Author Topic: The SDLP  (Read 26167 times)

A Quinn Martin Production

• View Profile
Re: The SDLP
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
IDEA!!  Watch the Politics Show "debate" with McKinney & Kelly.  McKinney wouldn't get elected if he was the only one standing...Question for McKinney supporters...how long has he been a member of the SDLP??
Firstly, I think some people are placing too much importance on that episode of The Politics Show. McKinney was bad, but it's hardly a primetime show. It's impact will be limited.

Also I'm not sure of the relevance of McKinney's time in the SDLP. How long was Ruane a member of SF before she stood for them as a candidate?

Haven't a clue, I would never vote for Ruane as she's been promoted way above her level of competence (plus she's not standing in my constituency).  However I do know that she was involved in community "activism" in West Belfast for a good while before she became an elected representative but that's probably not relevant. 

Fearghal McKinney is looking for my vote judging by the leaflet stuck on my car at Mass on Sunday and the same leaflet through the letter box.  So his background and experience are relevant.  The SDLP will loook back on his candidacy next Friday and think "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time"  I would guess the thinking was "We'll get a high profile celeb candidate to eat into Gildernew's vote and maybe set us up for a decent tilt at Gerry McHugh's Assembly seat".  Maybe not a bad strategy.  They were scuppered by two things 1) The single Unionist/Tory candidate (over which the SDLP had no control) and 2) A poor candidate who clearly doesn't have a grasp of the issues (over which they do have control).
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
IDEA!!  Watch the Politics Show "debate" with McKinney & Kelly.  McKinney wouldn't get elected if he was the only one standing...Question for McKinney supporters...how long has he been a member of the SDLP??
Firstly, I think some people are placing too much importance on that episode of The Politics Show. McKinney was bad, but it's hardly a primetime show. It's impact will be limited.

Also I'm not sure of the relevance of McKinney's time in the SDLP. How long was Ruane a member of SF before she stood for them as a candidate?

McKinney's performance wasn't of Cecil Walker proportions, but it was pretty bad by anyone's standards. It was certainly poor enough to make me seriously reconsider about lumping heavily on Connor.

the daddy..don't lump on anyone here...I still think Connor will win but it's going to be too close to consider a big bet IMHO

ziggysego

• View Profile
    • My Way Access
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »

How do you make that?

He goes on the show to debate with Gerry Kelly about why Nationalists should vote SDLP instead of Sinn Fein. He makes a complete hash of it. Spurting out tired cliches and losing every single debate against him.

To me that is important. It highlights that rather than selecting a candidate of substance, the SDLP parashooted in a local celebrity to win votes. Quite frankly, that's insulting to the local electorate.

A further note, you may say Fergal McKinney is new to politics. Mike Nesbitt is new to politics too, but he handled himself a lot better against Jeffrey Donaldson.
Testing Accessibility

cusack og

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:22 PM »
Lets not forget another aspect of this equation,Margaret Ritchie will need Unionist votes to retain South Down for the SDLP, probably her primary reason for rejecting a pact, pure self interest

Nail on the head. It is within the SDLP's interest to appeal to the centre ground to help maintain their vote in areas like South Down and Foyle. Making any pact with SF may scupper this.

Maguire01

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
How do you make that?

He goes on the show to debate with Gerry Kelly about why Nationalists should vote SDLP instead of Sinn Fein. He makes a complete hash of it. Spurting out tired cliches and losing every single debate against him.

To me that is important. It highlights that rather than selecting a candidate of substance, the SDLP parashooted in a local celebrity to win votes. Quite frankly, that's insulting to the local electorate.
Ziggy, not saying that his appearance wasn't a diaster, just wondering what propotion of the electorate actually watched that show - it's not exactly primetime. If few people saw it, it's impact may not be very significant.

As for 'substance', there's more to that than performing in a TV interview; there are plenty of politicians who can talk the talk but do little else. Difficult to judge whether he has any substance at this stage. And as for being dropped into Fermanagh, he does at least have a proper connection to the area - there are many instances of parachuting in candidates across all parties.

And I agree, Nesbitt performed well against Donaldson, but that doesn't necessarily mean McKinney can't improve with time.

ardmhachaabu

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »
Lets not forget another aspect of this equation,Margaret Ritchie will need Unionist votes to retain South Down for the SDLP, probably her primary reason for rejecting a pact, pure self interest

Nail on the head. It is within the SDLP's interest to appeal to the centre ground to help maintain their vote in areas like South Down and Foyle. Making any pact with SF may scupper this.
Spot on.  Why would they even countenance the shinners' approach for a pact?  It makes no long-term sense, if they accepted a pact there would be no need for them. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

DickyRock

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
Does anyone know why the shinners pulled out of South Belfast rather than FST?

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
Does anyone know why the shinners pulled out of South Belfast rather than FST?

Presumably since the SDLP are the incumbent in Sth Belfast and SF are the incumbent in FST, the Shinners are giving up 3,000 votes in Sth Belfast whereas they'd be giving up 19,000 in FST?

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:39 AM »
I was told it was a policy of SDLP not to enter into pacts so if this is the case, why the anger at them this time, what's changed from any other time?  Is there historical precedence of them doing it (in the last 20 years anyway)?

On another point, jeez I can't listen to Catriona Ruane - she was on Radio Ulster this morning and for once I thought Margaret Ritchie spoke more sense.

ziggysego

• View Profile
    • My Way Access
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
On another point, jeez I can't listen to Catriona Ruane - she was on Radio Ulster this morning and for once I thought Margaret Ritchie spoke more sense.

The two of them are hard to listen to  :D
Testing Accessibility

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
I was told it was a policy of SDLP not to enter into pacts so if this is the case, why the anger at them this time, what's changed from any other time?  Is there historical precedence of them doing it (in the last 20 years anyway)?

What is that called...Hobson's Choice??

Hurler on the Bitch

• Bring Back Dinny Cahill....
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »
Did anyone see this pack of clowns on over the weekend? That Richie one is an absolute nightmare. She has no charisma, no humour, no intellect and ... I could go on. Shower of arrogant Castle Snobs..

Nally Stand

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
Did anyone see this pack of clowns on over the weekend? That Richie one is an absolute nightmare. She has no charisma, no humour, no intellect and ... I could go on. Shower of arrogant Castle Snobs..

Solicitors Doctors & Lawyers Party.

You're right about that bundle of joy that is Margaret Richie; and it's because of her lack of charisma, humour, intellect, charm, tactical awareness, personality etc that I hope & pray she remains as the stoops leader, and with any luck will do untold damage to their electoral prospects.

Rant over.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Gaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »

You're right about that bundle of joy that is Margaret Richie; and it's because of her lack of charisma, humour, intellect, charm, tactical awareness, personality etc that I hope & pray she remains as the stoops leader, and with any luck will do untold damage to their electoral prospects.

Rant over.

Solicitors and Lawyers are the same thing ::)
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

TacadoirArdMhacha

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »

Rant over.

Solicitors and Lawyers are the same thing ::)

Not strictly true. All solicitors are lawyers but not all lawyers are solicitors.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead