League Final

Started by Reillers, April 29, 2010, 11:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 03, 2010, 12:03:00 AM
QuoteWalsh wants to do the direct style which some players are finding it hard to adjust to.

Gerald also wanted a more direct style and the players spent all their time resisting it.

Yes probably somewhat better off than last year but that is only because of the situation created by the players last year. Nothing to suggest that Wlash is any better (or worse) than Gerald. Maybe the players are beginning to realise that it is up to themselves and not always blame someone or something else. Blaming Frank has an expiry date!!!

Oh Jesus we're back to this. Get over it ffs.

We are trying to use it, and it's worked a bit, but we've never had players like the two we have up front, the players are trying to use it, but it doesn't fit right, but no one seems to know how.

I mean really though, get over it..how many accounts do you have Indy.

turk

Great point in the first half when canning horsed the full back out of it and hit it over

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on May 03, 2010, 12:07:56 AM
QuoteWalsh wants to do the direct style which some players are finding it hard to adjust to.

Gerald also wanted a more direct style and the players spent all their time resisting it.

Yes probably somewhat better off than last year but that is only because of the situation created by the players last year. Nothing to suggest that Wlash is any better (or worse) than Gerald. Maybe the players are beginning to realise that it is up to themselves and not always blame someone or something else. Blaming Frank has an expiry date!!!

We are trying to use it, and it's worked a bit, but we've never had players like the two we have up front, the players are trying to use it, but it doesn't fit right, but no one seems to know how.

Just the one Reillers. Just the one. Great win for Galway- hurled them off the park. Serious contenders this year. Cork have a bit to go I'm afraid.

Tatler Jack

QuoteI mean really though, get over it..how many accounts do you have Indy.

I have one account here Reillers.

I have nothing to get over Reillers - merely pointing up some contradictions in the players arguments. The players refused to co-operate with Gerald from day one - in particular his attempts to have them play a more direct game. We all know where it ended up - a decent man threatenedand and hounded out of the job by a nasty mob. Now the mob are acclaiming a manager who also wants a direct approach!!!

If and when the players apologise to Gerald for their despicable actioins I might respect them again - until then I will shed no tears over any beating they get.

BTW your clubman had a great game...one of the few.

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on May 03, 2010, 12:33:42 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 03, 2010, 12:26:27 AM
Quote from: Reillers on May 03, 2010, 12:07:56 AM

Just the one Reillers. Just the one. Great win for Galway- hurled them off the park. Serious contenders this year. Cork have a bit to go I'm afraid.
Ach no, not again.

Cork need to bin Aisake. He couldn't hurl shite over a wall. He might have something to offer their footballers. He may as well have been running about with a feather duster rather than a hurl this evening.
[/b]

Aisake was described last week in the press when asking for play for play as one of GAA's "top performers". Surely you can't dismiss him after just one poor performance ?.

seafoid

Before the internet I had never came across the Reillers type personality/condition. Has the internet just brought these people into the open or has it actually spawned them ? 

INDIANA

Thought the first half was fantastic yesterday. Decent crowd at it. obviously the NHL is still a valued competition despite the GAA's efforts to ensure it remains underground

dowling

Would you ever stop with you arrogance and insults towards me Reillers ffs.
Everyone speculates after a game about what might have caused players to under-perform and a lot of the time it's players' focus being distracted. I'm only throwing in as food for thought that for Sean óg's interview to appear when it did might it have put that extra little bit of pressure on himself and impacted on others around him. If you don't think so that's fine but don't be getting on like a goat over it or be trying to censor what others might wish to put into the debate ffs!
But whatever the reasons Cork didn't look like themselves yesterday. I'd say they've another couple of steps to go up but even with the experimental element and what looked like a little lack of fitness I'd be a little concerned. The full forward line is still a problem. Aisake doesn't seem to be doing it and it's difficult to see how the Cork management can improve this area. Maybe the players will come up with an idea though.
While I expect Cork to be more competitive come championship there is that feeling in the back of my head that too many of the team are past their best.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on May 03, 2010, 12:40:42 PM
Everyone speculates after a game about what might have caused players to under-perform and a lot of the time it's players' focus being distracted. I'm only throwing in as food for thought that for Sean óg's interview to appear when it did might it have put that extra little bit of pressure on himself and impacted on others around him. If you don't think so that's fine but don't be getting on like a goat over it or be trying to censor what others might wish to put into the debate ffs!
But whatever the reasons Cork didn't look like themselves yesterday. I'd say they've another couple of steps to go up but even with the experimental element and what looked like a little lack of fitness I'd be a little concerned. The full forward line is still a problem. Aisake doesn't seem to be doing it and it's difficult to see how the Cork management can improve this area. Maybe the players will come up with an idea though.
While I expect Cork to be more competitive come championship there is that feeling in the back of my head that too many of the team are past their best.

