6 counties election

Started by Ulick, April 22, 2010, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Onlooker on May 07, 2010, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 07, 2010, 12:24:50 PM
Any chance potential kingmakers SF will take their seats?
No chance at all.
surely there has to be something they'd accept, some offer out there, otherwise a vote for them really was wasted?  I'm not coming at this from an SDLP vote for SF is a wasted vote viewpoint (although it's a fair comment), but really, in this situation where they could have the absolute balance of power, they should be pragmatic and swear an oath (as politicians they may have told a few porkies before) if it was going to advance their overall aims?

Billys Boots

Strategically, if the Tories want out of NI, wouldn't they be better off doing a deal with the (apparent) nationalists than the other shower?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Sandino

Nick Clegg is a Tory with a yellow tie and he will make this hypothetical discussion irrelevant by putting on a blue tie by this evening.   
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Bogball XV

Quote from: Sandino on May 07, 2010, 12:50:26 PM
Nick Clegg is a Tory with a yellow tie and he will make this hypothetical discussion irrelevant by putting on a blue tie by this evening.
I'd be surprised, he surely can't do anything without getting PR of some sort in and the tories do not want that, say they will not go down that road.
I'd say his earlier statement was purely to give him a stronger bargaining position with labour (no Brown for a start), immediate moves for electoral reform etc etc

Sandino

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Zapatista

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 07, 2010, 12:42:41 PM
Strategically, if the Tories want out of NI, wouldn't they be better off doing a deal with the (apparent) nationalists than the other shower?

Who's the apparent and who are the other shower?

Besides, the torys don't give the north a second thought untill the torys need to for their own benefit.

ziggysego

Quote from: Boycey on May 07, 2010, 11:11:28 AM
Brilliant nights entertainment, the highlights for me were-

1. Jim Allister not knowing where Derry was.

2. Ur man waving the fivers at Robinson when he was speaking

3. Ian og auditioning for Britains got talent

Don't forget when Sarah Travers was interviewing Bruce Forsyth, he told her he was proud of Northern Ireland's Rory Mickleroy
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

QuoteJim Allister not knowing where Derry was

Yes - that was funny. He had a puss on him like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

omagh_gael

Sinn Fein officially have the largest share of the norths election votes at 25.5% with the DUP half a percent down. Another big blow to unionism as SF top the polls for 2nd election in a row.

Maguire01

A narrow lead though, considering the DUP didn't officially stand in FST. Also quite possible that the TUV will disappear and some of those votes will drift back to the DUP.
SF obviously have a few votes to pick up in Sth Belfast but it's still very tight for the Assembly elections.

Rossfan

I take it that with the UCUNF, or whatever it was called getting hammered ,
that most Unionists have no interest in voting for or belonging to a so called "National" Party from over the water ?
The first steps on the road to a "Closer Ireland " ??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aerlik

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 07, 2010, 11:38:31 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 07, 2010, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 04, 2010, 11:19:55 AM
Quote from: Ulick on May 03, 2010, 07:15:50 PM

wtf?!

Surely this would be the answer...

Rodney must still be on the 'L' plates as he has someone sitting in with him!

Probably a bit of ballast, I'd say.    Michelle has a quare girth on her and doesn't look like she'd have centre of gravity issues.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ONeill

How the candidates from NI fared across the water

The general election counts were a late night and early morning of mixed fortunes for candidates from Northern Ireland who were running for parties across the water.
The most high profile casualty was Liberal Democrat candidate Lembit Opik, who lost his seat in Montgomeryshire in Wales to the Conservatives.
The chat-show regular who has had high profile relationships with ITV weathergirl Sian Lloyd and one-half of the Cheeky Girls, Gabriela Irimia, lost to Glyn Davies despite defending a majority of more than 7,000 from 2005.

Five years on, the Conservative candidate managed a swing of over 13%.
Mr Opik, who was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, said he was "disappointed" by the result and admitted that it was unexpected.
"It is a sad time for me. On the other side, if you stand for politics, you have to be willing to contemplate defeat."
There was better news for Belfast-born Kate Hoey, who confirmed expectations by holding on comfortably to the Vaxuhall constituency in north London.
Her vote of 21,498 was just under a 50% share of the vote, giving her a majority of 10,651 over the Liberal Democrat challenger in second place.
Another London contender was Oxford-educated barrister Joanne Cash from County Armagh. Dubbed one of "Cameron's Cuties", she had been heavily tipped to win the seat of Westminster North from Labour.
However, in a result which confirmed the occasional quirkiness of how the night panned out nationwide, Ms Cash was defeated by the Labour candidate by 2,126.
The former Banbridge Academy pupil, who is expecting her first baby with husband Octavius Black, a friend of David Cameron, has blamed media reports about her for her failure to take the seat.
Meanwhile, another Conservative from Northern Ireland, Gareth McKeever from Tyrone, failed to win his target seat.

He stood in Westmorland and Lonsdale in the Lake District but finished second to Tom Farron of the Liberal Democrats, who maintained a majority of more than 12,000.
An Oxford graduate, who worked in high finance in London, Mr McKeever reportedly sold his flat in the capital to move to the north.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of State Shaun Woodward retained his St Helens and Whiston seat with a majority of 14,122.
NIO minister Paul Goggins won a majority of 7,575 in Wythenshawe and Sale East despite a swing of 5.7% from Labour to the Conservatives.
Shadow Secretary of State Owen Paterson easily retained his seat in Shropshire North, winning a majority of 15,828 over the Liberal Democrat in second place.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

Gareth Mc Keever Tyrone.  Were abouts is he from?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on May 08, 2010, 06:10:57 PM
Gareth Mc Keever Tyrone.  Were abouts is he from?
Would be a few about your place but I'd doubt many would be Tory Boys!

Yer woman Cash was in a seat the Conservatives expected to win so apparently she had a bit of a diva strop at the count.