My son wants to play rugby, what to do?

Started by mayo1955, April 20, 2010, 10:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo1955

I have been a long time reading here here but this is my first post.

My son is 17 and had been playing football since we enrolled him at five years of age.  But lately he has signalled intentions to give up football and to play rugby.  To be honest, its a terrible dissapointment to myself and my wife.  We great followers of the sport, and don't think that the values in instills, is something that you cant get from Rugby or soccer.

Talking to him, he has been saying that GAA just isn't "sexy", that its a sport in decline. A lot of it is probably due to the recent successes of the Irish Rugby team, and the profile it has achieved.

He keeps on saying that GAA is a sport for "hicks" and "muck savages" this to us is upsetting, as football and hurling are our national sports and is forms a significant cultural basis for the Irish state.

Another factor i feel is playing a part in this shift, is some teenage romance that ended wrong, where a girl he was into left him for a lad who played rugby.I think that his confidence has been knocked and want to have the build large chest and arms of a rugby player

Has anyone experience this?  Any advice would be much appreciated

Zulu

small white mayoman

let him tear away at the rugby, he is dead right gaelic is for hicks and muck savages . He can't have been too dedicated to the gaa if he had a girlfriend
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

drici

IRELAND: F. McConnell (Tyrone); J. Kenny (Offaly), D. Fay (Meath), S.M. Lockhart (Derry); F. Cullen (Offaly), J. Nallen (Mayo), K. McGeeney (Armagh); J. McDermott (Meath, capt.), A. Tohill (Derry); J. Fallon (Mayo), C. McManaman (Mayo), B. Stynes (Dublin); B. Devenney (Donegal), D. McCabe (Cavan), P. Canavan (Tyrone). Inter-change players: P. Brewster (Fermanagh), S. Moynihan (Kerry), G. Ryan (Kildare), D. Foley (Tipperary), S. Og de Paor (Galway), M. Donnellan (Galway), D. Marsden (Armagh), K. O'Brien (Wicklow).

Jinxy

They just don't make wums like they used to.
You could have got at least 4 posts out of that and you wasted it all in one go and blew your cover.
For shame.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

small white mayoman

Quote from: Jinxy on April 20, 2010, 11:06:16 AM
They just don't make wums like they used to.
You could have got at least 4 posts out of that and you wasted it all in one go and blew your cover.
For shame.

:D :D it was embarrassing there is no way that he is from mayo

Zapatista

Move to Tyrone. Football is sexy in Tyrone. The women just love footballers, someting I found out after I had quit the game (stupid footballers taking all the wemen >:(). There is a danger that he could take a fancy to sheep... shearing eventually if he continues to stay in Mayo.

SLIGONIAN

He blew his cover with his username, shouldnt it be Mayo1951 not 1955? :D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mattockranger

Bring him to the new Deluxe aviva Sadium.....then give him a good kick in the hole and and a dart ticket north to see the a real top class stadium built by muck savages....haha
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: mattockranger on April 20, 2010, 01:08:09 PM
Bring him to the new Deluxe aviva Sadium.....then give him a good kick in the hole and and a dart ticket north to see the a real top class stadium built by muck savages....haha

Bedpan:

Aviva Stadium:
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

longrunsthefox

Hound

From the outside Croker is a lot uglier than new Lansdowne. But like most things, its the inside that counts!

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2010, 02:46:20 PM
From the outside Croker is a lot uglier than new Lansdowne. But like most things, its the inside that counts!

Shite inside as well. The bars at the top block the view of those at the very top deck of the stand. Awful design. Looks like a jacks.

southsidejohnny

Mayo55, it the likes of you that gives the good people of Mayo a bad name. If your son wants to play rugby...let him. We are not interested. If he was any good you would not be on this site, the local butcher , baker, property magnate or local gombeen would have been down to your house pleading with you to keep him at the GAA. If they havent, then your son is a waster and no loss to the gaelic.

small white mayoman

Quote from: southsidejohnny on April 20, 2010, 04:55:00 PM
Mayo55, it the likes of you that gives the good people of Mayo a bad name. If your son wants to play rugby...let him. We are not interested. If he was any good you would not be on this site, the local butcher , baker, property magnate or local gombeen would have been down to your house pleading with you to keep him at the GAA. If they havent, then your son is a waster and no loss to the gaelic.

i think the local gombeen was actually the property magnate in most towns