Oh I thought they were all just too busy thinking about money to concentrate on the game. All you ever do is moan and bitch about the big bad Cork hurlers. Get over it ffs. It's gone beyond an obsession. You continue to yet again just openly, based on nothing but your own imagination, insult the characters of the players time and time again.

IF's funny you know, you say everyone speculates after a game about what might have caused players to preform, Cork were unbeated in the entire League, with the exception of the Galway games, so they most have been doing something right.
Why not have a go at any of them. They all have a fair share of players in the GPA, it's not a Cork based organisation, despite what you'd lead anyone to believe.

KK have lost more than a fair share, as did Tipp, Waterford..etc. and yet you don't attack them. But why would you. Like I said, it's all about your personal vendetta against this Cork team that is endless. Get over it ffs.

seafoid

ALLIANZ NATIONAL HURLING LEAGUE DIVISION ONE FINAL/Galway 2-22 Cork 1-17: GALWAY'S NINTH National Hurling League title was delivered in style yesterday evening in Thurles after a comprehensive victory over a comprehensively out-gunned Cork. John McIntyre's team unloaded an impressive barrage of score-taking while their defence stood firm against their opponents' hitherto productive attack.

After an Allianz NHL campaign during which they were the most consistent side, the final performance must have come as a disappointment to Cork manager Denis Walsh and the county supporters, all of whom must now train their thoughts and preparations on the end-of-the-month championship meeting with Tipperary.

Virtually all of the critical contests went Galway's way. Even the anticipated pressure point of their half forwards against Cork's most powerful line ended up tilting in the second half with Cyril Donnellan coming into the match at centre forward and both Aidan Harte and Andy Smith taking scores on the wings.

Cork's best player this season, John Gardiner, was his usual forceful self – and lucky in the first half not to get into trouble with the referee – but he couldn't repel Galway single handed.

Walsh's gamble of playing the inexperienced Eoin Dillon on Joe Canning looked to be paying off after 20 fairly anonymous minutes from Galway's principal shooter but in what seemed the blink of an eye, the full forward rattled off 1-2 in the space of little over six minutes leading up to the half-hour mark to change the match for good, as Cork never got back on terms afterwards.

The pace of the contest was breathtaking at times, especially in the first half with scores flying over at either end, but Galway looked to be carrying more attacking menace from an early stage.

The switching of Damien Hayes and Aidan Harte before the start quickly proved a shrewd move and paid dividends, with the Portumna forward punishing Seán Ó hAilpín with his pace from the start.

There weren't two minutes on the clock when Hayes fastened on to a ball and out-ran his marker down the right, cutting inside to make an angle and firing into the net for the first score of the evening.

A few minutes later he was again in possession and flashing over a point.

The menace abated afterwards and eventually the right side of the Galway attack was restored to its original line-up. Ó hAilpín continued to struggle with his game, fumbling and miss-directing a couple of balls, but gradually came into the match and dropped a few inviting balls in on his brother Aisake at the other end.

He also set up Ben O'Connor for a run at the Galway defence in the 23rd minute. O'Connor passed to his speeding Newtownshandrum club-mate Cathal Naughton who continued in at pace and although appearing to disappear into the converging Galway cover, managed to get away a shot which ended up in the net.

Almost immediately Canning went to work, taking a ball and rounding Dillon for a run on goal and decisive finish.

Galway captain Shane Kavanagh, towered over as most full backs would be by the younger Ó hAilpín, was nonetheless effective in disrupting the possession and when one delivery did stick, he was able to block out the subsequent shot.

In the second half, with Cork chasing the match frantically, the whole Galway defence held firm but Kavanagh radiated calm and focus from the centre and was named as the sponsors' man of the match.

Cork's decision to field both of their skyscraper forwards, Aisake Ó hAilpín and Michael Cussen, wasn't a notable success. Cussen started well with early points but David Collins got on top and although the big forwards were shuttled around the attack, at no stage did they hit on an even mildly threatening configuration.

