national league or 21 allireland

Started by spuds, April 15, 2010, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whats the greater achievement

national league title
21 allireland
same difference

spuds

working with a ballbag rossie whos on and on about the ross 21s and it being greather achievement than league any opinions ? i think that proving at senior is the greater achievement
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

nrico2006

What Roscommon achievement?  Sorry, took me about ten minutes to take my eyes of your wee video there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Dougal

id far prefer an u21 all ireland than any league title other than a div 1,and if it was div1,id rate them about the same.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

INDIANA

Quote from: Dougal on April 15, 2010, 01:49:26 PM
id far prefer an u21 all ireland than any league title other than a div 1,and if it was div1,id rate them about the same.

No underage title supercedes a senior title. Because senior level is where its at.

Farrandeelin

Mayo only won a NFL and a U-21 title in my lifetime. I'd reckon both the same really. It's senior championship where it's at really Indiana.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

INDIANA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 15, 2010, 02:41:03 PM
Mayo only won a NFL and a U-21 title in my lifetime. I'd reckon both the same really. It's senior championship where it's at really Indiana.

I disagree. u21 is an indicator- nothing more. Senior inter county is 2 levels above u21 in terms of pace and physicality. u21 hasn't been much of an indicator for either of our counties. its an important grade- much more so then minor level don't get me wrong but after 15 years without a national title I'd love to be going to Croker to see dublin playing in the div1 final as oppose to an u21 final on May2 if we beat Roscommon. Which is a big if.

Teams that go well in the NFL usually do well in the championship. I think Mayo will show that this year.

nrico2006

Quote from: INDIANA on April 15, 2010, 01:51:06 PM
Quote from: Dougal on April 15, 2010, 01:49:26 PM

No underage title supercedes a senior title. Because senior level is where its at.

So the All Ireland Under-21 or Minor is not as much worth as the NFL Division 4 title?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on April 15, 2010, 02:58:50 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 15, 2010, 02:41:03 PM

Teams that go well in the NFL usually do well in the championship. I think Mayo will show that this year.

Not in connaught they don't!

We topped Div 1 table in 2000 beating Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh along the way but when it came to the championship Leitrim beat us in Hyde park

In 2001 Mayo Won the league But they lost to us in the Connaught final & Westmeath after that

2007 Sligo finished mid table in Div 4 but it didn't stop them winning Connaught title

no matter what grade it is at a ALL IRELAND is always better
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

longrunsthefox

I would go for the All Ireland U21 tho neither mean a lot if not brought onto senior championship success.   

ross4life

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 03:17:51 PM
I would go for the All Ireland U21 tho neither mean a lot if not brought onto senior championship success.

i think a lot get caught up in the Senior Success if these under aged players make it as top senior players it's a extra bonus but for your team to have the best 15 at under 18, under 21 or senior players in Ireland is all that matters surely?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

longrunsthefox

Fair point... is massive for the players themselve but supporters wonder why it didn't come through. But, yes to win an All Ireland minor or U21 medal is mighty and something to cherish. Minor seems to be much more prestigious.

ross4life

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 03:55:59 PM
Minor seems to be much more prestigious.

Yup agreed maybe because the Under 21 Championship has only been running since 1964 while the Minor one is going since 1929?

RMDrive

1. AI
2. NFL Div 1
3= U21 AI
3= NFL Div 2
5. Minor AI
6. NFL Div 3
7. NFL Div 4

longrunsthefox

aye... and is on the day of the senior All Ireland final as well.

AZOffaly

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 15, 2010, 03:55:59 PM
Fair point... is massive for the players themselve but supporters wonder why it didn't come through. But, yes to win an All Ireland minor or U21 medal is mighty and something to cherish. Minor seems to be much more prestigious.

Minor is also played as the curtain raiser to the Senior. Under 21s are much more likely to have Senior players on the team, so Minor gets more attention.

If the Under 21 got the same attention as the latter stages of the Minor it would be a more prominent competition. It's a better competition than Minor.