ARK - Acts of Random Kindness

Started by The Iceman, April 20, 2010, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

I think its a fantastic idea and hope it spreads around the world.

http://www.arkhq.com/

Take a look and see what yous think.  It was started by a lad in Belfast.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Aerlik

There are several million Australians thinking that the following was just such an act.  Carl Williams and his like will not be missed.

...ok just for you puck ;)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/7082675/opi-to-oversee-williams-investigation/
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Puckoon

Aerlik - that doesnt appear to be even remotely related to the orignial post/thread/ethos of the ARK organization. You really should delete that post or start a thread for it yourself.

Iceman - that clothing line looks like decent gear if a little granola. I like the idea though.

AZOffaly

Sorry, I'm missing something. Is this some lad selling t-shirts etc, and badging it up with 'when you wear one, commit one random act of kindness'?

Seriously, I don't get it? Is the money for the shirts going to charity, or is your first act of kindness giving him 20 euro?

Sorry if I'm missing something here.

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2010, 04:38:34 PM
Sorry, I'm missing something. Is this some lad selling t-shirts etc, and badging it up with 'when you wear one, commit one random act of kindness'?

Seriously, I don't get it? Is the money for the shirts going to charity, or is your first act of kindness giving him 20 euro?

That's what I immediately though. A marketing campaign.
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

The profits go to charity or at least a portion of it.

I like the concept and that was the only reason I posted it.  If it inspires people to be better......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

The lad who started it in 2008 is from Belfast and was 18 at the time.  I don't think he even thought it would grow this big.
He was just at the annual TED conference and was very well received there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on April 20, 2010, 04:42:19 PM

The profits go to charity or at least a portion of it.

I like the concept and that was the only reason I posted it.  If it inspires people to be better......

A noble sentiment, and one that I agree with and actually try to follow in my daily life. Although I have a different motto handed down by my parents, and probably grand parents. 'It's nice to be nice'. End of.

Let a car out at traffic lights. Smile at people. Hold doors open. Buy a homeless man a burger if you can. It costs very little.

This just looks a little opportunistic to me, but maybe I'm cynical. This line from their facebook page makes me a bit wary.

QuoteWe've also had the odd person comment that all this can be achieved without the clothing. We beg to differ. ArkĀ° without the shirt is like 'Movember' without the Moustache.

Me bollix. You don't have to pay money to grow a mustache. Unless you're Gary NEville.

The Iceman

I would agree AZ but I would also agree that the shirt can inspire people and make people ask questions.

Fair play I say.

ONeill

If any hoor came up to me on the street and offered to buy me a coffee I'd be a bit nervous.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

I asked a woman who was in front of my car in Liffey Valley car park the other evening if she wanted help parking her car as she had made 4 attempts and was seemingly unable to reverse park,she didn't accept my offer and told me to f**k off...
Thats the last time I'll ever try help someone with a random act of kindness
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 20, 2010, 05:41:50 PM
I asked a woman who was in front of my car in Liffey Valley car park the other evening if she wanted help parking her car as she had made 4 attempts and was seemingly unable to reverse park,she didn't accept my offer and told me to f**k off...
:D - some people have no manners!

The Iceman

A man holds a door open for a woman and she asks him with disgust "are you just holding that door because I'm a woman?"

"No" he says "because I'm a gentleman"

ziggysego

Must have been an Everton fan.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 20, 2010, 05:43:37 PM
:D - some people have no manners!

I also thought it be nice to inform her that her Nissan Micra wasn't the size of a bus and would fit very easily into the rather large parking space that she spent 10mins trying to reverse into..
Once again my act of kindness wasn't appreciated by her
You'll Never Walk Alone.