'There's no place for the Queen at Punchestown' - Kildare Sinn Féin

Started by Donnellys Hollow, April 16, 2010, 04:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

'There's no place for the Queen at Punchestown' - Kildare Sinn Fein

Published Date: 15 April 2010

By Lisa Deeney

It would be the end of Punchestown if the Queen was to visit, according to Kildare Sinn Fein Town Cllr Paddy Wright.
"There would be no relaxation at Punchestown. The security would be unbeliveable. The M15 and Irish security would take over. I do not see it as possible," he continued.

"Family, farming, racing and general people, it would be the end of their relaxation. They would be stopped and harassed for ID." Cllr Wright added that he has "nothing personal" against the queen or the Royal Family, but added, "her army is in our six counties don't forget."

Indeed the south Kildare Athy town councillor was involved in the protests against Princess Anne visiting Laois in the in early Sixties.

"We knocked trees everywhere in protest back then," he said. "This is not the Royal Ascot or Cheltenham, it's Punchestown. I could not support her precence over here. It's great to come as tourist but not as the head of the British State."

Cllr Wright was speaking following the news that Queen Elizabeth recently told Punchestown racing manager Dick O'Sullivan, via an aide, that she would love to attend next week's festival "but she can't because it clashes with her birthday".

However, offering an Irish solution to a peculiarly English problem, Mr O'Sullivan told the Leinster Leader this week that she should follow in the footsteps of her predecessor, Edward VIII, and attend the 11 Grade 1 race festival - and perhaps see her horse Barber Shop in the winners' enclosure.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/39There39s-no-place-for-the.6230536.jp
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Denn Forever

Would have no problem but know people who would.

And as the counciller said, I can't imagine it would be a very relaxed meeting for all concerned.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

pintsofguinness

Right, she can't come because of her birthday so it's really an non issue then.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dec

The Kentucky Derby survived her visit, I'm sure Punchestown would cope.

mylestheslasher

The man has a point. People go to the racing to relax and enjoy themselves - you won't do that with a crowd of suits with sunglasses walking around and popping up out of manholes. She can watch on tv if she wants. Another thing is while a lot of people might not care one way or the other if she comes here does anyone in the south really want or need her to visit?

Hardy

People, including hordes of Irish people, seem to be able to enjoy Ascot and Cheltenham without too much trouble when she's there. When I was at Cheltenham I was walking along with my nose in the racecard not looking where I was going when suddenly there was a big paw on my chest and a large plod said "watch out sir". I was just about to trip over the horsey-lookin wan - Anne Windsor.

Strangely enough I continued to enjoy the meeting after that and survived with only mild trauma and the occasional hysterical scream in my sleep. 

The Subbie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 16, 2010, 06:56:14 PM
The man has a point. People go to the racing to relax and enjoy themselves - you won't do that with a crowd of suits with sunglasses walking around and popping up out of manholes. She can watch on tv if she wants. Another thing is while a lot of people might not care one way or the other if she comes here does anyone in the south really want or need her to visit?

Barry Egan, Anguish fanning, Eoin Harris, Brendan O'Connor, Anne Harris, Kevin myres ................ feel free to add your own S**d*y I******de*t/west brit journo here

Tony Baloney

But that's not his real problem. Her soldiers are in the 6 counties is the real problem despite the window dressing.

The Subbie

Quote from: The Subbie on April 16, 2010, 09:01:01 PM

Barry Egan, Anguish fanning, Eoin Harris, Brendan O'Connor, Anne Harris, Kevin myres ................ feel free to add your own S**d*y I******de*t/west brit journo here

Ruth dudley edwards also

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on April 16, 2010, 08:07:51 PM
People, including hordes of Irish people, seem to be able to enjoy Ascot and Cheltenham without too much trouble when she's there. When I was at Cheltenham I was walking along with my nose in the racecard not looking where I was going when suddenly there was a big paw on my chest and a large plod said "watch out sir". I was just about to trip over the horsey-lookin wan - Anne Windsor.

Strangely enough I continued to enjoy the meeting after that and survived with only mild trauma and the occasional hysterical scream in my sleep.

Maybe Hardy, but I wouldn't like to be stopped in my country by a burly Secret agent from the UK telling me where I could go. I think we have had enough of that. Anyway, I'll ask again - why would anyone want her to appear?

Myles Na G.

'There's no place for the Queen at Punchestown'

There you have it, in 8 words, the reason why SF are a political irrelevance in the south. The place is on the brink of economic collapse, and they're making statements about whether Lizzie should have a day out at the races. And does anybody - other than a few wankers / dissidents - still believe that shite about the occupied 6 counties? Please. I mean.

eiled in the bushes

get some metal in your life

Ulick

Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 16, 2010, 09:36:41 PM

There you have it, in 8 words, the reason why SF are a political irrelevance in the south. The place is on the brink of economic collapse, and they're making statements about whether Lizzie should have a day out at the races. And does anybody - other than a few w**kers / dissidents - still believe that shite about the occupied 6 counties? Please. I mean.

Local councillor makes statement to local paper about local issue and makes national news - obviously not as irrelevant as you would like to believe.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Ulick on April 16, 2010, 11:23:20 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 16, 2010, 09:36:41 PM

There you have it, in 8 words, the reason why SF are a political irrelevance in the south. The place is on the brink of economic collapse, and they're making statements about whether Lizzie should have a day out at the races. And does anybody - other than a few w**kers / dissidents - still believe that shite about the occupied 6 counties? Please. I mean.

Local councillor makes statement to local paper about local issue and makes national news - obviously not as irrelevant as you would like to believe.
As in, local councillor makes statement to local paper...picked up by national press always on the look out for 'look what the culchies are coming up with now' angle. See what you mean.