Derry v Armagh Championship

Started by bennydorano, April 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our_fella

Can anyone here please give a short report on the minor match please?

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Aerlik on May 16, 2010, 04:20:49 PM
When doing my ref's course last year, two particular "fouls" were highlighted.  The throw-handpass and the pick-up off the ground without feet.  The rules are simple; there must be distinct contact between fist/palm and ball in the former case.  In the latter, you simply cannot pick a rolling or for that matter static ball off the ground without using your foot, ie. in the traditional way.  Last year I consistently penalised players for doing so.  When I pointed out that fouls were being committed the players were more concerned with keeping the flow of the game going rather than abiding by the rules, ie. not cheating.  Until the rules change, I will continue to penalise that action.  The pick-up is one of the core skills of our code.

I hope you're a sign of things to come. 
Boil the Drawers!

Pangurban

Abysmal standard of football, Derry were awful, yet Armaghs negative tactics produced only a three point win which the missed penalty would have cancelled out. Handpass rule is stupid un-necessary, and is slowing the game. If the tactics we witnessed today are carried on by other teams throughout the championship, then we are witnessing the death of gaelic football as a mass spectator sport. Who would pay to watch that, other than die-hards.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Pangurban on May 16, 2010, 04:45:35 PM
Abysmal standard of football, Derry were awful, yet Armaghs negative tactics produced only a three point win which the missed penalty would have cancelled out. Handpass rule is stupid un-necessary, and is slowing the game. If the tactics we witnessed today are carried on by other teams throughout the championship, then we are witnessing the death of gaelic football as a mass spectator sport. Who would pay to watch that, other than die-hards.
since they've been tried universally by limited teams since armagh introduced them in 1999 i'd say it's a fair bet we'll see more of it as the championship goes on.

naka

On way back
happy with performance and result
referee very poor for both teams never a penalty

thejuice

When doing my ref's course last year, two particular "fouls" were highlighted.  The throw-handpass and the pick-up off the ground without feet.  The rules are simple; there must be distinct contact between fist/palm and ball in the former case.  In the latter, you simply cannot pick a rolling or for that matter static ball off the ground without using your foot, ie. in the traditional way.  Last year I consistently penalised players for doing so.  When I pointed out that fouls were being committed the players were more concerned with keeping the flow of the game going rather than abiding by the rules, ie. not cheating.  Until the rules change, I will continue to penalise that action.  The pick-up is one of the core skills of our code.

It was bewildering to watch. I don't know. To be honest I think the rules should perhaps have harsher punishments, rather than issuing more yellow cards, have all fouls commited beyond the 45's, have thier frees taken at the 21yd line. So that means that so called "professional fouls" are ineffective, but at the same time loosen the rules to allow for more physical challenges. something like that. At the moment all we have is a cynical dishonest attitude towards the game. 5 sent off today yet none of the games were dirty. Just persistant fouling. Are players going to get the message or what are we going to do.

Anyway, hard to analyse that game today, it was poor. Was dissappointing to see a penalty given for some great defending. Had Francie Bellew done the same a few years ago it would be on the highlight reel. Just as well it was saved so.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Maguire01

Quote from: Sam of the Sarsfields on May 16, 2010, 03:33:47 PM
Is there anything positive whatsoever that can be taken from that game?
The couple of quid back from Ladbrokes!

red hander

Quote from: Pangurban on May 16, 2010, 04:45:35 PM

Might be a bit harsh P.  It wasn't great, but I don't think it was as bad a match as people have been making out ... BTW, why were all the inbreds in the stand going apeshit about McKeever's shoulder? - it was probably the purest, most honest bit of skill in the match.  And I don't think it was a penalty either ... Christ, when they start taking the tackle out of the game altogether then we really are witnessing the death of Gaelic football

Zulu

The pick up is not a core skill and is impossible to execute properly at speed when the ball is travelling towards a player and he moving towards it. It is also very difficult to judge and should be done away with, the hand pass is a bit different and we need to go back to the way it was last year, unless a referee is sure the player threw the ball then he should allow the game to continue.

