Jim Wells' (DUP MLA) continued bigotry towards the GAA.

Started by mournerambler, April 28, 2010, 12:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Following on from his bigoted objections to Bryansford GAA clubs' planning application, I see he is now quoted in the local press as  being opposed to Down District Council's decision to contribute £2000 towards the hosting of GAA congress in Newcastle recently, he is of the opinion that the GAA is a "vastly profitable" organisation & thought it was a "waste of money" he also states that he was "surprised" that a member of the UUP seconded the motion proposed by the SDLP.
I have to say that I'm not surprised by his latest rant against an organisation that he & his cronies are obviously extremly jealous of & better still, I do have a laugh to myself when I read each one of his rants because it shows me the envy he has towards the GAA.
http://daithimckay.blogspot.com/2010/03/poots-holding-up-gaa-application-passed.html

Orior

Cutting off his nose to spite his face.

That conference in Newcastle would have brought a lot of cash spend into Newcastle.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

sandwiches_in_the_boot

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Banana Man

Is this man not also a big advocate of the national park i.e. stop building homes in Longstone, attical, Glassdrummand, Ballymartin and any other other nationalist area in the Mournes

It was in the Irish News that he was texting Edwin Poots during the council meeting that actually gave approval!!!!

southsidejohnny

Jesus will we ever get over the fact that someone somewhere has it in for us all the time. He has his beliefs so dont be giving him credence and air. And he is right about one thing....the GAA has plenty of money.

thejuice

Well taking his comments on face value, I am surprised that the GAA's congress would require funding from a local authority. He's not wrong in the sense that the GAA is very wealthy. But I won't say he hasn't ulterior motives.

Ease up on the 'black' comments, especially when accusing others of bigotry, dont you think??
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bensars

I dont know why some of you are getting so upset. Its nothing more than you would have expected.

It may have escaped some people attention that there is an election in a few weeks, and any publicity will be gladly accepted by those standing and controversal as it may be he has a point. The GAA must be the wealthiest sporting organisation on the island of Ireland and the  payment or non payment  from the council would not have put the venue in any doubt.

Archie Mitchell

Must be a DUP thing to have a go at the GAA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10745220

MLA hits out at Ulster Bank Omagh branch GAA display

A DUP MLA has complained about a display of bunting celebrating the success of the Tyrone Gaelic football team inside Ulster Bank's Omagh branch.

Thomas Buchanan said such displays may breach rules on neutral working environments.

In a statement, the Ulster Bank said the displays were part of its sponsorship of the Ulster Championship.

It added that it sponsored a wide range of activities, including rugby, cricket, hockey and the arts.

Mr Buchanan claimed that the GAA was not a "purely sporting organisation".

He added: "It has yet to divest itself of the baggage of politics and overt republicanism.

"The Ulster Bank branch in Omagh is used by people from all over the community. It is wrong that divisive symbols should have been put up in this way.

"I am aware that Ulster Bank sponsors the GAA and this may have motivated their decision.

"However, I believe they need to show greater sensitivity before any future displays of this kind are considered."

Also kind of unrelated but along the same lines

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10703108

I wonder how many fines will be handed out for all the on street drinking in Belfast on the 12th July? Never seen as many people drinking in the street and there was some amount of empty cans and bottles scattered around the place.

fitzroyalty

People like that idiot need to get themselves down to the bingo hall and get themselves a woman. f**king relax.

I'm sure he wasn't complaining about the neutrality of the red white and blue bunting in Omagh town centre?

Maguire01

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 23, 2010, 09:01:29 PM
I'm sure he wasn't complaining about the neutrality of the red white and blue bunting in Omagh town centre?
I believe that it was red, white and blue, to mark the Ulster final between Tyrone and Monaghan.

Hereiam

What has he to say about the flying of the union jack from council offices. Should catholic workers in these buildings just put up and shut up. This is the DUP's mentality.... don't give the catholics an inch. And if they spot anything make sure they get on to there friends in the press and have it highlighted. Absolute toss pot.

Redhand Santa

There's uvf flags flying in multiple towns across the north and not a word from the DUP on it. Surely a bigger problem.