Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Last time Mayo started without a Crossmolina man was in 1993. Against Sligo in Markievicz. Result Sligo 1-6 Mayo 1-14. ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

western exile

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2010, 11:50:49 AM
Quote from: western exile on June 03, 2010, 11:16:04 AM
The team selected is the form team.  I am a little surprised at the "shock" from some other posters.
From 1 to 9 the team is very like most teams selected for the last 2 years. The big exception is the dropping of Gardner, but the in-form  lads had to be accommodated, so fair play to management for that.
Dillon is a loss of course, but the 3 half forwards are the same 3 that played most games this year in Dillons absence, so no surprise there either. I share the same concerns re Trevor as most posters, but we all knew the captain was always going to be  selected.
On form this year, Varley had to be selected.  And on form this year, Aiden O'Shea had to be dropped. His understudy Alan Freeman, who came on to good effect in most games this year, is the obvious replacement. 
Which leaves the final corner spot a straight choice between Conor Mort and Ronaldson. The management went with the more  experienced lad. But it is great to have Ronaldo on the bench when needed.
I don't know why so many posters were assuming there would be a "twin towers" strategy. There was no evidence of it so far this year.  Besides, with Moran injured, and AOS  not cutting it, this is a way better forward line.
I don't know if the bench was named too ?   But it would be great to have options like Gardner and Ronaldson to come in, backed up with Harte, BJP and AOS if needed. This is key... JOM & Co need to make the correct switches if, and when, necessary!
I am not as surprised as most, with this team selection and I believe they will be good enough for Sligo on Saturday evening.
This is the FORM team, based on Challenge matches and Training :D
And a NFL Div 1 run which had them finish top of the table!  ::)

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 03, 2010, 07:54:52 PM
Last time Mayo started without a Crossmolina man was in 1993. Against Sligo in Markievicz. Result Sligo 1-6 Mayo 1-14. ;D

Feck, 1993. The Ros game, then the Cork game - still gives me the shivers now...can't believe that Mayo team actually managed to score 1-14 in a game!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 03, 2010, 09:03:48 PM

Feck, 1993. The Ros game, then the Cork game - still gives me the shivers now...can't believe that Mayo team actually managed to score 1-14 in a game!

Ah yes the Ros game. I remember it well. Had a video of it until recently. 1-5 to 7 points. One of my favorites actually. Winning the only thing that mattered. O Neill's pass and a great finish by Dempsey for a goal for the ages. A lot of it was muck though it has to be said.

Thinking a bit more about our team selection and I m convinced that if Barry Moran was fit to start O Sé would have started too. But having to start 2 smaller men in the corners I think they feel that Freeman will give them more pace and shape. It was worrying that Aidan was not bringing others into the game and hanging onto the ball. He was better playing off Moran last year. I still think if we do anything this year though Aidan will be a crucial player for us.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on June 03, 2010, 07:33:33 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2010, 02:25:17 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 03, 2010, 01:52:48 PM
I would actually say that Cork & Kerry are the teams that will knock us out of this yrs championship, I wouldn't fear anyone else.

I thought David Kelly was injured, his dad reckoned last week he wouldn't start, so may be a late change there if he doesn't make it

There was a concern all right, but in Kellys own words "im flying at the minute" and not in a plane ;), does answer any concerns.

I didnt know kellys father is a mayoman and that he only moved to tubber at age 10 from belmullet, ;D

Imagine that. The three best players on the sligo team O,Hara, Costelloe and Kelly are Mayo men ;D
And Tom Parsons is more a Sligoman than the 3 of them ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ballinaman

Barry Moran will play a role on Saturday, how much remains to be seen. Word that i've got from home is that the decision to drop AOS was thought about/made as far back as 2 weeks ago, management not happy with his fitness.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: western exile on June 03, 2010, 08:04:26 PM
The team selected is the form team.  I am a little surprised at the "shock" from some other posters.
From 1 to 9 the team is very like most teams selected for the last 2 years. The big exception is the dropping of Gardner, but the in-form  lads had to be accommodated, so fair play to management for that.
Dillon is a loss of course, but the 3 half forwards are the same 3 that played most games this year in Dillons absence, so no surprise there either. I share the same concerns re Trevor as most posters, but we all knew the captain was always going to be  selected.
On form this year, Varley had to be selected.  And on form this year, Aiden O'Shea had to be dropped. His understudy Alan Freeman, who came on to good effect in most games this year, is the obvious replacement. 
Which leaves the final corner spot a straight choice between Conor Mort and Ronaldson. The management went with the more  experienced lad. But it is great to have Ronaldo on the bench when needed.
I don't know why so many posters were assuming there would be a "twin towers" strategy. There was no evidence of it so far this year.  Besides, with Moran injured, and AOS  not cutting it, this is a way better forward line.
I don't know if the bench was named too ?   But it would be great to have options like Gardner and Ronaldson to come in, backed up with Harte, BJP and AOS if needed. This is key... JOM & Co need to make the correct switches if, and when, necessary!
I am not as surprised as most, with this team selection and I believe they will be good enough for Sligo on Saturday evening.

