Sligo V Antrim Division 3 Final

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 20, 2010, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: ross4life on April 22, 2010, 01:07:40 AM
Ok i remember a late score to secure the win, where was last years game played & when was the last time Antrim played in Croke Park?

August 2nd 2008, Tommy Murphy Cup Final

Antrim 3-12 Wicklow 1-15 ;D
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

sprinter

It is this neandertal club attitude that has gotten Sligo AND Antrim absolutely nowhere over the decades, both counties have massively underachieved and this sort of shite is a part of the reason why.

A fact Sligo have overachieved over the last ten years largely due to the impact of Eamonn o Hara ---- beat Thir Eoghain by himself and then that goal against Galway in the Connaught final, a you could go on for ever.....   

He has raised exExpectation within the county brought a level of professionalism to the county side and demanded high standards. I will make one prediction here O Hara will start against Mayo if he is fit because you can't replace class.. There at least three players on the Sligo team that will struggle on Saturday I won't name them because I am totally against singling out players for criticism. It's a disgrace o Hara isn't playing on Saturday and it will back fire on Sligo and Walsh mark my words. 

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on April 22, 2010, 09:13:02 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 21, 2010, 08:01:57 PM
How have i changed my tune? Elaborate please.
Before and after the recent U21 game you were on here criticising manager for not picking his strongest team and suggesting there were stronger players on the bench. The same situation is happening here. Eamon (34 not 35 btw) is a better player and more influential than most and you're endorsing the decision and even suggesting that he should be a sub against Mayo in the championship.

I know its not as important as u21 game but its a final and you need to field your strongest team.

I suppose yer wondering why Gerry McGowan isnt picked as he was yer main scorer last yr ::) O Haras days are numbered becuase his body will be way more fragile at his age not his ability, lets use him wisely and sparingly IMO.

No i wasn't wondering that. He was the main club scorer last year and for the last 15 years. He does take the frees though. He did his time with the county and probably was there a year or 2 too long. Whats your point?
Other 2 lads probably don't deserve to start. Kennedy too raw and not cynical enough to play corner back. Gaughan too inconsistent but can be excellent when on form.

I think your missing my point on O Hara, im not saying he is worse than any player on the panel, id agree with youse both that he is better than some on the 15, but my point is at his age he would not be able to sustain his level of performance for 70+ mins, I rather get 25/40 mins of O Hara at his best than 70+mins of average. I know he doesnt drink, looks after himself etc.. so we'd either start him and wait for the tank to run out of steam or bring him on to finish off a game, close it out or get us back into it. Look at the pyschology advantage we have there in a game if were struggling to hang on, or trying to get back into it, its a huge lift to see him come on, you dont get if he starts. It also gives someone else a start who can gain experience for the future.

My point on club thing, was you said you agreed with sprinter, and he wants gaughan and kennedy starting aswell which i think is unfair as both have been giving fair chances by management.

Quote from: sprinter on April 22, 2010, 10:22:14 AM

It is this neandertal club attitude that has gotten Sligo AND Antrim absolutely nowhere over the decades, both counties have massively underachieved and this sort of shite is a part of the reason why.

A fact Sligo have overachieved over the last ten years largely due to the impact of Eamonn o Hara ---- beat Thir Eoghain by himself and then that goal against Galway in the Connaught final, a you could go on for ever.....   

He has raised exExpectation within the county brought a level of professionalism to the county side and demanded high standards. I will make one prediction here O Hara will start against Mayo if he is fit because you can’t replace class.. There at least three players on the Sligo team that will struggle on Saturday I won’t name them because I am totally against singling out players for criticism. It’s a disgrace o Hara isn’t playing on Saturday and it will back fire on Sligo and Walsh mark my words. 

Sligo have not overachieved, EOH put in some huge performances, probably tyrone being the highlight especially 1st half, id say he was disillusioned with certain set ups and demanded more from players etc.. and id agree brought us to a new level of thinking. But he was part of teams that fcked up badly, u21 in 96, galway 2000, galway 2002, leitrim in 05, so what we won connacht in 2007, we should of won more IMO, Id be suprised if he started against mayo. I think if marrens fit he will start where Francis Quinn is against mayo and thatll be it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Jesus you Sligo lads wouldn't want to be following Roscommon when players get to about 29 here they gone & 7/8 changes on the line up every years makes our team the most unsettled team in Ireland

& i think you guys are forgetting the Target for the Season was "promotion" this final is just a nice extra bonus  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Isnt it great to see National Finals being played in HQ?
In my humble opinion ALL National Finals no matter what grade or how small the turn out should be played there.
Just think of it as the chance of a lifetime for many the ordinary player to tell his grandkids " I played in the Final in Croke Park"  judiciously leaving out the "Tommy Murphy" or "Junior club" or "NFL Div 4" bit.
I'll probably be going with  my season ticket to this one as I have some personal business in Meath on Saturday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on April 22, 2010, 10:48:53 PM
In my humble opinion ALL National Finals no matter what grade or how small the turn out should be played there.
Just think of it as the chance of a lifetime for many the ordinary player to tell his grandkids " I played in the Final in Croke Park"  judiciously leaving out the "Tommy Murphy" or "Junior club" or "NFL Div 4" bit.
I'll probably be going with  my season ticket to this one as I have some personal business in Meath on Saturday.

Sorry to say my understanding is your season ticket wont be much good to you. Check it out though for confirmation.

Milltown Row2

my prediction for Sat night.

