Derry v Armagh Championship

Started by bennydorano, April 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: Estimator on May 12, 2010, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on May 12, 2010, 02:18:42 PM
Quote from: Estimator on May 12, 2010, 01:59:09 PM
The more i think about this game, the more I think Derry are going to get beat.  Armagh have a settled side playing well. Whereas Derry have injury problems at the back, a midfield that has not performed recently at all, and a misfiring forward line that depends on a couple of individuals to make a difference. Armagh by 5pts

Mind games Estimator, mind games,

take a stab at the Derry team there available 

No mind games at all.  Just an observation.
Derry will prob line out
Gillis
McBride
McGuckian
McAlary
McGuigan
McGoldrick(Barry)
O'Kane
Doherty
Patsy Bradley
McGoldrick (Sean Leo)
Kielt
Mullan
E Bradley
P Bradley
Lynch

Great individuals some of them
Great team - not at all. 
Good team - every 2nd/3rd game
Bad team - see above

Decent looking team, if they click on their day they would beat anyone, Keilt in CHF is a class act, twice the player (in my opinion of Marty Clarke)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

sheamy

am I right in saying (and I know this counts for little) that Armagh haven't beat Derry for a good number of years in league or championship?

I think the Ulster semi final in casement in 2005 when John Toal got a goal was the last time (I could be wrong). Since then Derry have won the three meetings (qualifier in Clones), league in Celtic Park and Crossmaglen.

It's safe to say neither will have much fear of the other I think...

Onion Bag

I think you're are right sheamy,

that would make Derry clear favourites, they have been playing div 1 football all year, they have won the last few matches between the 2, and last but not least they are on home turf

derry by 5-6 points

sheamy

jasus I was gonna say 10 but 5 will do....

drici

Quote from: sheamy on May 12, 2010, 03:20:43 PM

I think the Ulster semi final in casement in 2005 when John Toal got a goal was the last time

maddog got sunburnt.

sheamy

I think he was the boy in front of me...sounds like him. Done nuthin but shout "NO CHANCES FRANCIS". feckin eejit but kinda likeable not like that other shower between us  ;)

Onion Bag

Quote from: sheamy on May 12, 2010, 03:27:41 PM
jasus I was gonna say 10 but 5 will do....

On reflection, and taking everything into consideration a  10 point victory for Derry does look more realistic 

maddog

Quote from: drici on May 12, 2010, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: sheamy on May 12, 2010, 03:20:43 PM

I think the Ulster semi final in casement in 2005 when John Toal got a goal was the last time

maddog got sunburnt.

Was like a matchhead that night alright. Dont think much danger of a repeat this weekend.

sheamy

now you're talking man!! you're right...that's what all the indicators are saying. I don't know why Jarlath Burns can't see that. He thinks Derry are shite and Armagh are shoe-ins.

Onion Bag

He would know more about a fish supper

sheamy

jarlath seems to love down for some reason. always gets wile excited about down in feb or march time. every year it happens. very strange. like joe brolly and tyrone. there's two men know about fish suppers.

illdecide

My biggest worry is in midfield and thats where i believe Derry have the advantage, both teams are equally matched in the forward department and I'd rate Armagh slightly better defensively better than Derry but P Bradley and the Doc in the middle may well be to strong for our two lads. Toner is an excellent prospect and Armagh are struggling for another quality midfielder to play along side him, the experience of Doc and Bradley may well swing it in Derry's favour, afterall the more the midfield wins the more the forwards get...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armagho9

i can see the Armagh kick outs being aimed at Swift and Vernon on the two wings.  Both very good in the air.  Chances are Derry wing backs will not be overly tall.

In saying that Heartys kickouts normally hit the fecking sideline anyway  ::)

Estimator

Quote from: Onion Bag on May 12, 2010, 03:23:53 PM
I think you're are right sheamy,

that would make Derry clear favourites, they have been playing div 1 football all year, they have won the last few matches between the 2, and last but not least they are on home turf

derry by 5-6 points

Mind games, Onion Bag, mind games  ;)
Apart from the Qualifier Derry haven't beat Armagh in the Championship since the 20th Century
Ulster League Champions 2009

Onion Bag

Everything is stacked in Derrys favour, like i said,

They have to 2 Bradleys back fit

Armagh are without one of the best forwards in Ireland Ronan Clarke

Derry had a bad league campaign, but you know the craic with Wounded animals

Home Turf