Munster 1st round Cork V Tipp

Started by Reillers, May 16, 2010, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

A great day for the old guard, Sean Og had a great day, Donal Og pulled off a stunning save. Passing was crisp, all over the park. It looked like we'd a game plan and direction which had been missing in our last game or so.

Homework was done for the game though and we were on top in every position on the pitch. First to 50/50 ball and I'd say they were amazed by the amount of space we got.

Especially for AOH goal I mean Jerry probably couldn't believe his eyes. He was in acres of space and some. On Jerry O Connor, some saw him as quiet, but he gave Conor O Mahoney an awful time, dragged him all over the pitch, took him out of the game completely, untill Tipp took him off.

Just everyone from 1-15 and plus had a magnificent game.

Sheedy got it really wrong, the amount of high balls that rained down on the likes of Cadogan, unreal. They were slow to the ball in the midfield, and with the pace we have in there, it was only ever going to mean one thing.

A lot of potential in there a long with a great day from the "over the hill" players. 
Aisake had a great day, as did Horgan, Naughton, and POS is really challenging and pushing for a spot. Hopefully now he'll fullfill the promise we all saw two or so seasons ago.

On another point, which no one has mentioned, the best tactic today was Walsh's decision to move Aisake off Maher in the league game.

Watched Ben/Donal Og and Denis Walsh's interview when I got home on RTE and Sunday game, you really can't beat the Cork bitterness.

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2010, 09:46:10 PM
Tipp were worse than brutal today. Not only were they beaten by a far better team but they had no balls at all. 1 Cork man winning a ball between 3 Tipp men on many occasions. No fight in them whatsoever. Their forward line in particular didn't want to know.

Can't wait to get them in Casement. ;)

BTW - Penalty my hole. Aisake was charging.

Really I know there have been changes in the rules, but I didn't realise the piggy back had been brought in to the game.

INDIANA

POS must be related to you Reillers for all the plugs you give him here. Must be a slower burner then the Olympic Flame.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on May 30, 2010, 11:02:54 PM
POS must be related to you Reillers for all the plugs you give him here. Must be a slower burner then the Olympic Flame.

Ah now, now, he's rarely mentioned and he's got buckets full of potential.

And do ya not feel like responding to Zulo at all?  ;)

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on May 30, 2010, 11:04:42 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 30, 2010, 11:02:54 PM

Ah now, now, he's rarely mentioned and he's got buckets full of potential.

And do ya not feel like responding to Zulo at all?  ;)

Not much to respond to except if you wanted to back killkenny you needed to do it yesterday. Because you won't get a decent price on them in the morning.

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2010, 11:11:15 PM
Quote from: Reillers on May 30, 2010, 11:01:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2010, 09:46:10 PM
Tipp were worse than brutal today. Not only were they beaten by a far better team but they had no balls at all. 1 Cork man winning a ball between 3 Tipp men on many occasions. No fight in them whatsoever. Their forward line in particular didn't want to know.

Can't wait to get them in Casement. ;)

BTW - Penalty my hole. Aisake was charging.

Really I know there have been changes in the rules, but I didn't realise the piggy back had been brought in to the game.
Where was the piggy back? Aisake got the ball and charged straight at the Tipp back, making no attempt to go around him. Charging in my book.
They were all over him, arms around his back, his head..etc if I remember rightly, either way we got a goal out of it.

Bud Wiser

First time in about three years I got sick drinking a pint and looking at a hurling match.  When ya see a lad with a sprayed on fake tan taking on three Tipp men and beating them it is time to look for the slashook. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 31, 2010, 12:02:50 AM
First time in about three years I got sick drinking a pint and looking at a hurling match.  When ya see a lad with a sprayed on fake tan taking on three Tipp men and beating them it is time to look for the slashook.

Fake tan?  ::) ::)  Grow up.

johnneycool

Fair play to the Cork men, they took their beating off Galway, went away and done their homework. Yesterday they crowded out the middle third with their half forward line almost into midfield and Gardiner sweeping up leaving no room whatsoever for the Tipp forwards who obviously don't like the tight confines.
Donal O'G stuck to what he is good at, shot stopping, organising his defence and his puck outs were sticking in the hands of his intended targets then it was a good day at the office.
Whoever has turned Aisake into a hurler over the last few weeks should be replacing Paudie Butler in Croke park as they've worked miracles ground hurling aside as Duignan pointed out. His awkward, gangly style had young Maher all over the place and certainly that unnerved the whole Tipp defence. I'd have though Fanning's more physical approach would have worked better on Aisiake but there you go. It's never good when your fullback and centre back who was replaced were all at sea and its time to go home when Niall McCarthy puts over two very good points.

