Derry v Armagh Championship

Started by bennydorano, April 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowsthataFoul?

Quote from: mackers on May 10, 2010, 04:18:43 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 10, 2010, 03:46:22 PM
Mackers you know far too much on the geography of Derry for an Armagh man! It's my brothers turn to drive so may be quite a journey for me!

See Maurice Deegan down to referee. Have not seen him referee an Armagh match in a while but from other matches I have seen he seems to have improved a great deal since his handling of Armagh Donegal about 5 years ago. Hope he has a easy game to ref anyway.
My work has had me in Derry city quite a bit and I fecking hate that Omagh Strabane road........if it's the Ciaran boy you'd need to set out at about 5 am to get there on time! :D

You're right about Deegan, made a mess of that Donegal match but has improved a lot since then.

Thanks for the other directions, there's a few options there alright.  I've been on that Draperstown to Claudy road, it's wild territory up there. Presumably all the south Derry wans will be heading up through Dungiven and it'll be busy so it's an option alright. I'd walk an extra mile or so to make sure I can get away quickly, especially if we're beat..........so I might park on or around Bishop Street.

Its hardly any wilder than south armagh

jodyb

Mackers you know far too much on the geography of Derry for an Armagh man! It's my brothers turn to drive so may be quite a journey for me!

See Maurice Deegan down to referee. Have not seen him referee an Armagh match in a while but from other matches I have seen he seems to have improved a great deal since his handling of Armagh Donegal about 5 years ago. Hope he has a easy game to ref anyway.
My work has had me in Derry city quite a bit and I fecking hate that Omagh Strabane road........if it's the Ciaran boy you'd need to set out at about 5 am to get there on time! :D

You're right about Deegan, made a mess of that Donegal match but has improved a lot since then.

Thanks for the other directions, there's a few options there alright.  I've been on that Draperstown to Claudy road, it's wild territory up there. Presumably all the south Derry wans will be heading up through Dungiven and it'll be busy so it's an option alright. I'd walk an extra mile or so to make sure I can get away quickly, especially if we're beat..........so I might park on or around Bishop Street.

No doubt about that  :D but I wouldn't entertain going through Dungiven. Draperstown Feeny Claudy is definitely the way to go.

armagho9

Quote from: jodyb on May 10, 2010, 04:22:38 PM

No doubt about that  :D but I wouldn't entertain going through Dungiven. Draperstown Feeny Claudy is definitely the way to go.

plenty of sheep dodging and third gear

armaghniac

it seems that the Ulster council is rooting for Armagh....

Ulster final may be hosted at Croker

Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:51 PM

Ulster Council Secretary Danny Murphy has hinted that the Ulster Senior Football Championship final may be set to return to Croke Park this July, after a four-year absence.

Speaking at today's Ulster SFC Launch at Belfast Castle, Murphy revealed that the Jones's Road venue is not off the table in terms of hosting this year's northern decider.

"If circumstances dictate that consideration (again), our Council will take a look at it," admitted Murphy.

Murphy has previously stated that if a crowd in excess of 45,000 is expected for the final, that consideration will be given for hosting the final at Croke Park.

This year's Ulster final is fixed for Sunday, July 18, with Croke Park currently available on that date.

"The fixing of the Ulster final will take place around the semi-final stages," added Murphy.

"We demonstrated in the past that if we believed that the game needed to go to Croke Park, that we can consider Croke Park.

"There's no indication on that one way or another at this time.

"Games at Croke Park have had crowds in excess of 60,000. If that's the level we're going to, we'd have to consider it."

An Armagh-Tyrone final pairing would be expected to draw a large attendance, with the former All-Ireland champions contesting the 2005 decider at GAA headquarters, which Armagh won after a replay.

Armagh also faced Donegal in the 2004 and 2006 Ulster SFC finals at Croke Park, with the Orchard County victorious in both games.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/sport/ulster-final-may-be-hosted-at-croker-457162.html#ixzz0nYb37gXI
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Belfast Castle? Next time they're in my neck of the woods I wish they'd tell me - I cudda went along and heckled!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

charlie stubbs

Quote from: mackers on May 10, 2010, 03:32:03 PM
See the match is down for 2, presumably minors starting at 12.15........that'll mean an early start. Can the locals confirm whether the Craigavon Bridge would be a bit of a bottleneck before or after the game? Thinking of going up through Cookstown and Dungiven and taking the Foyle Bridge and parking in the city centre (say Bishop St) and walking over to Celtic Park.
Would that be sensible or not?

minors at 12

sheamy

I heard armagh minors have still got 10 of last years AI team/squad? that would make them a serious outfit. Is this true?

mountainboii

Quote from: sheamy on May 11, 2010, 08:37:13 AM
I heard armagh minors have still got 10 of last years AI team/squad? that would make them a serious outfit. Is this true?

Only 2 from the first 15 still about so it'll be a very different team. I thought it was closer to 6 or 7 in total from the squad, but it could well be 10.

oakleaflad

anyone care to guess the two teams?

armagho9

i think Armagh will start the same team as national league final

mackers

Quote from: armagho9 on May 11, 2010, 11:53:46 AM
i think Armagh will start the same team as national league final
I'd say that will be the case, Hearty and B Mallon can consider themselves lucky but hopefully they will prove the doubters wrong..........l.
Looking forward to seeing the minors, would be a big ask for them to back up last year's feats with a new team, Peter Carragher is a super footballer and we'll need him to have a big match.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

whiskeysteve

Complete shot in the dark at a Derry team I wouldnt mind seeing...

Gillis

Mick McGoldrick   Kevin McGuckin   Dermot McBride

Barry McGuigan   Barry McGoldrick   Gerard O'Kane

Patsy Bradley   Fergal Doc

Declan Mullan   James Kielt   Sean Leo McGoldrick

Skinner   Mark Lynch   Paddy B

With Declan Mullan and Sean Leo working and counter attacking from deep. Skinner out to half forward or in front of sweeper if thats played, leaving Lynch and Paddy 2 man FF line.

Bench: Brian Og, Wilko, Diver, Brian Mullan, etc

Dont have a clue what why it will go in reality. Armagh are way more settled than we are.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

jodyb

Could be a big factor for Derry if it's accurate.

From Hoganstand:
McGoldrick set to miss out

11 May 2010

Defender Michael McGoldrick is a major doubt for Derry's Ulster SFC preliminary round clash with Armagh on Sunday.

McGoldrick aggravated a rib injury while playing for Bellaghy in a recent club championship game and is unlikely to feature against the Orchard County. Derry manager Damian Cassidy was already planning without Charlie Kielt before learning of McGoldrick's injury, so his defensive options have been greatly reduced.

Dermot McBride and Kevin McGuckin are set to start in the full back line, while other options in this area include Brian Og McAlary and Kevin McCloy.

Midfielder Fergal Doherty and Declan Mullan are expected to recover from hip and hamstring injuries respectively, while former All-Star Enda Mulddon should see action from the bench after battling back from a broken foot.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=128508

unitedireland

mountainboii

What way are tickets shifting? Going to be a full house?