Wireless connection help

Started by tyrone girl, April 24, 2010, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Anyone any idea what would be causing the wireless connection to go off? None of us can access internet on laptops at home, but tis ok from pc. Also when i put in the ip address to the laptop and the router home page came up its saying we are fully connected to internet. Its driving me mad - had no idea how slow this bloody pc is as i havnt used it in ages. There were probs with internet on thurs evening but think it was like that a lot of places locally. Anyone know anything?

pintsofguinness

That happens my wireless connection if the connection drops, I've to turn on and off the router to get wireless working again. Did you try that?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Billys Boots

Sometimes if the internet browser (explorer/firefox) is left on and unattended at home the connection drops and the router has to be turned off and on again (after 30 seconds).  Repair connection should get you back then.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

tyrone girl

Have tried turning it off and on lots of times, tried resetting it also. Still makes no difference,

Mhic Easmuint

Try disabling the Wireless Security on the router then connecting. 
If it works, enable the Wireless Security then try connecting again.

tyrone girl

Dont think we have any security on the router - as far as i know we dont. God this is driving me mad. Dont want to phone aol cos they are bloody useless and il end up speaking to someone in india  >:(. Have tried turning on and off the router numerous times and resetting it. Its showing us as being connected to the internet on the laptop but then when any of us try out laptops it wont let us and saying something about domain server name or something

ardmhachaabu

Try this, go to start, then run and type cmd

A black box will pop up with a prompt flashing on it, or it should

In this box type ipconfig/release and let it do its thing, when it reports back that it has successfully carried out that command then type ipconfig/renew, when that says it has been successful try the internet

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

tyrone girl

I dont have a run button when hit start, have on my pc here but not on the laptop, whats the other alternative to it?

ardmhachaabu

what version of windows is on the laptop?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 24, 2010, 06:43:13 PM
I dont have a run button when hit start, have on my pc here but not on the laptop, whats the other alternative to it?

Progarm Files >> Accessories >> Command Prompt

tyrone girl

Cheers i got it , its windows vista, i did that but when typed the thing ipconfig release it said something like this needs to be evaluated so then typed the ipconfig renew and it says a pile of stuff i have no clue about now
tunnel adapter local area connection 7
media state - media disconnected
connection specific dns suffix

then repeats that with diff numbers after local area connection

HELPPP

tyrone girl

It says no operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected
wtf does that mean

ardmhachaabu

You probably have a wired network card as well as a wireless one, if you don't have a cable plugged into it and it receiving an IP address from somewhere it will give that error.  There would have been a ton of stuff in the output of those commands

You have to type those commands the way I put them; ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew - whether you put a space in or not doesn't matter

If Vista is asking if it is ok to run the commands, say yes, otherwise tell us what it says

tyrone girl

Thats what its saying what i tyoed above. tried it again there now and when i put in the first command its saying this requires evaluation so then i type the renew part and it says what i wrote above. Have no clue how to get it sorted

mylestheslasher

Have you recently installed any other wireless devices in your house?