Author Topic: The SDLP  (Read 25485 times)

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
Re: The SDLP
« Reply #330 on: March 05, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
To my knowledge that is inaccurate. The party has plenty of money. This linkup was about political profile.
Nicola Mallon was central to this link up as deputy leader.

Nonsense, SDLP is on its knees when it comes to money.  Donations are so far behind all other parties and they are dependent on expenses from Stormont which are much reduced:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/political-parties-campaigning-and-donations/donations-and-loans-to-political-parties/quarterly-donations-and-loans

To run a modern election, money is everything.  FF brings that resource.

Just because you are deputy leader does not mean you cannot think for yourself or stay true to your principles.

OK you seem to know it all.  ;)

Just factual.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »
Ivan Cooper: Northern Ireland civil rights leader dies
One of Northern Ireland's best-known civil rights leaders, Ivan Cooper, has died aged 75.

Obituary - Ivan Cooper
Mr Cooper was one of the leaders of the civil rights march in Londonderry in 1972 that ended in 13 people being shot dead on Bloody Sunday.

He was a founding member of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) and played a major role in the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association.

SDLP leader Colum Eastwood said he was "born to break the mould".

Mr Cooper was born into a working-class Protestant and unionist family in Killaloo, County Londonderry, in January 1944.

He was briefly involved in unionist politics before later becoming involved with the civil rights movement and with constitutional nationalism.

'Driving ambition'
Mr Eastwood said Mr Cooper "embodied the contrasting traditions of this island".

"A working class Protestant man who saw a common injustice and inequality that had taken root in Protestant and Catholic communities, he dedicated his life to fighting it," he said.

"As an early leader in the civil rights movement, few have contributed as much to peace and equality on this island than Ivan.

"Alongside his close friend John Hume, he helped blaze the trail on the path that led to the Good Friday Agreement."
As violence escalated in Northern Ireland, Mr Cooper remained involved in constitutional nationalism, becoming a Stormont MP and eventually community relations minister in the power-sharing executive at Stormont in 1974.

That power-sharing arrangement between nationalists and moderate unionists was brought down by the Ulster Workers' Council strike, supported by the muscle of loyalist paramilitaries like the Ulster Defence Association.

He left active politics in 1983 and went on to work as an insolvency consultant in Derry.
In a statement on behalf of former SDLP leader John Hume, his wife Pat Hume said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of our dear friend Ivan Cooper.

"Ivan and John walked side by side, hand in hand, in their shared desire for equality, justice and peace in Ireland.

"Ivan was the embodiment of the non-violent and non-sectarian movement for change that was the campaign for civil rights."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-45049734

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
Margaret Ritchie to enter the lords. Jesus wept, I know the SDLP are sore at having no MP's and I know that she has technically resigned. But HTF on principle can any Irish Nationalist join the lords?

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 10, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Margaret Ritchie to enter the lords. Jesus wept, I know the SDLP are sore at having no MP's and I know that she has technically resigned. But HTF on principle can any Irish Nationalist join the lords?

Hardly a surprise;

Margaret still taking the soup.

charlieTully

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »

the SDLP are not Irish nationalists, they take an oath of allegiance to lizzy windsor and doth the cap to their english overlords in Westminster.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:56:09 AM by charlieTully »

Jim Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »

HTF can any nationalist administer British Rule in Ireland , dine with the Queen etc etc

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »

the SDLP are not Irish nationalists, they take an oath of an allegiance to lizzy windsor and doth the cap to their english overlords in Westminster.

In that case you'd better take down Parnell's statue from O'Connell St and rename it back to Sackville St.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »
OK, it's about time this was brought to a head on here...

Can someone point out to me an authoritative link on the internet that clearly defines whom or what an Irish nationalist is, or indeed what is considered to be a baseline as to whom can be labelled "Irish" and those that can't?
Otherwise, can someone give a list of bullet points of what the criteria should be along with an explanation for each one as to why it is the case and if necessary why it is unique to Irish nationalism as opposed to other forms of nationalism in Europe or elsewhere.
The last bit there is important IMHO, as if someone can't be an Irish nationalist because they take up a seat at either house in Westminster, does the same criteria apply to those affiliated to the SNP or Plaid Cymru for Scottish and Welsh nationalism respectively?
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

Jim Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »

Can someone point out to me an authoritative link on the internet that clearly defines whom or what an Irish nationalist is, or indeed what is considered to be a baseline as to whom can be labelled "Irish" and those that can't?
Otherwise, can someone give a list of bullet points of what the criteria should be along with an explanation for each one as to why it is the case and if necessary why it is unique to Irish nationalism as opposed to other forms of nationalism in Europe or elsewhere.
The last bit there is important IMHO, as if someone can't be an Irish nationalist because they take up a seat at either house in Westminster, does the same criteria apply to those affiliated to the SNP or Plaid Cymru for Scottish and Welsh nationalism respectively?

Some people would have it you  weren't an Irishman if you criticised the Provisional IRA

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »

Might be slightly different as in their current vision of sovereign Independence  they envisage the crown as the head of state

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »
Might be slightly different as in their current vision of sovereign Independence  they envisage the crown as the head of state

Definitely a good point. Worth remembering that the current Queen Elizabeth II is a separate monarch for both England and Scotland concurrently, so even in a scenario of Scottish independence being declared & recognised, there's no necessary constitutional crises for Scotland as she'd (or her successor) would remain the Scottish monarch. Of course that does not in itself mean that there are no supporters in the SNP of an independent Scottish Republic. Wales is a little more complicated given it was a principality, but essentially it joined the lineage of the English crown, so very much like Scotland in that regard except perhaps she wouldn't be seen as a Monarch but more similar to the titles she has in the Isle of Man or Guernsey or Jersey.

And that nicely brings it back to the origins of Sinn Fein under its founding by Arthur Griffith, whom originally proposed a relationship between Ireland and Britain similar to that of the then present Austria-Hungary regarding a single monarch. Of course, later on Sinn Fein made a decisive decision to establish an independent Ireland as a republic. While today the Republic of Ireland does not have any serious persons or groups arguing for the abandonment of a Republic state, it was a more open position to have at one time in the late 19th & early 20th centuries.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:36:58 PM by Fionntamhnach »
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »

Presumably Baroness O'Loan had already been peddlng an SDLP type line in the Lords, given her connections?

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »

Hardly a surprise;

Margaret still taking the soup.

What a truly awful comment.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
I never actually knew the SDLP abstained from the house of lords. Why hasn't this been thrown at them before?

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
I never actually knew the SDLP abstained from the house of lords. Why hasn't this been thrown at them before?

Because they don't abstain. They don't accept peerages (rightly in my view) to an unelected house. That's the difference.