The Good Things I Saw Today

Started by Olly, May 13, 2010, 09:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

I was reading a few days ago and a boys says to get up every morning in a positive mood and your whole world will change. He says to smile at people and their whole demeanear changes towards you and you'll find you'll get opportunites you never did before. I tried it all this week and it's amazing the difference. People smile back at you and even maybe wink.

It got me thinking but we seem to be down on a lot of things. On this board we'll talk about loads of negative things. We never say nice things about each other and are angry a lot. Like, why not start a thread with 'The good things I saw today' ? It could be men helping old women across the street or someone doing something dramatic for their neighbour like opening an oil cannister or babysitting and maybe they personally are gravely ill or have a disease.

The newspapers tell stories of the bad things in life like earthquakes and starvation. Why don't we ignore them and just write about good things and then the bad things might not happen.

I'll start:

Today I bought a packet of Kimberleys for a stranger.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

ziggysego

Today at work, someone at reception dropped a few things on the floor. I bent down to pick them up, but fell out of the wheelchair and landed on my face. Being positive doesn't help. Just means when you come back down to reality again, you come down with an almighty bang.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Was speaking to my neighbour this morning and she does volunteer work for girls with head injuries. They had taken 5 girls out to a city centre chinese and had a great meal. When she went up to pay the bill, she was informed that a man who had been in with his daughter had paid for their meals. The girls loved this and when their parents came down to collect them, they told them that they must be the best looking girls in the world as a man had bought them dinner.
A genuine act of human kindness, the man had left before the group realised what he had done.
Tbc....

deiseach

Woke up. Mrs d beside me, breathing steadily. Ready to face the world

nrico2006

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 13, 2010, 09:44:23 AM
Was speaking to my neighbour this morning and she does volunteer work for girls with head injuries. They had taken 5 girls out to a city centre chinese and had a great meal. When she went up to pay the bill, she was informed that a man who had been in with his daughter had paid for their meals. The girls loved this and when their parents came down to collect them, they told them that they must be the best looking girls in the world as a man had bought them dinner.
A genuine act of human kindness, the man had left before the group realised what he had done.

Class.  Olly, funny that someone was saying something similar to me the other day, about positive thoughts and all that.  I suppose if people are going around in a doom and gloom state all the time it is easily picked up on by others intheir company and sets the whole tone for the conversation.  If everyone is constantly in bad form due to day to day tribulations (money worries, health worries etc) then those fortunate enough to constantly be in a good mood will have no interest in being around them, so its an endless cycle for the doom and gloomers out there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

I agree with Olly on this.  I stopped listening to Matt cooper or George Hook as I was always depressed after the program.  My neighbour took the kids to school today and that may not seem like much but it gave me an extra 15 minutes to be on here so it must be good!

longrunsthefox

I have found that if I turn off the radio coming home from work I see so many things I never noticed before. Especially this time of year... with the trees and nests and stuff like that. There was too much noise before to pay attention to what was around me. Life is beautiful - strive to be happy. Thanks Olly.

JohnDenver

Every further minute i see going up on my computer screen is a good thing so that it comes closer to the time that i can leave this dungeon!

Orior

I'm having to think long and hard about good things I've seen today. Nothing comes to mind yet. I must be in the wrong time, in the wrong job, in the wrong part of Ireland.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

longrunsthefox

Get over the Blackwater into Tyrone Orior... for real peace and tranquility  :)

tyrone girl

Quote from: JohnDenver on May 13, 2010, 10:23:03 AM
Every further minute i see going up on my computer screen is a good thing so that it comes closer to the time that i can leave this dungeon!

Fools seldom differ cos im thinking the same

Rois

The doorman in the hotel I'm staying in opened the taxi door for me this morning.  That was nice.

nrico2006

Agree with LRTF.  At this time of year especially, there is so much around you on your way to work and back that should put you in good form.  I don't know if its influenced by nostalgia by when I was younger and outdoors more, but seeing all the daffodils, lambs and those class looking pink coloured trees really improve the mood.  All you hear on the radio and tv is about murders, deaths, sexual abuse, money problems or suicides.  These topics seem to dominate our media, and the increase in the amount of airtime/column inches they recive seems to have a knock on affect in that everyone is then talking about the bad things that go on, and subsequently everyone subconciously become that little bit gloomier.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ziggysego

Quote from: Rois on May 13, 2010, 11:02:43 AM
The doorman in the hotel I'm staying in opened the taxi door for me this morning.  That was nice.

Sorry to crush you Rois, but that's his job.
Testing Accessibility

small white mayoman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 13, 2010, 09:44:23 AM

thats a great story as for the the good things i saw today hars to beat the newly improved hot ladies thread ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007