How much do you pay for Sky?

Started by nrico2006, April 16, 2010, 10:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Just curious as to what kind of 'deals' people here have with Sky.  I used to have the full package a 2 years ago and was paying around £46 a month.  I rang them up to genuinely cancel my account and they were offering me my packagge for about £20 a month with a free Sky+ Box aswell.  I proceeded to cancel though.

I have moved into a new house since and for the past year have the basic Sky package for about £18 a month and have a Sky+ box.  I am looking to get HD but obviously I will receive limited channels due to my subscription, so I am going to ring them today and say that I am looking to cancel and feed them a story again.  I was just wondering what kind of good deals the ones here have got, if any?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

I would imagine they are well used to the line of, im going to cancel unless.......

They have a set amount of deals to give away every month and depending when you catch them you might be lucky and get 3months free sports/movies something like that, but they have clamped down alot on what they used to be prepared to give away.

tyrone girl

Ours at home is in round the £50 quid mark but i think thats cos our ones have espn or the man united channel or some crap along with everything else. Bfs package is £36 quid.
Only decent deal we got was getting the sky plus in free - which wasnt really a good deal anyway as it was free to all new customers. But when phoned up pretending to be my mother to get it for home they told me £165 quid for sky plus box including installation.  Said then couldnt afford it and wasnt good enough as we with them about 15 years, and wanted to cancel so they proceeded to give me it free and free installation.
Wonder is it worth ringing them though and saying might have to cancel the £50 quid package as its getting too much for us. See what they say

Overthebar!

we are paying £85 a month. thats sky hd, espn and internet. far too much but it's not in my name so I don't have any control over it. been at the fellas name its in to ring up and threaten to cancel so we get a better rate. no point paying for it with the soccer seasons over now anyway....

screenexile

I have been trying to sort ours out there and it's a hassle. We are currently paying about £60 a Month for all channels plus another Sky Box.

I rang them up to see if we could get a Sky+ Box and it's going to cost £165 (Plus £30 Installation) on its own without the HD Package or we can pay £30 installation and £10 a month for the HD subscription. They told me they are only installing the Sky+HD box from now on and that the white ones are being phased out.

We have had the full package for 10+ Years with no problems but yer man was not for budging. Where I'm at there are no other satellite/cable services so they know that I can't exactly ring up and cancel. Anyone know what the best plan of attack is? I think it's bad form that we get penalised for being a customer for 10 years and can't get a free Sky Plus box when Joe Bloggs can ring up off the street and get it for free!

tyrone girl

Exact same thing as us Screenexile. They were telling me they couldnt give us it at less than £165 and us with them 15 years. I rang the cancellations department- didnt say i was defo cancelling though - said i was seriosly considering it as i didnt see how anyone new joining could get something for free that us as good customers had to pay for. Said i was finding it hard to justify paying for the service if i had to pay £165 to get updated - so off she went to speak to her manager and within 3 mins had the whole thing for free. My sister then did the same. Dont worry about there being no other cable etc in ur area - for all they know u might not want it again. Would bet my life ul get it for free.
Also worth bearing in mind - when you get through to the sales team your man there told me that they cant budge in their department from what the prices are - he was nice and he was the one told me your best bet is go directly through to cancellations team.
Doesnt hurt to try - theres no onus on you then to cancel anything

flantheman82

We're currently paying roughly £100 a month which includes one sky+HD box and full subscription, an additional sky + box (multiroom), all packages except for espn in both, phone and broadband.
It is a bit expensive but we do make use of it. I've even talked the wife into moving the HD box into spare/games room and her taking the standard sky+ one for living room.

Shrek

if you dont get them to budge and end up cancelling you have a certain period where you cancel your cancellation - if that makes sense.  ???

tyrone girl

Flantheman - im taking it u mean then you have the sky plus box as an additional one - i was looking into multiroom for my bedroom cos can never watch what i want in our house - but would prefer sky plus rather than just the original box. Do you know how much that cost extra?

Bensars

If you actually go through and cancel, they will soon change their minds.

Most talk about it and threaten it and it doesnt wash anymore, as they hear it 100s of times a day. If you actually go straight to cancellations and appear as if your not for turning you will be classed completely differently.

Once i cancelled i was recieving calls  and getting letters left right and centre with offers to get me to come back.

Even if you cancel you can reactivate at the click of a switch very quickly. ( although i think you are regarded as an existing user for up to 1 year after ). I would be amazed if they didnt change their stance.

Im amazed they backed you into a corner Screen. Think now how all those sheep feel around the 'Screen ! ;)

Shrek

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 16, 2010, 12:07:06 PM
Flantheman - im taking it u mean then you have the sky plus box as an additional one - i was looking into multiroom for my bedroom cos can never watch what i want in our house - but would prefer sky plus rather than just the original box. Do you know how much that cost extra?

its an additional £10 for Multi-Room

tyrone girl

I know thought its an additional tenner for multiroom but i presumed this was with normal sky box . I want sky plus multiroom though - am wondering is that dearer - id imagine it is.

Shrek

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 16, 2010, 12:15:11 PM
I know thought its an additional tenner for multiroom but i presumed this was with normal sky box . I want sky plus multiroom though - am wondering is that dearer - id imagine it is.

nope, still just the tenner extra

tyrone girl

Great - thats the tenner extra every month tho - but what would i have to pay for the additional sky plus box

tyrone girl

Just checked their website - seems to be £199 for the sky plus box. Might have to give them a ring see what can do