Ulster championsip 1st... Donegal v Down

Started by done and dusted, April 17, 2010, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down South

I suppose after the fantastic start to the Ulster chapmionship it could only really go downhill fromm there.  ::) Donegal by 2.

Donegal Danny

Word is that the following is going to be the Donegal team on Sunday.

Durcan, Lacey, Mc Gee, P Mc Grath, A Thompson, B Monaghan, K Cassidy, R Kavanagh, N Gallagher,B Dunnion, C Toye, D Walsh,C Dunne, M Murphy, D Molloy.

Big calls with young Molloy and Mc Grath starting from the U 21s. Dunnion will probably drop deep with Dunne coming out the field a bit.Personally don't think B Monaghan is up to it, i would have E Mc Gee instead. No place for Frank Mc Glynn but i might be wrong so we will have to wait and see. Donegal will win mark my words. This Down team are frauds.

J70

Colm Anthony is going to be dropped?!! :o First time in six or seven years he won't be an automatic selection when available!

Fair fucks to John Joe for giving Molloy and McGrath a run if this is true (I'm not convinced it is!!). We need some competition for places. I hope they're up to the quick transition from U-21s. And I take it McGrath has fully recovered from the jaw injury?

While I share Donegal Danny's skepticism about Down, I am equally skeptical about our boys! I do think we can win this though. Won't be much in it either way.

J70

Quote from: bennydorano on May 26, 2010, 09:30:22 PM
I would still maintain that Down were basically Championship fit throughout the league and their league form could give a slightly false impression of where they are really at.  There is a lot of talent in the forward line and with a decent MF and it could be enough to get past Donegal, but who could predict what Donegal could do with any confidence?? 

Even without injuries Down's defence is still ropey, and for the 100th time - I really dont rate James Colgan, an unbelievably weak link.  It'll probably be horrible stuff again this weekend, with Down's injury worries in defence they'll have to play at least 1 sweeper if not 2.

Its a few years now since we met, but Donegal v Down games have tended to be decent, open games. I'd be optimistic enough, as long as it doesn't get bogged down in endless frees and turnover of possession for hand-pass fouls. But if both sides fall back to counter Coulter and Murphy, it could be grim enough.

Wee Shea

I would still maintain that Down were basically Championship fit throughout the league and their league form could give a slightly false impression of where they are really at.  There is a lot of talent in the forward line and with a decent MF and it could be enough to get past Donegal, but who could predict what Donegal could do with any confidence?? 

Even without injuries Down's defence is still ropey, and for the 100th time - I really dont rate James Colgan, an unbelievably weak link.  It'll probably be horrible stuff again this weekend, with Down's injury worries in defence they'll have to play at least 1 sweeper if not 2.

I was never a big fan of Colgan myself, having seen him play well underage and for UUJ then never bringing it to the county. This year in the league was a different matter, he relished his new role playing sweeper in the couple of games I saw him play. All his match reports were positive as well, as much as I was hoping they wouldn't they seem to have sorted their No. 6 for the foreseeabel future.

mountainboii

Quote from: Wee Shea on May 27, 2010, 10:02:25 AM

I was never a big fan of Colgan myself, having seen him play well underage and for UUJ then never bringing it to the county. This year in the league was a different matter, he relished his new role playing sweeper in the couple of games I saw him play. All his match reports were positive as well, as much as I was hoping they wouldn't they seem to have sorted their No. 6 for the foreseeabel future.

Aye rite  :-X

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Wee Shea on May 27, 2010, 10:02:25 AM

Bennydorano, just because you've said it 100 times doesn't make it right.James Colgan had an oustanding league campaign despite it being his first.Playing in his natural position, he has brought a calmness and assurance to the HB line.He's a natural leader and clearly a future captain. He's a good lad and Down people are 100% behind him.The only horrible stuff we were involved in this year was the league final.

bennydorano

His natural position?  Sweeping with no marking responsibilities, nice work if you can get it. 

I've watched thon fella from McRory, through Sigerson (when he could get a game) to Senior.  I dont rate him, you could count the number of kick passes he makes on one hand, he's a master of the 3 yard fist pass thou.

Why would you see him as a future captain - because he talks shite during games??  There's more to leadership than that, especially when people see through you.

Farrandeelin

I thought all ye Ulster boys were all talk on this thing! This thread started BEFORE the Mayo Sligo one and less pages! :o Or else we talk too much in Mayo!  :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dubh driocht

I've also watched him through the competitions you mentioned so we all can have different opinions.You did however miss out on one competition-when he captained Down minors to an All-Ireland win. Unlike yourself of course, I wouldn't know what he talks during games but I saw enough in 7 league games this year to know he is a commanding centre half back.
As for the game, I'm pleased there hasn't been too much talk or leaks of the team but looking forward to an open and hard encounter.Dodgy Umpire's preview is pretty good but even though the rumours are strong I would be surprised to see Dan at FB.Kearney or Mc Ardle are more likely to mark Murphy and that encounter will probably determine the outcome.

Mourne Rover

Benydorano, if you had referred to a 30 yard, rather than a three yard, hand pass, it might have indicated that you had seen James Colgan fairly regularly. It is one of his great assets, and he is fully entitled to use it instead of a riskier thump up the field.

In terms of his leadership, he captained a tiny school to its first MacRory Cup final, which it lost after a replay, and also lifted  AI minor and Ulster u21 cups, so he's not doing too badly there either.

He has his strengths and weaknesses, like most other players, but he did consistently well against some decent teams in the NFL D2. He has only started a single USC match in his career, so it might be an idea to judge him at the end of his first proper season at senior level.

Down South

Quote from: southdown on May 26, 2010, 01:52:58 PM
Hughes never plays 2 good games in a row, he had a stinker in Croke Park.

He is having another stinker today.
Down have to go 14 against 14, the Donegal free man is having an wasy day at the office.

Banana Man

Anybody hear what the weather prediction is for Sunday???

Donegal Danny

Two changes on the Donegal team i picked two days ago. Frank Mc Glynn in instead of Paddy Mc Grath and Michael Maguire in for A Thomson. Fair enough with Mc Glynn but don't rate Maguire, a club mate of John Joe's. Still no place for Colm Mc Fadden.

RMDrive

Quote from: Donegal Danny on May 28, 2010, 09:41:12 AM
Two changes on the Donegal team i picked two days ago. Frank Mc Glynn in instead of Paddy Mc Grath and Michael Maguire in for A Thomson. Fair enough with Mc Glynn but don't rate Maguire, a club mate of John Joe's. Still no place for Colm Mc Fadden.

I'm happy enough with that team. I think that McGrath will feel unlucky but he's maybe a wee bit light yet to be going up against a strong FF line. Brick deserves his chance and Colm Anthony has done very little to suggest that he is more deserving of a place. I agree with you on Maguire though. A good enough footballer but hasn't really impressed me.

Really looking forward to this game now.