Leinster Minor Championship 2010

Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 17, 2010, 12:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

No thread on this as far as I could see, does anyone know what time the games start on Saturday??? God forbid they'd be on gaa.ie or the leinster website...  ::)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Shamrock Shore

Croí

My eldest brother is involved with the Longford minors so I will axe him what time the Longford v Westmeath match is next Sat.

I assume this is the only one you are interested in

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 17, 2010, 12:34:41 PM
Croí

My eldest brother is involved with the Longford minors so I will axe him what time the Longford v Westmeath match is next Sat.

I assume this is the only one you are interested in

Well it's the one I'd have most interest in anyways, thanks SS. Feel free to ask him as well where your strengths and weaknesses are, what position does your brother play by the way???  :P

Edit: Found them on www.sportsnewsireland.com, the GAA doesn't make it easy...

ESB Leinster Minor Football Championship quarter-finals
Kildare v Dublin, Newbridge, 3.00pm
Laois v Wicklow, Portlaoise, 5.15pm
Longford v Westmeath, Pearse Park, 3.00pm
Meath v Offaly, Pairc Tailteann, 3.00pm

Shamrock Shore

Croí

Jazes. If they let almost 50 year olds play minior then the brudder will probably line out in goals.

The game throws in at 3 pm in Mullingar.

Longford have recovered from a first round hammering by Offaly to beat Wexford and Carlow in the back-door. Not really qualified to discuss strengths or weaknesses as I havent seen them in action. Laureleye may have a better handle on them.

Croí na hÉireann

Thanks SS but found them courtesy of a link on another thread. Certain that it's in Longford but if you want to give up home advantage it's not a problem as I know you're a fan of the Dunnes Stores car park...  :P The older brother playing was a tongue in cheek comment as well by the way, were Horslips playing late into the night at the weekend???

Hopefully its a good game anyway, both teams saw off a poor Carlow team comfortably enough so it's hard to know where the form lies...

Shamrock Shore

Croí

WH involked a 'home and away' agreement from a few years ago so the game is in the shopping trolley section of Dunnes. It was originally due to be played in Longford. As you said it's hard to call this one. As long as it's a good game and that some make it through to the seniors as it's famine time in Longford at the moment.

Horslips not togging out again until June 26 in Langerland but Jim and Barry were in the States last week doing a documentary for TG4 on the fellow (Micky McGowan) who was the inspiration for their album from 1978 called 'The Man Who Built America'

Croí na hÉireann

I'll happily stand corrected on that one if it comes to pass as it'll save me the guts of 60 miles, was not aware of an agreement at underage. Someone would want to tell the bloody Leinster council so http://leinster.gaa.ie/fixtures/esb_minorfootball.asp  >:(

Croí na hÉireann

Witnessed the worst match I've ever seen at any level in Cusack Park on Saturday. The only bright spots were the 2 no. 8's who were head and shoulders above everyone else. Felt sorry for McNicholas to be on the loosing side as he was quite simply outstanding, won every ball that came out to him, found a man every time and ran his heart out. All the rest of his team mates should hang their heads in shame. Heavin and his entourage need to have a long hard look at themselves as well. They were hymning and hawing for about 5 mins on the sideline at half time about the space down there and your man up here when it was as plain as day that the lads were as flat as a pancake and that they needed a fire lit under them. I don't expect to see Heavin there next year, second year we've massively underachieved.

Best of luck to Longford in the next round but if they play like that again they'll be beat out the gate. I trust that wasn't the brother in the yellow bib SS as he made a bit of a tool out of himself shouting "PPPOOOOOOSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTT" at every Westmeath freekick, no need for that from the sideline...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 24, 2010, 11:42:06 AM
Witnessed the worst match I've ever seen at any level in Cusack Park on Saturday. The only bright spots were the 2 no. 8's who were head and shoulders above everyone else. Felt sorry for McNicholas to be on the loosing side as he was quite simply outstanding, won every ball that came out to him, found a man every time and ran his heart out. All the rest of his team mates should hang their heads in shame. Heavin and his entourage need to have a long hard look at themselves as well. They were hymning and hawing for about 5 mins on the sideline at half time about the space down there and your man up here when it was as plain as day that the lads were as flat as a pancake and that they needed a fire lit under them. I don't expect to see Heavin there next year, second year we've massively underachieved.

Best of luck to Longford in the next round but if they play like that again they'll be beat out the gate. I trust that wasn't the brother in the yellow bib SS as he made a bit of a tool out of himself shouting "PPPOOOOOOSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTT" at every Westmeath freekick, no need for that from the sideline...

I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se Croi. That's a reminder to the defenders to watch out for balls coming back of the post. Maybe they've been caught out with that a few times this year or something.

That's like my mantra for every kickout 'BRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKSSSS' :D

INDIANA

Phenomenal performance form Dublin on Saturday, Missing a lot of first choice players they were beaten twice and came back to snatch a draw twice on Saturday. I thought they were brilliant to a man and if we could get over Kildare we could do damage. But I think it will be a bridge too far . Missing too many and Kildare are a fine side . Unlikely to let us off the hook again. But most of our best players are elligible next year which augurs well.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 24, 2010, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 24, 2010, 11:42:06 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se Croi. That's a reminder to the defenders to watch out for balls coming back of the post. Maybe they've been caught out with that a few times this year or something.

That's like my mantra for every kickout 'BRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKSSSS' :D

If it wasn't designed to try and put the kicker off I'd agree with you, plenty of time after the ball has left the boot to wail like a banshee (I still have a bit of ringing in the aul ears from him)...

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on May 24, 2010, 12:02:58 PM
Phenomenal performance form Dublin on Saturday, Missing a lot of first choice players they were beaten twice and came back to snatch a draw twice on Saturday. I thought they were brilliant to a man and if we could get over Kildare we could do damage. But I think it will be a bridge too far . Missing too many and Kildare are a fine side . Unlikely to let us off the hook again. But most of our best players are elligible next year which augurs well.

Cracking game of football. Kildare were very sluggish out of the blocks - possibly mentally they thought it would be like the last day?

Dubs took their chances well. That Dawson lad had a stormer in Kilkenny's absence. Surprised Brian Murphy didn't drop Comerford deeper to sweep up in front of him. I thought Kildare showed their superiority when they upped the tempo but they only really played in fits and starts. Hurley, Fogarty and Cribbin in particular looked dangerous.

A more cynical and experienced team would have put a stop to the Dublin goal before the move had began but hopefully they'll learn from it. Hard to call the replay. Dublin might feel they can finally beat us now in their own back yard but hopefully young Feely from Athy will be back. He had a stormer in the first round match and was badly missed on Saturday.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

was philly ryan inj ?

INDIANA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 24, 2010, 03:19:21 PM
was philly ryan inj ?

looked like he picked up a knock to me. Danny Byrne is struggling and O Conghaile is doubtful as well. Running out of players.

Donnellys Hollow

JTB's Paul Cribbin off to Collingwood in October  :-\
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?