Sligeach v. Port Lairge

Started by magpie seanie, February 12, 2007, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

A good win for the men in black in difficult circumstances. One wonders whether we should bother playing O'Hara at all in the league - it seems that these new refs want to make a name for themselves by sending the great man to the line. A ridiculous double yellow again yesterday - neither were justified in my book. Injuries to Martyn and McNamara in the first half added to Sligo's problems. Anyway, I suppose it gave the chance for others to step up to the plate and it was a few unlikely lads that impressed. Kenny Sweeney at FF and Barry Kivlehan at wing back were excellent firing 7 points from play between them. With some average to below par performances from some of the older hands it was these young guys who saw us through and great credit to them. Others who impressed were Harrison, Gallagher and Breheny with Egan, Martyn and Kelly having many good moments too. Greene has developed into a top class goalkeeper and his kickouts were good yesterday - looks like he has put a bit of work into this area.

So as you can see its really a lot of the new lads that are doing the biz at present. Some of the more established guys need to get the finger out but doubtless they will. O'Hara is probably out for the Meath game but this will be offset somewhat by the return of Kieran Quinn. Hard to know how Martyn and McNamara will be - 50/50 perhaps. A win against the royals would put us in a good position. This league is going to be a slog with every point earned the hard way. Waterford battled like hell yesterday with a big, fit team and we did well to beat them.

Finally on the ref Robert O'Donnell. I have a little sympathy because obviously referees have explicit instructions to destroy gaelic football by issuing yellow cards for every foul. However, this lad took the biscuit. He rode us in the first half, changed his tune for 20 minutes of the second half (obviously got told at HT he fucked up on the O'Hara thing) and then turned again for the closing stages. It really is frustrating to watch these guys. Something needs to be done about it.

SLIGONIAN

Agree with most of your synopsis. Was a really happy leaving the park yesterday. Thought we were outstanding with 14men. Our full back line is class. Sweeney proved his performance against tipp was no fluke. Kivelhan was class. Them 2 stood out for me. Egan put some work in the middle. O hara looked great till he got sent off. He has to learn to cop on a bit and be a bit cleverer. Hes no good to us getting sent off and yes the ref was a joke but O hara has to take responsiblity for the chip on his shoulder. Martyn and Mcnamara looked serious enough injuries. Very sluggish walking after. Kelly, brehony, did very well yday. S davey well not one of his better days. Anywayss Meath next in the park. Hopefully therell be a bigger crowd. Obviously alot of sunshines in Sligo. ALL in all Im happy mainly because our squad shows it has alot of hidden strength and depth.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman2

Listened to the game yesterday and agree with your comments.

On face value people would say that it's pathetic that we are happy to beat Waterford by 3 points at home.  This Waterford team is no longer the whipping boys of the league and full credit to them.  When you factor in the rejuvenated Waterford team, the dismissal of O'Hara and the injuries, I think we can all be happy with the results especially since it was level with 10 minutes to go.

Harrison had a fantastic game yesterday, as did Sweeney and Kivlehan.  Kelly's speed caused all kinds of problems for the Waterford defence and they resorted to putting two markers on him.  Some of the older lads were very poor yesterday and I hate to say it Seanie but McPartland seem to have an awful outing, missed an open goal and lost posession easily or got bottled up.  Same applies to Davey and Egan apart from the last few minutes.  I have no doubt all three of these lads will improve.
I was surpised that he did not introduce Curran, as we could have done with his workrate when the chips were down midway through the second half. 
Did Mcnamara tear the hamstring?  Hopefully not as he seemed to be doing well for the few minutes he was on.

I think we can beat Meath at home as they have struggled against Cavan and Antrim and we always play them tough.  Did O'Hara get a red or was it two yellows????
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

O'Hara got two yellow in the space of about 2 minutes. Agree that he has to be more careful (against Leitrim he deserved to go for two silly yellows) but more often than not he is being victimised by referees because of who he is (Westmeath last summer and again yesterday).

As for Johnny Mac - I've never seen him play that well in February and I'm watching him playing football since he was ten. I've seen him in a lot worse physical shape this time of year though. He'll be grand come the summer.

The Meath game will see a bigger crowd though it may clash with the rugby again so it will probably just be the extra Meath folk.