The centrefield exchanges didn't go Cork's way either, as they failed to exert much pressure on the creative pairing of Ger Farragher and David Burke. Farragher was in the usual excellent form from the placed ball and hit five from six in his total of six points. Tom Kenny didn't hit his familiar stride until towards the end, by which stage the match was loose and frenetic but Galway were thriving in the anarchy, raiding for points to keep the lead intact.

Cork had done well to stop the match getting away from them altogether in the first half and trailed by four at the break 1-11 to 2-12, but as soon as the match resumed Canning and Harte swept over another couple of points and Cork were chasing the match from there.

They were offered a lifeline in the 40th minute but Patrick Horgan's penalty, awarded after Gardiner had been taken down, was hit high and deflected over the bar by Colm Callanan, who also made a couple of good saves from Cathal Naughton, Cork's most threatening forward.

The counties went into the final, attended by 14,200, as the most likely sides to join Tipperary as feasible challengers to Kilkenny. Galway are still there but Cork have more convincing to do.
GALWAY: C Callanan; D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning; D Barry, T Regan, D Collins; G Farragher (0-6, four frees, one 65), D Burke (0-1); D Hayes (1-1), C Donnellan (0-1), A Smith (0-2); A Harte (0-3), J Canning (1-5), I Tannian (0-1). Subs: J Gantley (0-2) for Tannian (53 mins), K Hynes for Smith (62 mins), A Callanan for Burke (68 mins).

seafoid

Tom humphries

TOM HUMPHRIES at Semple Stadium

ALLIANZ NATIONAL HURLING LEAGUE DIVISION ONE FINAL: SO, ANOTHER league campaign leaves us with its entrails to be studied and read at our leisure. Galway and Cork spent the spring shaping up to each other as leading contenders in hurling's "up and coming" section. Yesterday they got to settle a few things. Thurles sucked in 14,200 customers to watch this Allianz League final and they were rewarded with a bruising fast- paced encounter which lost a little of its helter-skelter quality in the second half but which entertained throughout.

Galway prevailed in the end by an eight-point margin which neither flattered them nor quite satisfied them.

They were demonstrably the better side for most of the evening and were still looking for scores at the death even after the result had ceased to be an issue.

The occasion will have told Cork more about themselves than it did Galway. John McIntyre's side reached decent altitude as recently as last summer and came away knowing that they needed to learn the art of finishing out a game.

It's been longer than that since Cork were anything but wallflowers at the big dance and the optimism which their league run sparked will have been doused somewhat by this outing, which suggested a certain creakiness in some working parts.

The game began explosively when Damien Hayes motored away from Seán Óg Ó hAilpín with some ease and drove the ball to the Cork net in the first minute.

It was a declaration of intent from Galway and the sight of Seán Óg being withdrawn early in the second half ( he has been suffering with a leg injury for some time) was as startling and worrying for Cork supporters as a lot of the play which preceded that moment.

Central to the workings of soothsayers and oddsmakers last week was the guesswork as to how the tyro full back Eoin Dillon would fare on Joe Canning. Dillon had good form on Canning back in the underage days and wasn't shamed at all yesterday .

Yet he will look at the stats in brackets after Canning's name this morning and reflect that it is the nature of his opponent's genius that he could be overshadowed for so long and yet amass such a respectable tally from play.

Dillon was a worthy gamble which almost paid off .

Elsewhere Denis Walsh had mixed results from the hand he played. The twin towers of Michael Cussen and Aisake Ó hAilpín worked tremendously hard and Cussen had two points in the first half, but neither could compensate for the lack of penetration Cork have suffered since Joe Deane hung up his yellow helmet.

In midfield the elegant young Kanturk player Lorcan McLoughlin got a surprise start but for all his potential he never quite played his way into the game. By the time Jerry O'Connor replaced him, Galway were already within sight of the finish post.

Cork have used 37 players through this league campaign without producing a stand-out contender for a first team breakthrough against Tipperary at the end of this month. Slightly more worrying yesterday was the failure of a couple of players who should be pushing on from their sophomore days.

Patrick Horgan's league campaign had been going fine until yesterday when he struggled and had the misfortune to see a penalty turned over the bar. Kieran Murphy, a slightly surprising choice for captain this year, was withdrawn in the second half.

Plenty of work to be done at the drawing board and a few prayers to be offered for the return of Niall McCarthy from injury to fill the number 11 shirt.

Galway, enjoying their first national title in six years, are in somewhat better shape.

