The Battle for Fermanagh and South Tyrone

Started by Ulick, April 19, 2010, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Disillusioned on May 07, 2010, 11:51:04 PM
No one can live in N.Ireland can claim to be unaffected by sectarianism.  In mentioning the religion of the politicians and voters I was referring to the previous posts.

What do you mean by unaffected?

Do you mean it like the same way we are affected by the weather?

Zapatista

Quote from: hardstation on May 07, 2010, 11:59:55 PM

This pact stuff is lazy, gutless bullshit. Having a pact with fcukers who you can't stand the sight of just to keep 'them cnuts' out.
Democracy my hole.

+1

I said from the start it was the wrong thing to do. Not that I thought she'd win though more that I thought Republican politics will win eventually and feck the seat for now.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on May 07, 2010, 11:59:55 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 07, 2010, 11:42:45 PM
A lot of being in denial in this thread: whilst Britain maintains a presence in Ireland there will always be a sectarian edge to any election: it's the unavoidable consequence of a (continued) presence that was established and predicated on a sectarian headcount. It's that simple, get over it.
Although putting pressure on another party to pull the plug so that 'our side' get in is wrong imo. It's this type of shite that the CRM stood up against all those years ago. Have the nads to stand on your own feet, work hard to get the people to vote for you. Sinn Fein did this in FST and it worked. Fair fcuks to Gildernew and Sinn Fein. It was a tremendous result.

This pact stuff is lazy, gutless bullshit. Having a pact with fcukers who you can't stand the sight of just to keep 'them cnuts' out.
Democracy my hole.

I'm not in agreement with that, simply stating that this is what it inevitably descends into when the whole foundation of a statelet is based on sectarian numbers: those in whose favour it was initially established will always be fearful for the preponderance of their numbers. That's unavoidable, and remember that the unionists triggered the whole fcukfest for themselves in F & ST with their 'Unity' candidate.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2010, 12:16:44 AM
The "Well, if they're doing it, we're doing it" argument. Nonsense.

Where did I say that? You can leave the words out of my mouth, thanks anyway, not.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Zapatista

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2010, 12:16:44 AM
The "Well, if they're doing it, we're doing it" argument. Nonsense.

There was to be no gain and no loss from the proposed pact. The only positive was that they would both secure seats. It would have been of benefit to SF and the SDLP as they would have been guarenteed to retain seats they already held and which they did hold. It was far from nonsense but it was still the wrong decision.

saffron sam2

I'm looking forward to my day out at Fruithill Lawn Tennis & Bowling Club.

I reckon hardstation will take him.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'll take the two of ye soft Antrim feckers in my bare feet, no problem at all.

Pangurban

If its a battle of wits, you will win hands down Hardy

Zapatista

Quote from: Pangurban on May 08, 2010, 12:40:10 AM

So long as that doesn't leave his head near Fears bare feet.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2010, 12:43:58 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 08, 2010, 12:37:01 AM
I'll take the two of ye soft Antrim feckers in my bare feet, no problem at all.
I'm more intersted in Antrim winning on the pitch to be honest but if you are going to go all Green Street on me, 1400 at North Link park. I suppose you'll form a pact with a load of Derry hoors and we'll be out numbered. We have "Something inside so strong" so we do.

I see, 'tis a bit of soccer hooliganism you're after -- no can do. A mucksavage rake-about in the Fruithill car-park is more my style, or nothing at all. I'm particular about my rumbles.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on May 08, 2010, 12:44:24 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on May 08, 2010, 12:40:10 AM

So long as that doesn't leave his head near Fears bare feet.

Now you're talking Zap, I could be positively lethal on the day!  :D

Aerlik

Lads, don't soften up Hardstation too much...after all there is his ma to contend with  (eeek)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ONeill

Getting serious again, I'd agree with Hardstation.  I recall talking to a Shinner a couple of years ago regarding a pact and he claimed it wasn't something they'd consider such was the SDLP collapse and the strength of Sinn Fein itself. They had no interest in the state of the SDLP. To me that was a good argument.

I know the landscape changed regarding the Unionist bedding iniative during this election and it made electoral sense to counter this, but there was a sense of compromising what you stand for (in S Belfast particularly) for the sake of painting another area some shade of green. Surely there were some miffed SF supporters in S Belfast. What was the point in gradually building sound foundation in that area, and then opt out and tell their supporters to stick an X beside the odious McDonnell?

Michelle's victory (albeit helped by the SDLP's decision not to play ball) was much more satisfying in terms of standing for what you represent, although I understand the hypocrisy there in that she wouldn't have won only for the bad feeling towards the SDLP.

It has worked out well for SF but I think they've pulled the SDLP's knickers down knowing how it'd hopefully pan out.

Would Hume have made a pact?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something