Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on May 20, 2010, 12:14:25 AM
but kilcoyne give greater scoring power               

I thought Kilcoyne has already been ruled out?

rosnarun

Quote from: stephenite on May 20, 2010, 12:17:11 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 20, 2010, 12:14:25 AM
but kilcoyne give greater scoring power               

I thought Kilcoyne has already been ruled out?
yeah he is supposed to be but I'd never trust JOM on any selection,
while we have lots of high class replacements  i wouldnt worry too much . but maybe were missing an exceptional player or 2
Maybe Ronnie or A o sé can provide that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Ranger

[quote If I was Johnno I d have every relative I have doing novenas for the continued fitness of Barry Moran. Key player for us. [/quote]

Moysider
How can you say Barry Moran is a key player for Mayo????
The amount of 'competitive' football he has played for club and county in the last three years would just about just over two games if lucky. I would hold off on the 'key player' label until he proves himself on a consistant level. Until then he is still a fringe playerwith potential in my oppinion.

moysider

Quote from: Ranger on May 20, 2010, 09:44:14 AM
[quote If I was Johnno I d have every relative I have doing novenas for the continued fitness of Barry Moran. Key player for us.

Moysider
How can you say Barry Moran is a key player for Mayo????
The amount of 'competitive' football he has played for club and county in the last three years would just about just over two games if lucky. I would hold off on the 'key player' label until he proves himself on a consistant level. Until then he is still a fringe playerwith potential in my oppinion.
[/quote]

Precisely.That is why his continuing fitness is vital. We re much better set up when he is playing.

Ranger

[quote We re much better set up when he is playing.
[/quote]

I won't hold my breath!! ;D

RedandGreenSniper

Very hard team to pick.

I reckon it'll be something like this

Clarke
Barrett Cafferkey Higgins
Gardiner Cunniffe McLoughlin
McGarrity S O'Shea
Dillon A O'Shea Andy Moran
C Mort B Moran E Varley

Don't see Parsons making it. Howley might squeeze out Chris Barrett. Donal Vaughan shouldn't be dropped but will be. With Trevor Mort gone, Gardiner will start at 5. Vaughan will be in contention for 6 but O'Mahony will go with Cunniffe because of slightly more experience. I'd pick Vaughan myself. Aidan Kilcoyne's injury frees up Andy Moran, who wouldn't have made it by the looks of things up to now. Trevor Mort can't make it and I think JOM may actually drop him. Barry Moran is on form and will start. That will free up Aidan O'Shea to the forty, although I reckon Moran and O'Shea inside is a good option. Ronaldson might squeeze out Varley.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 20, 2010, 12:20:02 PM
Very hard team to pick.

Clarke
McGarrity S O'Shea
C Mort B Moran E Varley

Don't see Parsons making it. Howley might squeeze out Chris Barrett. Donal Vaughan shouldn't be dropped but will be. With Trevor Mort gone, Gardiner will start at 5. Vaughan will be in contention for 6 but O'Mahony will go with Cunniffe because of slightly more experience. I'd pick Vaughan myself. Aidan Kilcoyne's injury frees up Andy Moran, who wouldn't have made it by the looks of things up to now. Trevor Mort can't make it and I think JOM may actually drop him. Barry Moran is on form and will start. That will free up Aidan O'Shea to the forty, although I reckon Moran and O'Shea inside is a good option. Ronaldson might squeeze out Varley.

I like that team R&GS, the only thing I would do is have Howley instead of Barrett at corner back but I think thats what JOM will go with. I especially like having no Trev for a change as the amount of possession he fumbles, hoofs wide or in the air or kicks away, you wont get away with against a good team. I would include Varley, as you have as I like what I saw before he was out. 

I suppose at this stage he will use Cunniffe at CB but when it goes pear-shaped, dont say I didnt warn ye!
Having said that, id like to see Cunniffe given a chance at this level at CB, I hope he proves me wrong.

ballinaman

Cunniffe played CB against Galway in the connacht final 2 years ago in Castlebar and was one the best performers as far as i can remember. I'd be confident with him there, won't let anyone down IMO.

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on May 20, 2010, 01:59:34 PM
Cunniffe played CB against Galway in the connacht final 2 years ago in Castlebar and was one the best performers as far as i can remember. I'd be confident with him there, won't let anyone down IMO.

Are you sure he wasnt wing back? Heaney was Centre back if I recall.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 20, 2010, 12:20:02 PM
Very hard team to pick.

