Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

Quote from: rosnarun on May 15, 2010, 07:15:20 PM
for some posters here who are slagging mayo off seem to be basing their whole assessment of mayo on Croke park performances . Calling this mayo team Dross and rubbisj beggars belief. Mayo have had a very fine league campaign, showing real gut and character esp in Celtic park and omagh. Omagh in particular was as ballsy a performance as ive seen  From Mayo in a long time yet a lot of poster are writing mayos league campaign as a disaster . why do i susoect tat the only games some people saw were the dublin and second cork games. they berate the players that got mayo to a DIV ine final while Lusting after Division 3 players we have 'found out' long ago and guys at the end of their careers
There was a hell of a lot more good than bad with the mayo league campaign

Excellent Post there rosnarun

Am I the only person who thought that Mayo weren't trying too hard in the league final. Also they were missing several likely starters for the championship (Higgins, Gardiner, McGarrity, Harte, B Moran, Kilcoyne). O'Mahoney is the master at playing down expectations of his team while at the same time building up the opposition. We only won a division 3 final while Mayo won all bar 2 of their division 1 games and lost a league final where they didn't look too interested and missing half their starters. Sounds like O'Mahony is playing mind games again and it seems to have worked as all the Mayo men on this board are writing off their chances already.
He did this to Sligo before in 2000 (i think). Sligo beat Mayo in the first round and were playing Galway at home in the semi final. Sligo people lost the run of themselves (and obviously the team also) and at half time the score was 11 points to 0 and ended something like 22 to 4..

I wouldn't get too carried away as a Sligo supporter. Mayo will be well prepared for the game and will have all their main men playing and will be playing with an intensity that was missing in the league final.

drici

Kildare 1-16 Sligo 2-13

THERE was good news for Kildare supporters as Dermot Earley came on as a second half substitute as the Lilywhites drew with Sligo in a challenge at Stephen O'Rourke Memorial Park yesterday.

A 10th minute goal by wing-back Keith Cribbin gave the hosts an early advantage. But with Tony Taylor gradually getting into the game at midfield after a strong start by Darryl Flynn and David Whyte, the visitors clawed themselves back into proceedings.

A 25th minute penalty from Stephen Coen left it at 1-10 to 1-7 at half time but with Johnny Doyle in cracking form after the resumption, Kildare pulled clear again. Sligo continued to plug away though and Colm Magee fired into the corner in the 51st minute after a pass from Eamonn O'Hara. Points from O'Hara, Magee and Coen saw Sligo hit the front but a brace from Doyle gave Kildare the lead with time running out before Noel Maguire popped up to secure a draw.

KILDARE: S McCormack; P Kelly, G White, H McGrillen; K Cribbin 1-2, B Flanagan, M O'Flaherty; D Flynn, D Whyte; J Kavanagh 0-2, J Doyle 0-7(4fs), R Sweeney 0-2; A Smith 0-1, E Callaghan 0-1, K Donnelly 0-1.

Subs: T O'Connor for Donnelly (55); D Earley for Kavanagh (60); D Hendy for White (63)

SLIGO: P Greene; C Harrison, N Maguire 0-1, R Donovan; K Cawley, B Phillips, J Davey; T Taylor, S Gilmartin; A Costello 0-1, E O'Hara 0-2; S Davey 0-1; S Coen 1-4(1-0 pen, 0-3fs), K Sweeney, C Magee 1-4(0-4fs)

Referee: E Kinsella (Laois).

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on May 17, 2010, 11:25:21 AM
for some posters here who are slagging mayo off seem to be basing their whole assessment of mayo on Croke park performances . Calling this mayo team Dross and rubbisj beggars belief. Mayo have had a very fine league campaign, showing real gut and character esp in Celtic park and omagh. Omagh in particular was as ballsy a performance as ive seen  From Mayo in a long time yet a lot of poster are writing mayos league campaign as a disaster . why do i susoect tat the only games some people saw were the dublin and second cork games. they berate the players that got mayo to a DIV ine final while Lusting after Division 3 players we have 'found out' long ago and guys at the end of their careers

Am I the only person who thought that Mayo weren't trying too hard in the league final. Also they were missing several likely starters for the championship (Higgins, Gardiner, McGarrity, Harte, B Moran, Kilcoyne). O'Mahoney is the master at playing down expectations of his team while at the same time building up the opposition. We only won a division 3 final while Mayo won all bar 2 of their division 1 games and lost a league final where they didn't look too interested and missing half their starters. Sounds like O'Mahony is playing mind games again and it seems to have worked as all the Mayo men on this board are writing off their chances already.
He did this to Sligo before in 2000 (i think). Sligo beat Mayo in the first round and were playing Galway at home in the semi final. Sligo people lost the run of themselves (and obviously the team also) and at half time the score was 11 points to 0 and ended something like 22 to 4..

