

i dont think anyone expected a win except the players and management to be honest. it looks like our luck is in so a repeat of 2002 could well be possible.... although offaly beat longford in the first round by 22 points  :o

i was very impressed with kildare, when taking future senior players into consideration they have much much more going for them than us. but its about time we did get the rub of the green, too often we have been the ones robbed or unlucky against the big guns!

that young mckeon lad from colmcille is a very nice prospect

Donnellys Hollow

Last night was very disappointing because this group of players could have really given anyone a rattle had they got to Croke Park (Dublin who we beat twice won the Ulster League reasonably easily). It was always going to be difficult without Hurley and Cribbin though.

Plenty of reasons to be upbeat about Kildare's future however. Moolick, Feely, Hurley, Comerford, Dowling and Fogarty all have big futures ahead of them. Hopefully Australia will be the making of Paul Cribbin too á la Niall Buckley.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Longford 5 points ahead with only a few minutes left. Some turn around from the first round when the Biffos tanked them.

I'm sure Brian Murphy and his team are kicking themsleves.

Donnellys Hollow

Offaly 0-08 0-14 Longford, Croke Park FT

They'll be muttering in the gardens tonight!  :D

Dinny Breen

Well done Longford.

Can't help but think what if  :'(
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2010, 02:16:46 PM
Well done Longford.

No offence to Kildare fans. But them losing to Longford was an unmitigated disaster and a shambles really. Thats the best kildare underage team I've ever seen in my life. No doubt in my mind Kildare were the best team in the country this year.
I saw all the ulster minor league and dublin beat all of them bar one and kildare were better then us. You can't put a price on the confidence to be gaining from winning underage titles. priceless in my view.

However well done to longford and hopefully rather then the last good minor team they had they will mind this one and get some seniors off it and keep them off the booze.

Shamrock Shore

Great second half from Longford and I am thrilled to see us win another minor.

Felt sympathy for Offaly - they seemed to lose the will to win in the second half and Longford were able to outclass them.

Now if we can avoid the mistakes of 2002 (already alluded to here) then we are in with a shout of better things to come.

Blue and Navy

Ye may be able to help me out here lads, but did that Longford team actually lose to Kilkenny in the Leinster league earlier in the year?

AZOffaly

Well done to Longford, delighted for ye, although it's very disappointing that our young lads never turned up. That happens in Minor though.

Well done to the Larry Ogs.

North Longford

Just home from the games and have to say well done to the lads fantastic second half performance. Very lucky to be only a point behind at half time but were absolutely brilliant in th second half completely outplaying Offaly. Brilliant effort from all involved.
As for the last minor team quite a lot of them have played for the seniors with 4 of them playing yesterday and 4 more from the following years minor team which was actually seen as a better team in Longford and probably proved that by reaching the Leinster U21 final in their final year and only going down by a couple of points to Laois. I think bringing 8 players through from 2 minor teams would probably be a pretty good return. No matter how good a countys minor team is there are always lads that just won't be good enough for county senior football.
Indeed I'd say there were max 5 or 6 of todays team who have a better than avarage chance of making a county senior footballer....but they have proved to be very good minors and thats all that matters today!

Lone Shark

Congrats to Longford, by far the better team on the day and worthy winners. I'm absolutely gutted, we really needed to win one of these (that's five Leinster minor finals lost in ten years now) and today was a great chance, but our full forward line looked very mediocre today and our lack of scoring forwards finally came back to haunt us.

We had been very dependent on Noel Andrew Graham to chip in with a big scoring tally from midfield and there was always likely to be a consequence when he had a bad day.

In terms of team development, I thought a lot of our backs enhanced their good reputations and bearing in mind where Offaly football needs the most help coming years, that's a good sign.

Still gutted though. Took all the joy out of yesterday evening for me.

Bord na Mona man

Great win for Longford today that was fully merited.
It was very frustrating from an Offaly perspective though - No attacking gameplan, no intervention from the sideline when it was clear from a long way out that Longford were gradually building up momentum.

The turnaround in Longford's fortunes from the opening round is one of the big stories of the year.

put-it-up

Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2010, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2010, 02:16:46 PM
Well done Longford.

No offence to Kildare fans. But them losing to Longford was an unmitigated disaster and a shambles really. Thats the best kildare underage team I've ever seen in my life. No doubt in my mind Kildare were the best team in the country this year.
I saw all the ulster minor league and dublin beat all of them bar one and kildare were better then us. You can't put a price on the confidence to be gaining from winning underage titles. priceless in my view.

However well done to longford and hopefully rather then the last good minor team they had they will mind this one and get some seniors off it and keep them off the booze.

Indi you must be flat out in pubs or else in AA. You can always pint out who has been boozing  ;D

downredblack

Well done Longford , delighted they got the win . Met some sound Longford men in McCoys prior to the the game last night . One of which played with Paddy Docherty in London many years ago . A busy weekend for the Longford faithful and they brought a brave crowd with them to Newry and I'm sure they were out again today .