I've reffed a few games myself and many times it is difficult to discern whether a foul was committed or not we players pick a ball up or hand pass so I tend to let it go unless I can clearly see the foul. Likewise with tackling and from my, limited, experience  of reffing I'd be in favour of a much more defined and clear definition of the tackle and more serious punishments for transgressors, especially repeat and cynical ones.

Bogball XV

Quote from: thejuice on May 16, 2010, 05:33:55 PM

It was bewildering to watch. I don't know. To be honest I think the rules should perhaps have harsher punishments, rather than issuing more yellow cards, have all fouls commited beyond the 45's, have thier frees taken at the 21yd line. So that means that so called "professional fouls" are ineffective, but at the same time loosen the rules to allow for more physical challenges. something like that. At the moment all we have is a cynical dishonest attitude towards the game. 5 sent off today yet none of the games were dirty. Just persistant fouling. Are players going to get the message or what are we going to do.

Anyway, hard to analyse that game today, it was poor. Was dissappointing to see a penalty given for some great defending. Had Francie Bellew done the same a few years ago it would be on the highlight reel. Just as well it was saved so.
yeah, the persistent cynical fouling has to be counteracted, time after time the game was stopped around the middle of the park, some of the tackles verging on rugby tackles, as i said earlier something like team fouls giving free throws is needed.  In addition the time-keeping is verging on criminal at this stage, how long was the ball in play today?  It really couldn't have been much more than 25 mins, the second half was played in a manner that the winning team constantly stopped play (in harmless positions), yet 2 mins injury time were added, seriously, how the fcuk could he come up with that? 

Ulick

Frick sake lads it's the first game in May, two teams with deadly forwards, what were you expecting Brazil v Argentina? It was always going to be a dour, defensive game and it wasn't helped by the inconsistent refereeing and soft frees. Personally I've seen no better sight this year than Chalie Vernon bursting out of midfield soloing the ball with Fergal Doherty hanging out of him. From an Armagh point of view, we got the win and have lots of room for improvement and the signs are we should be around long enough this year to work on that improvement. Glad to see big Hearty turned in a good display especially after the abuse I took for complimenting his game against Donegal.

Zulu

I think your comment that we should expect dour defensive football when teams have quality forwards speaks volumes. Of course we should expect better entertainment than what we got today, these are two of the better teams in the country (in theory) and we had far too many frees, though Deegan can take credit for a good few, and not enough quality football. The "it's all about winning" argument doesn't hold water either we should be able to look forward to better games than what we got today. Now I know we will get better games and this early season mediocrity is common but in an ever more competitve environment where all sports are seeking to maximise their financial and viewing support, football is in danger of being at the bottom of many sports fans list. 

Armaghgeddon

I was expecting this to happen, a dogged fight to the end and I wanted this to happen. I dont care how unattractive on the eye it was, this is a young Armagh team, they need to grind out wins and not let their guards down to the final whistle. They did it against Tipperary and then learnt from their mistakes and went on to demolish Donegal.

Its a totally different game now, Armagh let their guard down again [Although it could be argued it wasnt a penalty - and I dont think it was] and it almost cost them. They should have went on to score more points and to me it seemed like they were happy enought to sit back and just absorb everything Derry threw at them which they did.

I dont think it was a cynical game, Eoin did deserve to go but it wasnt a straight red card. Moriarity [havent seen it again] went for the ball and his forearm wasnt tucked in. The referee didnt see anything cynical in the tackle, but he did recognise what he thought was a foul.

McKeever is a f*cker, he knows exactly how to touch a raw nerve when he plays opponents and all I can say is that im glad he plays for Armagh, teams need players like him.  ;D

Armagh can improve and will improve, Ronan will be back for Monaghan. Jamie Clarke took that shot very maturely, what a great way to start your first Championship game. Armagh's options up front are expanisve, the midfield is versatile and the backs are solid. Hearty did him and Armagh proud today but I still see him as a liability but willing to accept him as goalkeeper.

put-it-up

On the plus side some Paddy Power employee made an absolute balls of things on the first to score for their team section online.

P Bradley was 6/1 to score first goal of the game and 25/1 to score first for his team - and I am not taking the piss. McDonnelll was 30/1 to score first goal for Armagh. Couldn't believe my eyes.

I've withdrawn the money from the account already - they won't be getting that back  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Logan

Armagh's options up front are expansive?
Oh yeh?