6 counties election

Started by Ulick, April 22, 2010, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: SambaSaffron on May 10, 2010, 05:12:30 PM
Brown resigning.

Looks like the pieces are falling into place for a Lab/Lib Dem British Government.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on May 10, 2010, 05:14:23 PM
Brown resigning.

Looks like the pieces are falling into place for a Lab/Lib Dem British Government.
The fence sitting Lib Dems can't make a decision. Big shock. Odds shortening on a Labour/Lib Dem pact. Some integrity by Clegg.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 10, 2010, 06:53:39 PM
Brown resigning.

The fence sitting Lib Dems can't make a decision. Big shock. Odds shortening on a Labour/Lib Dem pact. Some integrity by Clegg.
I wouldn't call it fence sitting - he's playing the game, holding out for the best deal possible. Also, Clegg can't make any decision on his own, so there's no point in him scrambling somthing together that he can't get through the party structures.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 10, 2010, 07:15:19 PM
Brown resigning.

I wouldn't call it fence sitting - he's playing the game, holding out for the best deal possible. Also, Clegg can't make any decision on his own, so there's no point in him scrambling somthing together that he can't get through the party structures.
Is it the best deal for his party or the best deal for the electorate?

pintsofguinness

Brown resigning.

I wonder at what stage the public will get sick of clegg and co looking for election reform when the country is in the mess it is in and there's no government.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

I wouldn't blame him. If I was a Lib Dem I wouldn't be leaving without having electoral reform in the bag. They could wait a long time to get another crack at it.

Maguire01

Looks like the Lib Dems' game is working. Tories offering a referendum on AV now.

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 10, 2010, 07:35:05 PM
Brown resigning.

I wonder at what stage the public will get sick of clegg and co looking for election reform when the country is in the mess it is in and there's no government.

There is a Government, a Labour Government. Up until the English Queen's speech, 28th May I think. Up to that point, the Lib Dems can take all the time in the world to extract the best deal for them, from Labour and the Tories to form a new Government.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Quote from: ziggysego on May 11, 2010, 12:47:58 PM
There is a Government, a Labour Government. Up until the English Queen's speech, 28th May I think. Up to that point, the Lib Dems can take all the time in the world to extract the best deal for them, from Labour and the Tories to form a new Government.

Even after that. There is always a Government regardless. The 'Queen' won't accept a resignation untill there is someone acceptable ready to step in. That can go on for another 7 years if need be.

ziggysego

Quote from: Zapatista on May 11, 2010, 12:57:55 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 11, 2010, 12:47:58 PM

Even after that. There is always a Government regardless. The 'Queen' won't accept a resignation untill there is someone acceptable ready to step in. That can go on for another 7 years if need be.

Yeah, well I know that. I just meant that due to an eventuality of a hung parliament, there's a law to cope with that.
Testing Accessibility

Billys Boots

Apologies, I've been disinterested to this point - what % of the national vote did the Lib Dems get?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 11, 2010, 01:12:03 PM
Apologies, I've been disinterested to this point - what % of the national vote did the Lib Dems get?

23% (I think)

Billys Boots

And they get 9% of the seats?  Jaysus, then won't the party focus everything on getting a PR system in place, to the exclusion of essentially everything else?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggysego

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 11, 2010, 01:37:15 PM
And they get 9% of the seats?  Jaysus, then won't the party focus everything on getting a PR system in place, to the exclusion of essentially everything else?

It would appear to-date, the Labour Government is offering them a PR system and a full coalition Government, with Cabinet places. The Tories aren't offering a coalition, meerly consessions on certain points and a AV review.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 11, 2010, 01:37:15 PM

It is ridiculous alright Billy,
Cons 36% of vote but 47% of the seats
Labour 29% of vote but 39.5% of the seats
Libs 23% of vote but only 8.76% of the seats
The rest 12% of vote but only 4.3% of the seats!!
Tbc....