Arlene Foster - should she be a Minister?

Started by Rosie McCann, May 08, 2010, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie McCann

Friends of mine are Civil Servants and are for ever telling me that they are warned to be neutral, to be non party political etc etc. They are also warned off about flags and emblems etc in case they offend any colleagues. Arlene Foster is the Minister for the DETI. Does her waving of the Union flag at the Fermanagh and South Tyrone count not contravene the very standards that her Department espouses and should she be dismissed from her position for setting a bad example?

Maguire01

She's a politician - not exactly the same thing. Do SF ministers not have a tricolour in their offices?

Rosie McCann

No doubt you're right 'Maguire 01' about tricolours in private offices but that's not the point I'm making. If she was just a politician then what she engaged in is perfectly legitimate but she heads up a Government Department who preach equality and justice for all. If that had have been an ordinary member of DETI staff (or any other Department for that matter) you can be sure come Friday morning they would be claiming Jobseekers allowance. Arlene let her self down, let the emotion of the occasion get to her and showed herself up for what she is. Truth hurts but there you have it!

trileacman

Quote from: Rosie McCann on May 08, 2010, 07:31:50 PM
No doubt you're right 'Maguire 01' about tricolours in private offices but that's not the point I'm making. If she was just a politician then what she engaged in is perfectly legitimate but she heads up a Government Department who preach equality and justice for all. If that had have been an ordinary member of DETI staff (or any other Department for that matter) you can be sure come Friday morning they would be claiming Jobseekers allowance. Arlene let her self down, let the emotion of the occasion get to her and showed herself up for what she is. Truth hurts but there you have it!

Was Gildernew not waving a tricolour from the top of a transit van about omagh when she won?

I'm all for firing the incompetent, Hagrid look-alike but it is going to have to be on fair grounds and not accusations which could equally be levelled against our own side.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

sammymaguire

she's a bigot with many underlying issues and agendas, UUP was not staunch enough for her so she jumped ship, horrible piece of work (I think her mother may actually be/have been a catholic)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: sammymaguire on May 08, 2010, 08:31:05 PM
she's a bigot with many underlying issues and agendas, UUP was not staunch enough for her so she jumped ship, horrible piece of work (I think her mother may actually be/have been a catholic)

Sammymaguire, that would be interesting to find out, as I know for a fact that the bould bigot Robert McCartney also had close fenian family.
Tbc....

Aaron Boone

Arlene & Margaret Thatcher are the only women to have held government leader positions in the UK or Ireland.

ziggysego

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 08, 2010, 09:41:56 PM
Arlene & Margaret Thatcher are the only women to have held government leader positions in the UK or Ireland.

Not the only thing they have in common....
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on May 08, 2010, 09:46:59 PM

Did Arlene steal the milk too?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Quote from: Minder on May 08, 2010, 10:59:37 PM

Nah just two ugly hoors!!
The Aristocrat Years

trileacman

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 08, 2010, 11:01:26 PM

Thats not fair, I'm sure neither woman has ever been on the game. ;)
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

stew

Quote from: trileacman on May 09, 2010, 12:16:17 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 08, 2010, 11:01:26 PM

Thats not fair, I'm sure neither woman has ever been on the game. ;)

They are still two trollops no mater what way you cut it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Maguire01

No doubt you're right 'Maguire 01' about tricolours in private offices but that's not the point I'm making.
Rubbish - they're not private offices, they're public sector workplaces. And if the flags aren't enough, what about Easter lillies? Should they be banned for anyone in Government?

Before getting offended by the 'other side', people need to think about what's happening on their own side. Then you can either conclude that both sides are wrong in using flags or emblems, or have some tolerance for an alternative position.

Maguire01

If that had have been an ordinary member of DETI staff (or any other Department for that matter) you can be sure come Friday morning they would be claiming Jobseekers allowance.
I can guarantee you 100% that they wouldn't, for two reasons:
1) It didn't happen in the workplace; and
2) It's close to impossible to sack a civil servant