Clarke
McGarrity S O'Shea
C Mort B Moran E Varley

To be honest I cant see Parsons being dropped for this one. Overall he had a good league. Poor against Cork but that is part of his education - he was too lackadaisical and got picked off. We are not playing Cork the next day and I think we could get an advantage around the middle and Parsons running through channels is something we should be planning for. I cant see Chris Barrett losing out though if it comes to it Vaughan will go back to 2 to accommodate Gardiner - if he feels he must start Gardiner. Vaughan started the first 3 league games at 2. I don t see Howley start. He would be too loose/slow for either Kelly or Magee in the corner. I reckon the twin tower approach is how Johnno will go in the forwards, and it is of course the correct approach. Playing a straight up 3 man inside line with two smallish corner men would be playing into the hands of the strongest line on the Sligo team. If I was Johnno I would play Dillon off the two. I know we re used to the idea of a left footed freetaker in the team but most counties make do with one freetaker. That would allow him to pick Dillon, Andy and Trevor on the one team which is something he will want to do. I cant see him drop any of them.
Unless injuries simplify matters it is going to be a fascinating pick, fraught with danger for the manager. He cant afford to get it wrong. He ll also be wary of pissing off senior players by dropping them after they, in fairness, did a lot right during the league. I think Howley might be the only major casualty. Conor would sit one out knowing his chance will come again soon. Varley too will be looking forward if he is nt picked.
Once upon a time the real Mayo team would only emerge by Connacht final time. Willie Joe and Jimmy Bourke would still have their winter- coats on by June 1st. We need to have it right the next day. We cant afford to be making changes to rescue the game or chase a lead down. Subs like Harte, Ronaldson and Conoreen hopefully will be used to shut out the game.

SLIGONIAN

Just trawled through the local mayo pages, in fairness some good reading, maughan article is good read, I was just thinking myself, Mayo have had some amount of challenge games, might head down to Hollymount tomorrow, but with Dublin playing Westmeath the day after its hard to see them sending there strongest team down.

I am fascinated as to which team JOM will name.

Sligo have beaten Leitrim, drew with Kildare after being 1-6 to 0-1 down, and play Clare this weekend. I suppose some seniors and the subs played against Leitrim and Fermanagh juniors.

Good news for Sligo is Mullen is back from injury and Quinn, we have a fully fit squad. Fingers crossed it will stay that way. From what i seen of the Sligo lads, they are showing Championship sharpness and intensity which is good, i hear the 15 v15 games at training are unreal intense aswell and in fairness to Sligo we have bloody good second 15 to give the other lads a run for there money.

I think we are at a slight advantage in that we know our starting 15, weve been moulding a style of play and certain players suit, it is very creative when it gets going. Cant wait for the game to be honest.

And at least this time I cant see ye complaining afterwards that ye werent tested in the run up to galway as in 2008. ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

galwayman

Sligo played Clare this night last week in my clubs home pitch. I think it ended in a draw. Not 100% sure though

ballinaman

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 20, 2010, 02:05:23 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 20, 2010, 01:59:34 PM

Are you sure he wasnt wing back? Heaney was Centre back if I recall.
Could be right alright. I remember him playin CB in the all ireland u21 semi loss to Laois in the hyde and he was savage that day, obviously senior is a world away from u21 but still not a bad sign.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: galwayman on May 20, 2010, 11:08:59 PM
Sligo played Clare this night last week in my clubs home pitch. I think it ended in a draw. Not 100% sure though

Your probably right as the county player wasnt specific when, he though early last week Kildare up first though. If what you say is true that meant Clare on thursday, Fermanagh on Friday and Kildare on Sat/sun....

Disappointed in a draw as Clare are poor, but challenges result are not important.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 20, 2010, 10:55:47 PM
Just trawled through the local mayo pages, in fairness some good reading, maughan article is good read, I was just thinking myself, Mayo have had some amount of challenge games, might head down to Hollymount tomorrow, but with Dublin playing Westmeath the day after its hard to see them sending there strongest team down.

I am fascinated as to which team JOM will name.

Sligo have beaten Leitrim, drew with Kildare after being 1-6 to 0-1 down, and play Clare this weekend. I suppose some seniors and the subs played against Leitrim and Fermanagh juniors.

Good news for Sligo is Mullen is back from injury and Quinn, we have a fully fit squad. Fingers crossed it will stay that way. From what i seen of the Sligo lads, they are showing Championship sharpness and intensity which is good, i hear the 15 v15 games at training are unreal intense aswell and in fairness to Sligo we have bloody good second 15 to give the other lads a run for there money.

I think we are at a slight advantage in that we know our starting 15, weve been moulding a style of play and certain players suit, it is very creative when it gets going. Cant wait for the game to be honest.

And at least this time I cant see ye complaining afterwards that ye werent tested in the run up to galway as in 2008. ;)

Disagree Sligonian. I expect Dublin to tog a strong team against us. Equally the team we start against Dublin may be a good indicator of how Johnno is thinking. It has to be. I take your point about the starting 15 being settled. Ours isn t but not necessarily a bad thing. We got to a league final with mix and match selections. The Cork game could work in our favour yet. We got a timely wake-up call. If likes of Trevor, Andy , Parsons don't step up I'd be very surprised. I m really looking forward to this one. As I ve said already these games could be the making of us. We do however need to remain injury free in crucial personnel.