Joe Canning requires a groin operation but on yesterday's evidence will be able to push on until the necessary gap opens in his busy schedule.

Around him the pieces are falling into place and the pleasure of yesterday for John McIntyre will have been to see his side put away quality opposition without excessive dependence on the Portumna man.

With players of the quality of John Lee and Joe Gantley sitting on the bench yesterday Galway underlined their standing in the game's top three.

So as the light declined Shane Kavanagh, captain and man of the match, pronounced the west awake again as he accepted a national title. He counted the reasons to be cheerful.

"Our second piece of silverware this year. So far so good. The year starts here now."

Indeed. And with the white heat of the Leinster championship still to be faced, optimism and momentum is perhaps just what Galway needed.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on May 03, 2010, 12:53:06 PM

Oh I thought they were all just too busy thinking about money to concentrate on the game. All you ever do is moan and bitch about the big bad Cork hurlers. Get over it ffs. It's gone beyond an obsession. You continue to yet again just openly, based on nothing but your own imagination, insult the characters of the players time and time again.

IF's funny you know, you say everyone speculates after a game about what might have caused players to preform, Cork were unbeated in the entire League, with the exception of the Galway games, so they most have been doing something right.
Why not have a go at any of them. They all have a fair share of players in the GPA, it's not a Cork based organisation, despite what you'd lead anyone to believe.

KK have lost more than a fair share, as did Tipp, Waterford..etc. and yet you don't attack them. But why would you. Like I said, it's all about your personal vendetta against this Cork team that is endless. Get over it ffs.

It's precisely because they had done so well in the league, although I don't think Kilkenny and Tipp were giving it their best, that yesterday was all the more surprising. Of course on their day Galway can be as good as it gets but in spite of their league campaign Cork didn't seem to have come on yesterday. Maybe I'm not giving Galway enough credit but compared to the rest of the year if anything yesterday Cork seemed to be going backwards. In terms of championship yesterdays match doesn't matter but even at this stage I expected more.
And if Niall McCarthy is to be Cork's saviour well...

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on May 03, 2010, 03:01:55 PM

It's precisely because they had done so well in the league, although I don't think Kilkenny and Tipp were giving it their best, that yesterday was all the more surprising. Of course on their day Galway can be as good as it gets but in spite of their league campaign Cork didn't seem to have come on yesterday. Maybe I'm not giving Galway enough credit but compared to the rest of the year if anything yesterday Cork seemed to be going backwards. In terms of championship yesterdays match doesn't matter but even at this stage I expected more.

So one bad game is not allowed. Cork rarely if ever fielded their strongest team in the League, experimental all the way through and yet we still got to the final, but KK and Tipp, they didn't give it their best? But that's fine? They hadn't money as their motives to distract them right, because apparently Cork did?

Galway were totally deserving winners yesterday and Joe Canning, he was excellent yesterday, as always, and to play like that, even though he was well marked, and needing an op at the same time, it's beyond words. His talent seems endless at times.

But sure, never mind the hurling.
You continue to insult Cork, just as you do with nearly every single one of your posts it seems.

I mean a team aren't allowed to have one bad day? And at the same time you give Galway no credit, which they more then deserved. On the day we were truely beaten by a better team.

Instead though, you go and question Cork's motives and their character, but when KK look like they can't be arsed sure it's nothing but not trying their best according to you, sure well that's fine, but when Cork apparently do it it's because they all have money on their minds and can't concentrate?

More insults..nothing new. Surely you've ran out of them by now.

I mean surely if you're saying that the Cork team didn't play well because they had money on their minds, then surely KK and Tipp, when they didn't play well they also were distracted by the same things. They all players who are members of the GPA on their team, so surely they most have been distracted by the same thing right? That is if we're going by your theory.

GalwayBayBoy

Good win for our lads yesterday. Will it count for much during the Summer? Probably not but Galway are getting into the winning habit and it's better than having a losing one I guess.

Some of the new young lads introduced this year have really added something to the team and finally have given Galway some real strength in depth considering lads like John Lee, Adrian Cullinane, Aonghus Callanan, Joe Gantley, Kevin Hynes and Eoin Lynch were sitting on the bench yesterday and Fergal Moore and Niall Healy were out injured. Having David Collins back after 2 years out injured is a major bonus as well. The new lads like Donal Barry, David Burke and Aidan Harte all had very good games yesterday. Barry I believe never even played underage with Galway which shows that lads sometime do slip through the cracks. He's been excellent all during the league at wing-back. After Joe Canning, David Burke looked the next best player on the Galway U-21 team last year and is proving to be a very good foil for Ger Farragher in midfield. Harte hit 0-3 from play from wing-forward.