Great comeback reinforcing my point :D, you probably still dont get it 8)

SLIGONIAN

There it is, there it is everyone, mayo will win because the last time no crossmolina man was in there starting team they beat us, we are doomed :D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2010, 10:41:34 PM

Probably because you didn't make your point too well.

If I was you I'd be getting very excited about Saturday because its there for ye. But I guess you are excited about it anyway! And I'm not trying to send you up either. Very worried about this game. 11/4 is some value.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 03, 2010, 10:46:39 PM

If I was you I'd be getting very excited about Saturday because its there for ye. But I guess you are excited about it anyway! And I'm not trying to send you up either. Very worried about this game. 11/4 is some value.

Nah my point is fairly clear,

Ive 40 euro on us at 11/4 with PP,

Its hard to believe but we were 6/1 to beat roscommon in 07 and 6/1 to win final, those were big bucks days......

To be honest the amount of predictions i get right, i should start betting more, even with the spreads... i would be stunned if we were beat by more than 3pts. One thing ive learned is usually with games like this what you think will happen, not even close happens, I remember thinking in 07 we have to take every chance, have a good start to have a chance, but we were 5-2 down and we missed loads of frees as everyone knows but still won.
Last yr we were 8-2 down after 25 mins against Galway, so even if that happened again I wouldnt panic, were 8-8 with Galway a few miutes in the 2nd half, there is definitly character in this side. Id rather be a 1pt down going into the last 10mins.

RedandGreenSniper

Well ye are even money with a handicap of +3, which I don't think is near as good value as 11/4 straight up. If Mayo are to win, then I think they could win by a few points. But if its in the balance down the home strait, Sligo could be more likely to win by one point than Mayo, so straight odds better value. But, hell, maybe we're far too negative. Maybe a division of a gap will count. BUt there's a lot to be said for momentum. Sligo have that. If they can ally that with belief - and I mean belief in the last five minutes, then its there for the taking for them.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2010, 10:56:00 PM

Nah my point is fairly clear,

Ive 40 euro on us at 11/4 with PP,

Its hard to believe but we were 6/1 to beat roscommon in 07 and 6/1 to win final, those were big bucks days......

To be honest the amount of predictions i get right, i should start betting more, even with the spreads... i would be stunned if we were beat by more than 3pts. One thing ive learned is usually with games like this what you think will happen, not even close happens, I remember thinking in 07 we have to take every chance, have a good start to have a chance, but we were 5-2 down and we missed loads of frees as everyone knows but still won.
Last yr we were 8-2 down after 25 mins against Galway, so even if that happened again I wouldnt panic, were 8-8 with Galway a few miutes in the 2nd half, there is definitly character in this side. Id rather be a 1pt down going into the last 10mins.

Id rather be 1 point up in the last 10 seconds. ;D

moysider

I ve had the worry knocked out of me last few years. It s a good thing and a bad thing. Have to admit though that this has a feel of 2000 about it all over again. The Sligo lads I ve talked to have all had grins on their faces while trying to sound cautious. However these games can have a life of their own and nothing would surprise me. A lot of store is being put on the league final but people seem to forget the hammerings Cork gave Donegal and Tyrone last Summer. Teams that were getting along nicely until they played Cork. Tyrone were humiliated yet nobody danced on their grave like punters did us after a watery league final. Tyrone are more or less togging the same team again and will do fine until they play Cork again. Mayo should be comfortable with the pace on Saturday evening. I think it s down to selection, tactics, decision making by our players and who is fit to spring off the bench (I d love to have  Harte, AOS, Ronaldson, Dillon and Barry Moran available to bring on) for that will decide if we can win it. I believe who is available to bring on is as crucial as who starts. If our starting 15 can stay with Sligo for 40 those lads, if fit, can seal it. We already know the starting 15 but that s about it.

western exile

A Saturday evening game is a novelty for a Connacht Championship.  I will be staying in town after the game. What are the best football watering holes?

moysider

Quote from: western exile on June 03, 2010, 11:36:16 PM
A Saturday evening game is a novelty for a Connacht Championship.  I will be staying in town after the game. What are the best football watering holes?

There aren't any but every pub will have a football crowd for a few hours anyway you would expect. Think I ll head for home after. It ll be fierce craic if we lose. Even the club men who hate the county team will be throwing cobble stones. They ll be delighted we lost but will take advantage of a chance to be even more bitter.