I wouldn't get too carried away as a Sligo supporter. Mayo will be well prepared for the game and will have all their main men playing and will be playing with an intensity that was missing in the league final.

What a load of rubbish, i guess this is the kinda stuff EOH has had to listen to all his career down south, i remember him criticising sligo fans for having no belief in the team,

Are you that naive and stupid that you think JOM basically threw the National League final? It looks like JOM has worked his magic on you. So the players went up to Croke park and decided to not put in much effort ::) so they can get a backlash from fans and keep the hype down.

In 2000 it was completely different, we hadnt as good a team as we do now, and mayo dont have a FF line of Finneagan, P Joyce(in his prime) and derek savage, they dont have a half forward line of Donnellan, Ja Fallon etc....you'll be spouting the same shite if we beat mayo heading down to galway. I dont want to hear this negative shite.

Look the fact is SLIGO are 11/4 and Mayo are 4/11 with the bookies, JOM thinks he fools us, does he fck, just because JOM bigs us up doesnt mean jack shit to me or the Sligo Players. We know we have to do our talking on the pitch. I believe we will win, the players believe and I wont feel any guilt for feeling that way.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mannix

Mayo having been throwing finals for years now so we can lull Sligo into a false sense of security, it all makes sense. Sligonian is right, you simply have to believe you can win, too many times in finals before the ball was thrown in you could see Mayo were beaten already, galway were the same against kerry in the replayed final in the early 2000s, beaten before throw in.The problem is making players believe they can win, now theres a problem for you Sligonian.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Mano on May 17, 2010, 11:25:21 AM

I dont know if thats what Ros was trying to say but that's is some theory Mano.

Your suggesting that Mayo were not trying too hard, and are some sort of psychological geniuses that deliberately lost in an NFL final to lower expectations?

LMAO!

If anything Mayo needed to win that final more than you might think. To win some silverware and a final in Croke Park would have meant more than anything to this current crop, and may have even banished some of the hoodoo about Mayo losing finals in Croker. 

Ranger

Will Mayo people please stop saying Barry Mpran has to come back in to the Mayo Team.
He was NEVER in it long enough in the first place !! I can see him getting injured in the warm up for the Sligo game and he will disappear again for another 12 months!!

Foreverhopeful

Quote from: GBXII on May 14, 2010, 10:49:15 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 13, 2010, 11:28:52 PM
If Aidan o Shea is too slow for no.11 he is too slow to ever do any real damage at no.14. You need a burst of pace at no.14. What scoring damage did he do last year (someone mentioned this)? Fisted goal against Meath, one point against Galway. 1 goal against Ros  on a day when we got 3-18. That not hectic.
He has a very accurate kick from long distance, is an option for kick out's. He can have more space to get his stride going. HE can be fast if he gets into his stride and would be hard stopped. He doesnt have cuteness to play in the full-forward line (yet- comes with age)!. I'd also give the freedom every now and then to drift into the full forward line when playing at 11. This would keep the number 6 guessing and he may sneak in the odd time for goal. Sean Cavanagh was a master of this in his earlier days. The tyrone boys would cover him as he drifted in for scores and was usually unmarked. It obviously has to be done with subtlety.

No point in playing Seamie O'Shea as an 11. He is the partner McGarrity has needed for the last few years. Seamie will do the grafting, hard hitting. McGarrity and Parsons were too similar.

Burst of pace at 14??In fairness that's utter rubbish, 11 is where you need a "burst of pace" not 14. Traditionally (see Eoin Liston, Tommy Dowd, Jimmy Keavney etc) 14 is where the bigger,slower players play because pace isn't really an issue.Donaghy doesn't have any great pace but is a brilliant no. 14, Michael Murphy isn't particularly fast and is excellent at fullforward. If there is any position on the field that you can get away with being lacking in a bit of pace it's Full Forward. A O'Shea isn't particularly fast but can use his strength very well to get a bit of space to get a shot away and because he's not further out the field he can cause more damage closer in. Can't believe I've just had to explain that!

Those players were all exceptional at bringing others into play. Thats why they were so good at 14. Donaghy has the burst and he has an amazing catch. Michael Murphy is just a naturally gifted forward. They all get away without pace because they have other outstanding attributes. Aidan O'Shea isn't a natural footballer. He doesnt have the intelligence to bring other players into the game yet. And i'm not so sure about his so-called strength. Think there is a fair bit of puppy fat going on. I've yet to see him really get a full-back out of the way yet with his stength.

