It's OK for Rugby & Soccer but not our own members.

Started by mournerambler, April 22, 2010, 03:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Does anyone else think that this is totally wrong not to allow our own members a training session on the hallowed turf before their game in Croke?
http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=127538

passedit

QuoteSaturday will see Waterford footballers make their first ever appearance in Croke Park as they take on Limerick in the Division Four decider, while opponents Limerick have only been occasional visitors in the past, as have been Division Three finalists Antrim and Sligo.

One team missing from that list. Then add in two more who certainly looked like they'd rather not be there on their last few visits.

Don't Panic

Celt_Man

Stupid... I can understand the spirit of trying to keep the pitch at a very high standard but at the same time a 20 minute run out wouldn't matter that much would it?

It's the same in Cavan too, if you're playing in Kingspan Breffni Park, the subs aren't allowed out at half time and the club will be fined if they do.  Meanwhile there is usually dozens of children running around on the pitch at the same time!!  Great to see kids kicking about at half time but it really blows out the argument of not letting the subs on the pitch at very same time!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AZOffaly

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 22, 2010, 04:26:54 PM
Stupid... I can understand the spirit of trying to keep the pitch at a very high standard but at the same time a 20 minute run out wouldn't matter that much would it?

It's the same in Cavan too, if you're playing in Kingspan Breffni Park, the subs aren't allowed out at half time and the club will be fined if they do.  Meanwhile there is usually dozens of children running around on the pitch at the same time!!  Great to see kids kicking about at half time but it really blows out the argument of not letting the subs on the pitch at very same time!

Agree. I suppose the difficulty would be in making sure that it was just a run out and a few kicks over the bar etc. That would be no problem, and is churlish to deny it.

I suppose they are worried that teams would play backs and forwards, etc etc, and damage the pitch.

Celt_Man

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2010, 04:29:29 PM

Agree. I suppose the difficulty would be in making sure that it was just a run out and a few kicks over the bar etc. That would be no problem, and is churlish to deny it.

I suppose they are worried that teams would play backs and forwards, etc etc, and damage the pitch.

Again yes I understand their willingness to preserve the pitch but to stop 5 or 6 subs from kicking about at half time when there is a second half and 2 more matches that same day to be played is stupid.

cabra_harps

Think the point might have been soccer and rugby playing there at all. Cork pretty much done a u-turn at the congress in Down didn't they?! Permanent possibility of using Croker, bit excessive (not to repoen an old debate).  :P

centrefield

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2010, 04:29:29 PM

i dont think i have seen a team play backs and forwards at half time in my life....surely they would only be doing some light kick passing/ shooting

AZOffaly

I thought this was in the run up to games, not at half time in the games?

Celt_Man

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 23, 2010, 02:07:30 PM
I thought this was in the run up to games, not at half time in the games?

yea you're right... kinda two separate discussions going on here side by side

Hound

What a load of nonsense spouted here.

Some people really go out of their way to get annoyed, particularly if they can get a dig at those evil foreign sports.

For crying out loud these 4 counties are getting the privlege of playing mickey mouse games in Croke Park. Great for the players of these counties. Let them play and enjoy and quit the feckin whingeing.

Lets see how many of their fans turn up.