Author Topic: The SDLP  (Read 68768 times)

yellowcard

• View Profile
Re: The SDLP
« Reply #1005 on: April 07, 2021, 09:13:26 AM »
I don’t know which is worse. The SF supporters who slavishly follow the party or the anti SF brigade who slate them for absolutely everything. I’d be fairly certain that most nationalists never mind republicans in the north are none too bothered about taking seats in Westminster.

Anybody thinking that a few Irish MPs will exert any influence on British government policy needs to keep taking the Kool Aid. In fact it could be counter productive in the case of SF.

The DUP squeezed £1 billion out of Theresa May, did they not?

That was due to a rare case of the numbers falling in the DUP's favour. Even if that happened and lets say SF held the balance of power, then if you seriously think any British party, let alone the Tory party, would enter into a government arrangement with them then you are deluded. Even the DUP garnered front page negative English tabloid headlines for some of their racist, bigoted homophobic views when their suitability for government was being scrutinised. Could you imagine the outcry where such a situation existed with SF. I shouldn't even need to explain this. 

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 07, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »
I'm no expert but have read there was a good bit of smoke and mirrors surrounding that 1 billion. For example can anyone tell us where the 1 billion went? By all accounts a good sum of it was money they'd already promised us here anyway so really we didn't see 1 billion or even next to near it.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »
List of SF's accomplishments in Dáil Eireann:

End of list.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dail-passes-rent-freeze-bill-4930625-Dec2019/

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/52273

A few from recent years and they will be able to do a lot more going forward.

You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about SF.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 07, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
I'm no expert but have read there was a good bit of smoke and mirrors surrounding that 1 billion. For example can anyone tell us where the 1 billion went? By all accounts a good sum of it was money they'd already promised us here anyway so really we didn't see 1 billion or even next to near it.

Yip,
 It was "repackaged" by the Tory's mostly money we were already going to get and a little bit extra for Arlene and Co to sell it as a good news story which they've dined out on for the last few years alright.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 07, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »
Yeah exactly -  plus it was pretty much blackmail on a very very rare occasion where the tories needed somewhere from here.

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 07, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »
Colum of Stopping Brexit fame saying Unionists leader much do better in light of the recent violence.

Maybe Colum would be better looking at his own little political stunt and the role it has in kicking things off.

The SDLP have been badly exposed in the past week.

Totally agree. SDLP have contributed a lot over the years, but current strategy from leadership seems focussed on rivalry with SF above all else, thereby often letting unionism
Off the hook. “Nationalist/republican” political parties here haven’t done well in recent years. Demographics indicate that there should be an increasing “N/R” vote but in fact SF seem to have lost voters to SDLP and SDLP lost voters to a resurgent alliance , and as a result the “N/R” vote hasn’t effectively increased. I think SF will only increase their vote by attracting voters back from SDLP. Most republicans will remain loyal to SF, so there’s not many more votes there, but SF will have to perform better in terms of formulating and selling a strategy for a UI, and continue to soften to attract SDLP voters , and/or be “more acceptable “ for coalition, north and south. IMHO regardless of their rationale behind the IRA campaign , there has to be more contrition and remorse for the hurt caused, if SF are serious about securing their status as main party north/south.
Thats a fair assessment.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 07, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »
I wouldn't agree that SF have lost voters to the SDLP at all.

They grew their vote in the last assembly election. They went down in the Westminister elections but SF run on an abstentionist ticket so their vote drive is never as strong as it is on an Assembly election. It was also notable the context in Brexit and bombastic claims made by Eastwood and how he would stop Brexit.

I expect SF will probably stay steady in the next Assembly election whereas the SDLP could be in for a rude awakening.

The big issue is how will unionism hold up, will the TUV run more candidates and can they tap into the discontent with the UUP/SDLP now.

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 07, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »

They grew their vote in the last assembly election. They went down in the Westminister elections but SF run on an abstentionist ticket so their vote drive is never as strong as it is on an Assembly election. It was also notable the context in Brexit and bombastic claims made by Eastwood and how he would stop Brexit.

I expect SF will probably stay steady in the next Assembly election whereas the SDLP could be in for a rude awakening.

The big issue is how will unionism hold up, will the TUV run more candidates and can they tap into the discontent with the UUP/SDLP now.
The only thing preventing me from voting SDLP again is current leadership of Eastwood and our local SDLP representative, they express no policy other than a but SF. If they can change that and become a progressive nationalist party I would vote for them. There is a lot of what SF do that I don't like, such as the storey funeral, but they have a lend of my vote for now. To keep it they need new leadership and a bit of sense.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 07, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »

Do you think that stupid SF voters sided with SDLP on these claims of stopping brexit? Id have thought the voters on SF to be very smart
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 07, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »

Do you think that stupid SF voters sided with SDLP on these claims of stopping brexit? Id have thought the voters on SF to be very smart

I think there are a number of people who are not party attached and voted for Colum on his pledge to stop Brexit the last time out.

I think those people won't be voting for Colum again.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 07, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »

All politics are local and you get the impression that some of the SF candidates in the North West weren't exactly picked on merit if you know what I mean..

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 07, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »

I think there are a number of people who are not party attached and voted for Colum on his pledge to stop Brexit the last time out.

So are they floaters? So just vote whatever the wind blows in their favour
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 07, 2021, 12:08:24 PM »

A certain element absoluteley. When the GFA was signed the SDLP voting base began to make the move to SF in significant numbers.

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 07, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »

A certain element absoluteley. When the GFA was signed the SDLP voting base began to make the move to SF in significant numbers.

That’s fair but in realty  SF vote has increased mainly on that basis. The overall UI vote hasn’t really increased in the way expected from the demographics. I’d like to see the anti-DUP vote harnessed more. Unionists are never going to vote SF but may vote alliance . If “Green🇨🇮“ vote can increase in keeping with demographics and soft unionists are attracted by Alliance and greens, then we could see a different dynamic .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:08:40 PM by 6th sam »

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 07, 2021, 01:13:24 PM »

That’s fair but in realty  SF vote has increased mainly on that basis. The overall UI vote hasn’t really increased in the way expected from the demographics. I’d like to see the anti-DUP vote harnessed more. Unionists are never going to vote SF but may vote alliance . If “Green🇨🇮“ vote can increase in keeping with demographics and soft unionists are attracted by Alliance and greens, we’ll make progress .

Absolutely. SF just need to worry about solidifying their base. The rest needs to be more of a case of the demographics shifting towards a more central point away from staunch unionism.

Parties like the Alliance and Greens won't be a barrier to a UI. The voting base of the likes of PBP probably overwhelmingly support it.

It's all about diluting the stranglehold of intransigent 1950s Unionism.