Mano

Don't get me wrong Sligonian as i seem to have upset you (not too difficult) i believe we can win this game. I'm from the same school as Eamon as when we played club together we always believed before we went on pitch together that we were going to win.

Mayo boys on here are doing their best to make us believe we only have to turn up to win. They were missing half their team for that game - all the guys i mentioned earlier. Did you see the league final (you were at the game) Mayo weren't exactly at the races were they? Perhaps they had some heavy training done as their was a lot of heavy legs. All i'm saying is Mayo are not as bad as what they showed in the league final.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 17, 2010, 11:55:46 AM

In 2000 it was completely different, we hadnt as good a team as we do now, and mayo dont have a FF line of Finneagan, P Joyce(in his prime) and derek savage, they dont have a half forward line of Donnellan, Ja Fallon etc....you'll be spouting the same shite if we beat mayo heading down to galway. I dont want to hear this negative shite.
Fallon wasn't playing - he was injured as was K Walshe and Divilly and O'Mahony made sure everyone knew about it in the build up to the game. We had most of the team which beat Kildare and Tyrone the following 2 years - which i would consider to be a good team.

What a load of rubbish, i guess this is the kinda stuff EOH has had to listen to all his career down south, i remember him criticising sligo fans for having no belief in the team,

You are the clown that wants to leave EOH on the sideline for the Mayo game-shows how much you know ::)

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 17, 2010, 12:59:32 PM
Aidan O'Shea isn't a natural footballer.
One of the worst and craziest statements I have seen written here in a long time.
AOS is a fine footballer.

He doesnt have the intelligence to bring other players into the game yet.
So if he doesnt have the intelligence to bring other people into the game yet your on about putting him at centre forward, which is a playmakers position and you are basing your whole argument on the fact that he needs to be there to be able to "build up some speed" and "add some height to the forward line" ?

Even though you were told he doent have the stamina or pace for the half forward line (where there is much more involved that at FF) ?

And i'm not so sure about his so-called strength.
He is the strongest 18-19 year old guy that I have ever laid eyes on. In fact, the way he breaks the tackle, and has the power to hold a man off to get a shot of is nothing short of a phenomenon for his age.

Think there is a fair bit of puppy fat going on.
Nobody is perfect
http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/david-heaney-conn-final-09.jpg

I've yet to see him really get a full-back out of the way yet with his stength.
Are you for real? O Shea swatted Conor Gormley around McHale park in the league the year before last and he would have been rated as one of the best in the country. There is massive penetration to O Shea and he sometimes has defenders hanging off him and he still burst through. Against Cork he was swarmed in the NFL final but that was obviously a tactic.

You seem to have an awful set on the lad and cant accept other opinions.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Mano on May 17, 2010, 02:29:18 PM
Don't get me wrong Sligonian as i seem to have upset you (not too difficult) i believe we can win this game. I'm from the same school as Eamon as when we played club together we always believed before we went on pitch together that we were going to win.

Mayo boys on here are doing their best to make us believe we only have to turn up to win. They were missing half their team for that game - all the guys i mentioned earlier. Did you see the league final (you were at the game) Mayo weren't exactly at the races were they? Perhaps they had some heavy training done as their was a lot of heavy legs. All i'm saying is Mayo are not as bad as what they showed in the league final.

Fallon wasn't playing - he was injured as was K Walshe and Divilly and O'Mahony made sure everyone knew about it in the build up to the game. We had most of the team which beat Kildare and Tyrone the following 2 years - which i would consider to be a good team.

You are the clown that wants to leave EOH on the sideline for the Mayo game-shows how much you know ::)

You really think any of the players missing would have made a big difference to Mayo on the day? Higgins and McGarrity maybe a bit but that's about it. Cork were missing far more. The other lads are hardly world beaters.

I would still make Mayo favourites to beat Sligo but to say that they somehow were not trying against Cork is ludicrous. As if Mayo can afford to pass up on winning any kind of national final in Croke Park.

muppet

Those players were all exceptional at bringing others into play. Thats why they were so good at 14. Donaghy has the burst and he has an amazing catch. Michael Murphy is just a naturally gifted forward. They all get away without pace because they have other outstanding attributes. Aidan O'Shea isn't a natural footballer. He doesnt have the intelligence to bring other players into the game yet. And i'm not so sure about his so-called strength. Think there is a fair bit of puppy fat going on. I've yet to see him really get a full-back out of the way yet with his stength.