Antrim 1-12 Sligo 1-10

will miss the match. At a pre-arranged thingy (piss up, house party) but will force the friends to watch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2010, 11:13:42 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 22, 2010, 11:05:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 22, 2010, 10:48:53 PM

Sorry to say my understanding is your season ticket wont be much good to you. Check it out though for confirmation.
All GAA Football Season Ticket holders are invited to attend this weekend's Allianz GAA Football League Finals - Divisions 1,2, 3 & 4 in Croke Park - free of charge!

Saturday 24th April: Division 4 Final- Waterford v Limerick 5pm and Division 3- Antrim v Sligo 7pm. Stiles open from 3.30pm, all Season Ticket Holders please go to Stile F8 at Hogan Stand. (Lower Hogan only open; seats allocated as you pass through the stile )

Sunday 25th April: Division 2 Final- Armagh v Down 2pm and Division 1 Final- Cork v Mayo 4pm. Stiles open at 12.30pm. Reminder to Season Ticket holders from the competing counties  to go to Stile C1 at the back of the Cusack Stand to gain entry. Competing county Season Ticket holders will be seated in 305.

Season Ticket holders from all other counties should go to Stile C2 and you will be allocated your seat number as you pass through the Stile - first come, first served.

Hope to see you this weekend!

Le meas,

GAA Ticket Office

Thats new as they said differently earlier in the week, i seen it on a GAA website. Glad all the same, good man HS.

Mano

Before and after the recent U21 game you were on here criticising manager for not picking his strongest team and suggesting there were stronger players on the bench. The same situation is happening here. Eamon (34 not 35 btw) is a better player and more influential than most and you're endorsing the decision and even suggesting that he should be a sub against Mayo in the championship.

I know its not as important as u21 game but its a final and you need to field your strongest team.

I suppose yer wondering why Gerry McGowan isnt picked as he was yer main scorer last yr ::) O Haras days are numbered becuase his body will be way more fragile at his age not his ability, lets use him wisely and sparingly IMO.

No i wasn't wondering that. He was the main club scorer last year and for the last 15 years. He does take the frees though. He did his time with the county and probably was there a year or 2 too long. Whats your point?
Other 2 lads probably don't deserve to start. Kennedy too raw and not cynical enough to play corner back. Gaughan too inconsistent but can be excellent when on form.

I respect your opinion but i don't agree with it. Imagine the boost the Mayo players would get if Eamon is not on the starting 15. Eamon will be starting in the first round of the championship - if he doesn't i can't see any chance of Sligo beating Mayo.

drici

Here Mano, are you anything to Mano from Turf Lodge?

Mano

Quote from: drici on April 23, 2010, 11:10:59 AM
Here Mano, are you anything to Mano from Turf Lodge?

Different Mano Drici

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on April 23, 2010, 11:09:01 AM

I respect your opinion but i don't agree with it. Imagine the boost the Mayo players would get if Eamon is not on the starting 15. Eamon will be starting in the first round of the championship - if he doesn't i can't see any chance of Sligo beating Mayo.
Jees mano im not sure about that, if the management start EOH i would be suprised, but I wouldnt be complaining either as if they feel he can give the full 70 no problem lets roll with it. Im just not as sure EOH is as important as that to us in these days. In my mind we have to start with costello, brehony, marren, mcgee, sweeney, kelly to have any chance. Actually heres aquestion where would you start EOH mano? Anyway we will be alot wiser about the team after sat, as imo Fermanagh and roscommon are so bad you couldnt rate us on them games. Cavan game was our best performance of the league by a mile imo and we were without EOH and marren.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 23, 2010, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Mano on April 23, 2010, 11:09:01 AM

Jees mano im not sure about that, if the management start EOH i would be suprised, but I wouldnt be complaining either as if they feel he can give the full 70 no problem lets roll with it. Im just not as sure EOH is as important as that to us in these days. In my mind we have to start with costello, brehony, marren, mcgee, sweeney, kelly to have any chance. Actually heres aquestion where would you start EOH mano? Anyway we will be alot wiser about the team after sat, as imo Fermanagh and roscommon are so bad you couldnt rate us on them games. Cavan game was our best performance of the league by a mile imo and we were without EOH and marren.

Playing 3 physically small forwards (Kelly, Marren, McGee) may work in the league where teams are not as sharp as in the Summer. Last time we played Mayo J Davey, Gaughan and Kelly were in our forward line and the first 2 were swatted aside by their markers. Mayo's weakness is in their full back line which was exposed by Meath last year. Put Eamon in corner forward and pump some ball into him and Sweeney. Then bring him out to the middle every so often to help out there as McGarrity and the Bellaghy man would be better fielders than our pairing.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim:

1.  J Finucane (Lamh Dhearg)

2.  C Brady (St Galls)
3.  A McClean (St Galls)
4.  K O'Boyle (Cargin)

5.  T Scullion (Cargin)
6.  J Crozier (Cargin)
7.  S Kelly (St Galls)

8.  B Herron (Lamh Dhearg)
9.  M McCann (Cargin)

10.  T O'Neill (St Galls)
11.  CJ McGourty (St Galls)
12.  J Loughrey (St Brigids)

13.  P Cunningham (Lamh Dhearg)
14.  M Magill (Randalstown)
15.  T McCann (Cargin)

CJ to top of left, T McCann to left half and Loughrey to 11??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ross4life

Where Antrim playing all those St Galls in the league or did they just return since they won the All Ireland?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open