Tipp were all at sea yesterday and have issues all over the place, but its hard to see them being as bad as they were yesterday and they'd be looking for a handy draw in the qualifiers to get back in the groove.

Cork looked to be serious contenders yesterday, but can those old legs and minds keep going to the well all summer. Will other teams learn from yesterday and counteract the hurling equivalent of the planket defence and swarm tackle?
They're in with a shout as Galway are stuttering, probably weighed down with a bit of expectation ot home, Tipp haven't shown the same fire to date, there's time yet, Kilkenny will hope to turn it on come championship time after a non eventful league campaign, Waterford, lord only knows!
Only time will tell.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2010, 01:06:32 PM
I wouldn't agree with any of that. thats a better tipp side then last year. As people will see on Sunday.

I could go to town on that comment. But I won't, for one reason. That Tipp team aren't as bad as they were made look there. What showed up in a big way was the total ineptitude of the Tipp sideline, firstly in how ill-prepared they were for this game and, secondly, how poor they were during the game. 2 very obvious examples are how long they waited to switch Maher off Aisaike and how long it took them to cotton onto the short puck-outs.

I reckon the game was won and lost in the first 30 mins. I wouldn't pay heed to how much Tipp lost by as the heads went down from about 15 mins into the second half. But that first 30 minutes was where Cork did most of the damage and by 'damage' I don't necessarily refer to what they chalked up score-wise. Moreso how they bolstered themselves in terms of confidence and mental strength, and likewise the damage they did to Tipp in these same areas.

And someone mentioned midfield last week (me maybe). That was such a crucial area and Tipp barely got a puck there. Aisaike had a huge impact for sure, but the reason he did was because of the acres of space midfield had to pick out their nice floated passes in.

Tipp's new players? What the hell was Sheedy at. That experiment with O'Meara backfired hugely. Cadogan ate him and that served to feed his confidence hugely.

Not to take from Cork at all but Tipp's management need to take a long, hard look at themselves and consider if they're up to the job. Its one thing being popular with the players and being a people person, but its a serious no-no to take on a team at this level with no hurling savvy at all. And maybe thats harsh, but thats what it looked like to me. Sheedy's short-fuse was clearly evident yesterday and one wonders if that inhibited whatever clarity of thought he might have had when needing to think of what they could do to curb Cork in those first 30 mins. And why Maher to wing-back and not center-back? Why not try and bring Corbett back to midfield and get him more involved in the game? Why not try and make more space for Callinan by getting midfield and wing-forwards to give him a bit of room.

And sadly for Tipp (again as I suggested might be the case last week), Eoin Kelly doesn't look up to this level anymore.

Patrick Horgan is a joy to watch. A seriously skilful operator.

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 31, 2010, 12:02:50 AM

What's that supposed to mean?

INDIANA

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 31, 2010, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2010, 01:06:32 PM
I wouldn't agree with any of that. thats a better tipp side then last year. As people will see on Sunday.

I could go to town on that comment. But I won't, for one reason. That Tipp team aren't as bad as they were made look there. What showed up in a big way was the total ineptitude of the Tipp sideline, firstly in how ill-prepared they were for this game and, secondly, how poor they were during the game. 2 very obvious examples are how long they waited to switch Maher off Aisaike and how long it took them to cotton onto the short puck-outs.

I reckon the game was won and lost in the first 30 mins. I wouldn't pay heed to how much Tipp lost by as the heads went down from about 15 mins into the second half. But that first 30 minutes was where Cork did most of the damage and by 'damage' I don't necessarily refer to what they chalked up score-wise. Moreso how they bolstered themselves in terms of confidence and mental strength, and likewise the damage they did to Tipp in these same areas.

And someone mentioned midfield last week (me maybe). That was such a crucial area and Tipp barely got a puck there. Aisaike had a huge impact for sure, but the reason he did was because of the acres of space midfield had to pick out their nice floated passes in.

Tipp's new players? What the hell was Sheedy at. That experiment with O'Meara backfired hugely. Cadogan ate him and that served to feed his confidence hugely.