Foreverpessimistic I think you should think a bit more about your posts.

AOS is as natural a forward as I've seen at minor in a good while, especially from a Mayo point of view. He is well ahead of contemporary Kyle Coney who is another fantastic talent that will come through in time. He certainly needs to learn to vary his game as was well put by Never Beat The Deeler. But remember his age before you consign him to the massive Mayo scrap heap that at various stages has included such dross as Ciaran McDonald, Liam McHale and Willie Joe Padden.

Those three and many more came back to prove the Mayo doubters wrong. AOS hasn't even failed yet and people are adding him to the heap. Give him a chance ffs.

MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on May 17, 2010, 02:29:18 PM

How am i the clown, 3 weeks before the game I state we cant afford to use O Hara as pyschology boost during the game and have to start him at 12 instead...

Honestly the mayo lads are overreacting to the league final loss which there entitled to do given there history, but mano even if they were trying to make us think we had to turn up, how many of us in Sligo are buying it. NONE. Also i know and you know, everyone in mayo is expecting a decent battle and a mayo win but all im saying is i dont give a toss about what mayo think, or what JOM says or what happened in the league final.

Ya i was at the mayo cork game, and yes i know theyll perform better in Markieveicz, and moran, kilcoyne, mcgarrity and harte did all come on in that game. Do you honestly think mayo are going to make 6 changes to league final team? I went to the league final to have a look at mayo for sure but i know Sligo are focusing more on our own performance than mayo. Im sure mayo arent worrying too much about us. If mayo make wholsale changes to the league team, what does it say? Will all just fall into place against us? To me thats going into game hoping things come off rather than having it sorted during the league and knowing it will. As GBB says will it make a huge improvement on what started that day anyway.

We are settled and in as good a shape as can be except, Quinn is a huge injury concern at the minute and starting Phillips is a disaster. These type of things can be costly. As long as we maximise our own potential and performance level i cant ask for more. No guarntees in sport. I think weve got enough lessons in the past to know it will take huge, intensity, workrate and quality to beat mayo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Foreverhopeful

Quote from: muppet on May 17, 2010, 03:14:49 PM

Foreverpessimistic I think you should think a bit more about your posts.

AOS is as natural a forward as I've seen at minor in a good while, especially from a Mayo point of view. He is well ahead of contemporary Kyle Coney who is another fantastic talent that will come through in time. He certainly needs to learn to vary his game as was well put by Never Beat The Deeler. But remember his age before you consign him to the massive Mayo scrap heap that at various stages has included such dross as Ciaran McDonald, Liam McHale and Willie Joe Padden.

Those three and many more came back to prove the Mayo doubters wrong. AOS hasn't even failed yet and people are adding him to the heap. Give him a chance ffs.

i'm saying to put him at no.11.. Read my posts... Think he can do more damage for us at 11. Could see playing 14 in 3-4 years when he gets more experience and can bring others into the game... Muppet by name .....!

venter

The league final was a major let down, especially the half forward line of Andy Moran, Alan Dillon and Trevor Mort. None of the three of them were able to have a go at thier man and beat him. In fact Kevin Mclaughlin showed them all up by having the bit of class/energy/drive to beat his man in one on one situations.

Johnno should drop all three of them to send out a warning that their is competition for places and he's not afraid to trust in some of the lads that havent seen too much championship game time.

No doubt Dillon,T Mort and Andy will play a big part in any championship run we might have, but a spell on the timber might focus the minds.

Barring injuries, Half forward line of Harte, SOS and Kilcoyne to start against Sligo.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 17, 2010, 03:30:10 PM

Ya i was at the mayo cork game, and yes i know theyll perform better in Markieveicz, and moran, kilcoyne, mcgarrity and harte did all come on in that game. Do you honestly think mayo are going to make 6 changes to league final team? I went to the league final to have a look at mayo for sure but i know Sligo are focusing more on our own performance than mayo. Im sure mayo arent worrying too much about us. If mayo make wholsale changes to the league team, what does it say? Will all just fall into place against us? To me thats going into game hoping things come off rather than having it sorted during the league and knowing it will. As GBB says will it make a huge improvement on what started that day anyway.

Mayo will make at least 4 changes. Higgins, Gardiner, McGarrity, Kilcoyne will come in and perhaps Harte which will strengten them from league final. However we will also make a change or 2 which will strenghten us.

An advantage we have is Kevin Walsh - he will know what O'Mahony is like in the build up to the game and will have the players well warned not to listen to the bullshit that will be in the media in advance.