Ulster championsip 1st... Donegal v Down

Started by done and dusted, April 17, 2010, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: drici on April 23, 2010, 09:47:14 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 23, 2010, 03:20:34 AM

I'm not expecting much from the side this season and would consider it a great success if we made the 1/4 finals again!

Donegal v Down is a Quarter Final game.
Derry play Armagh in the Preliminary Round this year.

J70

Quote from: hardstation on April 24, 2010, 12:47:59 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 24, 2010, 12:43:36 AM
Quote from: drici on April 23, 2010, 09:47:14 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 23, 2010, 03:20:34 AM

I'm not expecting much from the side this season and would consider it a great success if we made the 1/4 finals again!

Donegal v Down is a Quarter Final game.
Derry play Armagh in the Preliminary Round this year.

No, he's right. Donegal are already in the Quarter Final.
;D

Donegal Danny

Think Donegal have a chance but you never know. Both Toye and Kavanagh are a help but both sent off on straight reds in recent club games and will now miss some much needed game time before the Down game. Not sure about Gallagher at Midfield, we played much better last year without him.Eamonn Mc Gee will help things and Michael Boyle should be in goals but our Manager will stick with Durcan who is simply hopeless, letting Stevie Mc Donnell jump against him and punch the ball into the net in Letterkenny was simply unforgivable for someone his height.
If Down are thinking about playing Dan Gordon at full back then they are worried about Murphy and must be going for a big man to compete against Murphy. The facts are that Tipp beat Down in Div 2 final last year and Wicklow put them out of the championship. I know they are improved under wee James but still not convinced and although i have no serious confidence in Donegal i think we have a 50/50 chance.

stew

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 22, 2010, 04:11:58 PM
Quote from: done and dusted on April 17, 2010, 11:33:26 PM
Don't fancy our chances here even though we're at home!!!!

I thought all the cute hoors were in the bottom left hand corner of the island...I see there's a few in the top left hand corner as well.....

I was thinking the same thing myself.

This game hinges on which Donegal shows up, if the apathetic, disinterested side shows up like they did against Armagh Down will hammer them, if it is a motivated Donegal bolstered by the return of some oldies but goodies they might make it interesting however I think Down are too good for Donegal and have them winning by four or more points.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Logan

I think Donegal will struggle with this one.
The fact Down lost yesterday should ensure an absence of over-confidence going to play Donegal, which might have been a danger I suspect.
Where is it?
If it's Donegal I'd shorten the odds slightly - but not much.

thejuice

Challenge game:
Meath Vs Down, Oldcastle, Monday, 3rd May (Bank Holiday), 4pm.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

Quote from: Logan on April 26, 2010, 07:17:36 PM
The fact Down lost yesterday should ensure an absence of over-confidence going to play Donegal, which might have been a danger I suspect.
Where is it?

Its in Ballybofey, but we've lost to Derry, Monaghan and Antrim there in the championship over the past two seasons (albeit by a single point in two of those - think the Derry was three).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Down would be going to any venue to play Donegal in an overconfident mood. They'll start favourites all right, but I just don't see what they've done to merit such talking up, especially as they seem to have been talked up for the past few seasons, only to fall flat, like Derry. I especially do not fear a hammering, although that is always an accepted possibility with Donegal!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on April 30, 2010, 03:18:20 AM
Where is it?

Its in Ballybofey, but we've lost to Derry, Monaghan and Antrim there in the championship over the past two seasons (albeit by a single point in two of those - think the Derry was three).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Down would be going to any venue to play Donegal in an overconfident mood. They'll start favourites all right, but I just don't see what they've done to merit such talking up, especially as they seem to have been talked up for the past few seasons, only to fall flat, like Derry. I especially do not fear a hammering, although that is always an accepted possibility with Donegal!

J70 they (Down fans) will have taken alot of confidence from a good league campaign, add to this their inherent cockiness and everyone ability to underestimate Donegal (including the team themselves!  ;)), Down will be favourites, but I believe that we can beat them, though I think it will be tight.
Tbc....

western exile

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 04, 2010, 11:01:17 AM
Where is it?

J70 they (Down fans) will have taken alot of confidence from a good league campaign, add to this their inherent cockiness and everyone ability to underestimate Donegal (including the team themselves!  ;)), Down will be favourites, but I believe that we can beat them, though I think it will be tight.
now, now,  J70  and Gaoth Dobhair Abu  ::)    That is just lazy analysis!
Paddy Power currently have  Down at evens and Donegal at 11/10.   Not much in it!
But even if Down are to be favorites, that does not automatically equate to Down being "overconfident"  ???
Not once has a Down poster seriously expressed on this thread that they will be overconfident.  You just made that up J70!   
But you are correct, Gaoth Dobhair Abu, Down fans will have taken a lot of confidence from a good league campaign. Nothing wrong with that, is there?  No need for the  "inherent cockiness" comment  :-\

There is just under 4 weeks until the game, so let us try to keep it real  ;)

stew

I would like to offer my support for Donegal in their upcoming Championship match with Down, the Downmen are fresh of a humiliating defeat at the hands of hated rivals Armagh at HQ and their are said to be depressed and pointing fingers at one another.

C'mon Donegal, ye can win this game.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: western exile on May 04, 2010, 02:22:23 PM
Where is it?

Paddy Power currently have  Down at evens and Donegal at 11/10.   Not much in it!
But even if Down are to be favorites, that does not automatically equate to Down being "overconfident"  ???
Not once has a Down poster seriously expressed on this thread that they will be overconfident.  You just made that up J70!   
But you are correct, Gaoth Dobhair Abu, Down fans will have taken a lot of confidence from a good league campaign. Nothing wrong with that, is there?  No need for the  "inherent cockiness" comment  :-\

The "inherent cockiness" is more a comment on their self appointed kings of Ulster title  ;). Anyway the in-laws are Down people and my head was tortured after the league game!!
I think Paddy Power is being generous to Donegal with those odds and its only at that price due to our being the home team. Imo Down 10/11, Donegal at least 2/1.

Tbc....

J70

Quote from: western exile on May 04, 2010, 02:22:23 PM
Where is it?

You included Logan's quote in your post. Perhaps you should read it again and then read my post... in context.

western exile

shaund10

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 06, 2010, 02:29:40 PM

The "inherent cockiness" is more a comment on their self appointed kings of Ulster title  ;). Anyway the in-laws are Down people and my head was tortured after the league game!!
I think Paddy Power is being generous to Donegal with those odds and its only at that price due to our being the home team. Imo Down 10/11, Donegal at least 2/1.

Can I have 5,000 on Down and 3,000 on Donegal then so please. Ill cover the draw with someone else