Not to take from Cork at all but Tipp's management need to take a long, hard look at themselves and consider if they're up to the job. Its one thing being popular with the players and being a people person, but its a serious no-no to take on a team at this level with no hurling savvy at all. And maybe thats harsh, but thats what it looked like to me. Sheedy's short-fuse was clearly evident yesterday and one wonders if that inhibited whatever clarity of thought he might have had when needing to think of what they could do to curb Cork in those first 30 mins. And why Maher to wing-back and not center-back? Why not try and bring Corbett back to midfield and get him more involved in the game? Why not try and make more space for Callinan by getting midfield and wing-forwards to give him a bit of room.

And sadly for Tipp (again as I suggested might be the case last week), Eoin Kelly doesn't look up to this level anymore.

Patrick Horgan is a joy to watch. A seriously skilful operator.
Why hold back? Tipp are not much better then they looked yesterday. I have no problem saying I got it badly wrong even if it doesn't stretch to praising Cork. Tipp were hammered by Dublin in the league. I was at the game. That game told more then it let on as did Tipp's meeting with Cork in the NHL. People think the NHL is a poor indicator- its actually a better indicator then people think.
Tipp struggled with AOS in the NHL and did nothing yesterday to counteract him in the air yesterday. That Tipp forward line bar Eoin kelly has no backbone when it comes to winning dirty ball. EK is a proven top class forward who can take punishment. You don't get rid of that. Lads like Callinan are Christmas decorations that only perform then the team plays well. Noel Mc Grath had an off day as did Corbett but I'd have no faith in the rest. But even still neither of them are ball winners.

Tipp are well ahead of the minnows like Offaly, Wexford and Dublin but well behind kilkenny and galway and now behind Cork as well. They will not win the all-ireland this year or next. They have massive problems. Honestly can't see anyone stopping kilkenny now. Probably some session in Langtons last night.

A real team would have regrouped at HT yesterday only 2 points down. Instead they completely imploded. Galway went down to 14 men and answered with a goal on Saturday evening. Thats the difference between a team going places and one going backwards.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on May 31, 2010, 10:06:24 AM
People think the NHL is a poor indicator- its actually a better indicator then people think.

I think for the early rounds of the championship, with the benefit of hindsight, thats a very true statement.

gallsman

Something of a shock just how comprehensive this victory was - I don't think it flattered Cork in any way whatsoever. They completely snuffed out anything resembling a threat from Tipp, with many of their big names completely anonymous. Kelly and McGrath did nothing at all and while Corbett started brightly, he was shut down pretty quickly. Cadogan couldn't have asked for a better game to stamp his authority on the full back position - O'Meara didn't look up to it at all, either the pace or the skill of the game. The half back line was exceptional once again.

Aisake might not have the hurling in him of some others on the team, but in that sort of form he'll do damage to any team, especially with Gardiner dropping pinpoint balls on him all afternoon - Maher will have nightmares about him for weeks to come. What's shocking is that despite seeing the damage he could do in the league game, Sheedy didn't appear to have taken any specific corrective action.

Tipp are certainly not out of the AI race, they've far too many talented players to vanish altogether this season, but the fall from grace after last year's final is enormous.

As comprehensive a victory as it was, the penalty definitely shouldn't have been awarded - blatant charged. For the second goal - blatant dive by Aisake. Is there a dive rule in hurling??

PS - This just off the newsreel - Reillers expected to announce Cork as favourites for the AI, Cathal Naughton for HOTY, after four years of doing nothing since his 1-1 as a sub against Waterford.

INDIANA

Dunno where Sheedy goes after that. Problems in every line on the park. I mean one of their forwards goes through on goal gets bottled up, has 2 forwards on the 21 waiting to tap it over. Instead tries a a drop shot from 23 yards which doesn't go 2 yards and the ball is cleared. Nothing Sheedy can do about that.

Struck me yesterday the team is too young. Tipp have too many lads in key positions who are too inexperienced by the looks of it. EK can't be everywhere. He has enough to do be doing marking Cadogan who is a good hurler. But he got no support up there yesterday. Not sure they have the replacements either. Most people were basing their assessment on Tipp's first 15 replicating last years performances. Hammersley looked lively when he came on. Hennessy was a star minor but he didn't catch any puckouts when he came on. Gearoid Ryan is a good hurler but I couldn't honestly pick his best position. I don't envy Sheedy's task where people are expecting an all-ireland as their basis for a good season.

If Cork can keep that level of performance up they'll give anyone a game.
Except Kilkenny.