The Sunday Game 2010

Started by Jinxy, May 16, 2010, 01:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: Jinxy on May 16, 2010, 03:27:08 PM
But it was shoulder to shoulder.  ???

Exactly, so its deemed as charging. Well that was the impression I got from it when i read the explanations in the newspaper

Logan

Quote from: put-it-up on May 16, 2010, 03:29:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 16, 2010, 03:27:08 PM
But it was shoulder to shoulder.  ???

Exactly, so its deemed as charging. Well that was the impression I got from it when i read the explanations in the newspaper

Soft c**k referees

Schkite

It's a great shame that a perfectly executed shoulder like that can be deemed against the rules now, soft refs is right.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Has anyone been able to access the Wicklow v Carlow web only Sunday Game?

It's telling me: "There's currently no schedule information for the channel you have requested"
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on May 16, 2010, 03:47:40 PM
Has anyone been able to access the Wicklow v Carlow web only Sunday Game?

It's telling me: "There's currently no schedule information for the channel you have requested"

Working fine for me. Just go into the rte live player and click on the link. Gearoid O Connamha doing a Maurice Deegan at the moment.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Milltown Row2

has anyone noticed the commentators talking about 'kick passes ' as this is something new or something.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

put-it-up

First goal of the year ruled out for this new hand-pass crack. I honestly reckon by the AI QF stage it will be back to normal and people will just forget about it.

Actually like that rule where sidelines are taken from off the field though!

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on May 16, 2010, 03:32:02 PM
It's a great shame that a perfectly executed shoulder like that can be deemed against the rules now, soft refs is right.
I think the ref thought it was a fair shoulder challenge.

thejuice

wait so, how am I only realising this now, you can't shoulder someone anymore?? What the f**k are they doing to the game. In who's f**king interest are the GAA doing this for.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on May 16, 2010, 05:55:55 PM
wait so, how am I only realising this now, you can't shoulder someone anymore?? What the f**k are they doing to the game. In who's f**king interest are the GAA doing this for.

< 1975 Gaelic Football
1970 - 1986 Gaelic handball
1987 - 1999 Gaelic Hardball
2000 - 2001 Gaelic Runball
2002 - 2009 Gaelic Blanketball
2010 - ? Gay
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

it has become a sad state of affairs, when there is more attention paid to the ref, who in my mind is a poor one than in the game as a whole.

GAA who I am a lifelong fan of, need to remember the people who pay at the turnstile, are looking for a little more than the farcical stuff playing out with the ref's and linesmen. The level of self importance they are placing on themselves is disgusting, let the players play the game.

Main Street

Quote from: thejuice on May 16, 2010, 05:55:55 PM
That's not a realisation, that's just freaking out.

McKeever's shoulder charge was legal and deemed legal by the ref , just like the other shoulder charges in the game.

Zulu

Was it? If it was why weren't Armagh given the sideline, I know there was a bit of pusdhing a shoving but the Derry man started that.

thejuice

Your not too wrong there muppet.

RE: mainstreet, maybe I am freaking out, I still think i have a tangible grip on my sanity and however, as I didnt see anyone pulled up for a shoulder although McHugh was raising a point abut it at half time

Its been something I've been thinking about for a while now and depite the thread I started yesterday about how great it is to see the championship back, watching todays games has brought me back down to earth. If I had the resources and the time I would love to start from scratch with Gaelic football, away from the GAA, free of the bureaucracy and 'traditions' and all that. Re-write the rules, the game, from start to finish. I think in a way it needs to happen.

Its nothing to do with professionalism, i just feel the game would benefit an awful lot if we could free ourselves from the councils, committees etc. Even just for a few years if a rival to the GAA could almost be set up to try and see what could be possible with the game. It would also be of benefit for the GAA as they dont need to f**k around with the rules which ruin the NFL. At the moment it seesm the game is being pulled in too many directions and we're not sure who's doing the pulling, why, or to where.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

put-it-up

Honestly lads I couldn't believe it either but unless I am ridiculously wrong here, it basically prohibits using the shoulder to stop your man - if he is in possession of the ball and on the run. I think it is still ok to go shoulder to shoulder if you are fighting for possession.

To me championship is about a battle. Its about your team trying to beat the other team and it that means giving a good shoulder then so be it. I thought McKeever's shoulder was class.  And, this bollix about the handpass is not helping anyone. It's just pissing me off.

And to be fair on the ref, its puttin him in an awful awkward position as well. Like half the time he can't actually see the handpass up close so he looks like a bollix when he calls it because the powers that be told him to be 'more fussy'. It's just a stupid rule and by the QF stage it will be back to normal. Like everyone knows you can't throw the ball why can't we leave it at that.

And as for the Sunday game, every year they open up with the show with ' football is so crap nowadays'. It really bugs me. Like Kerry  kicked some serious scores and Donaghy was terrific. Armagh dont have a massive man at FF so they have to play a different way and make the most of what they have got. Does that make them any less deserving of winning an AI - I don't think so.

We all see flaws in the game but Championship has arrived and you swear we played the worst sport in the world listening to that panel today. There pessimistic, out-dated, and because they run out of productive things to say - just give out about the blanket defence cos it eats up the minutes.

Armagh and Derry was no classic but I was sure glad to see two teams playing with genuine passion and hunger after watching several league games that are just glorified challenges - but that argument is for another day.