Defence were solid overall yesterday although they did give Cork a couple of quickfire goal chances in the first half that required saves from Colm Callanan. Shane Kavanagh is making full-back his own and even though Ollie was turned once or twice yesterday he continued to hoover up loose ball relentlessly all afternoon. Tony Og Regan has given John McIntyre a problem in that he is playing so well at centre-back that John Lee may not get back in. Regan was all but cast on the scrapheap a couple of years ago after an attempt to convert him into a full-back failed but he's had a great league campaign at 6. Lee is probably more dominant in the air but Regan's striking and therefore clearances are crisper I feel. Nice problem for McIntyre to have anyway.

Young Joe Canning hit 1-5 from play without much fuss or fanfare yesterday. Had anyone else done it we would probably be eulogising him but it's now expected of Joe every time he plays. He actually started very slowly. Barely touching the ball in the first 20 minutes until he suddenly hit a quickfire 1-2 in about 5 minutes. However as great as Joe is I think it's actually Ger Farragher who makes this Galway team tick. He's the one who moves the ball on, picks out the passes and makes the interceptions in the middle of the field. He gave an exhibition of midfield play yesterday assisted by young Burke who is turning into a fine hurler in his own right. Damien Hayes had a curate's egg of a game. Was rampant in the first 20 minutes but then in the second half he sent 3 almost gimme points wide due to his sometimes erratic striking. Iarla Tannion was a marginal enough figure at corner-forward. Galway have to find a way to utilise him more and he's too talented to leave on the fringes of things. He's the type of lad who constantly needs to be involved in a game or else he tends to drift in and out of it. Corner-forward is not his position I feel.

As for Cork I don't think having the two big men up front is doing them many favours. Might get away with one but they seem a bit unbalanced with both Cussen and Aisake on the field together. The real problem for them yesterday I feel though is that the engine of their team (half-back line and midfield) has got serious milage in the legs. Only Gardiner is still playing at something approaching his best. All those lads are super hurlers but once the pace was raised yesterday Galway were running rings around them at times in the middle of the field. The benefit of younger legs maybe. I'm sure though they will still tear into Tipp in a few weeks and given the game is down in Cork you would not write them off entirely.

Galway are probably looking in the best shape they've been in for a long time but they still have in Kilkenny probably the greatest hurling team ever in front of them along with their heirs apparent in Tipperary so no easy route to an All-Ireland. And Galway would want their heads screwed on going down to play Wexford in Nowlan Park first day out as Wexford will come out all guns blazing. A game Galway should win but Wexford won't roll over for them.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on May 03, 2010, 03:43:20 PM
Quote from: dowling on May 03, 2010, 03:01:55 PM

So one bad game is not allowed. Cork rarely if ever fielded their strongest team in the League, experimental all the way through and yet we still got to the final, but KK and Tipp, they didn't give it their best? But that's fine? They hadn't money as their motives to distract them right, because apparently Cork did?

Galway were totally deserving winners yesterday and Joe Canning, he was excellent yesterday, as always, and to play like that, even though he was well marked, and needing an op at the same time, it's beyond words. His talent seems endless at times.

But sure, never mind the hurling.
You continue to insult Cork, just as you do with nearly every single one of your posts it seems.

I mean a team aren't allowed to have one bad day? And at the same time you give Galway no credit, which they more then deserved. On the day we were truely beaten by a better team.

Instead though, you go and question Cork's motives and their character, but when KK look like they can't be arsed sure it's nothing but not trying their best according to you, sure well that's fine, but when Cork apparently do it it's because they all have money on their minds and can't concentrate?

More insults..nothing new. Surely you've ran out of them by now.

I mean surely if you're saying that the Cork team didn't play well because they had money on their minds, then surely KK and Tipp, when they didn't play well they also were distracted by the same things. They all players who are members of the GPA on their team, so surely they most have been distracted by the same thing right? That is if we're going by your theory.

I'm on to you now Reillers. Have to admit to being slow on this, although I wanted to be fair to ye, but after your last post I realise you don't expect to be taken seriously. I know others might come on and ask why am I only realising now but there ye go.
You are sometimes entertaining though, when you're not too long-winded.