The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, April 14, 2010, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 07, 2010, 04:04:23 PM
No, they set out to defend, that game plan changed after the first goal.  The second half, neither side particularly impressed until the dutch scored their two goals.
Whether they impressed you or not after they had the wherewithall to score a credible equaliser,  they certainly went about their non-impressiveness on the offensive after they equalised and were not pegged back until the minutes before the Dutch scored their lead goal, under somewhat fortunate circumstances.

QuoteThey undoubtedly did well, but remarkable progress?  They drew with France (ranked above them) and beat Mexico (ranked 1 place below them), their other victories were against S Africa (67 places below them), South Korea (31 places below them) and Ghana (16 places below them)
This is the World Cup Finals, a team generally tops their group and gets through the last 16 and 1/4 final on merit and then get to the semi final on merit.
The merit of Uruguay's remarkable progress was evident in their performance of distinction in the semi final against Holland and they did it with a patched up team and a 1/2 injured Forlan. So all in all, Uruguay on merit deserved their place in the s/f, a truly remarkable effort for a small population.

Billys Boots

If Holland win, will they be the country with the smallest population to do so, since Uruguay?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 07, 2010, 04:59:24 PM
If Holland win, will they be the country with the smallest population to do so, since Uruguay?

Haven't checked but I'd say comfortably.  Pop of Holland about 16 mill??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Bogball XV

Quote from: Main Street on July 07, 2010, 04:52:42 PMThis is the World Cup Finals, a team generally tops their group and gets through the last 16 and 1/4 final on merit and then get to the semi final on merit.
Main Street, I'm agree with you that they're a good well organised side with a bit of class up front, but I think this is a bit controversial ;)

Will Hunting

I think we'll see a Spain victory tonight.

By and large, the success of Germany in their last two games has been based on the openness of the opposition's midfield. Spain are much better organised defensively, and the likes of Ozil will get bottled up by Alonso and Busquets. They will miss Mueller in this regard also. The like of Cacau for example just isn't in the same class.

When Germany have come up against reasonably well organised sides they have struggled - Serbia and Ghana. Despite playing quite well in these games - dominating possession, they weren't able to deploy their counter-attacking game, and couldn't display the potency that was key to the wins against England and Argentina.

Spain have stuttered their way to the semis, but they're there. And how many times have we seen teams struggle early in tournaments before sparking into life at the semis/final stage? Spain have yet to play really well, but i expect to see it tonight. They have the greater experience, and the belief from Euro 2008. It may not be enough just yet to carry them to the title, but it should take them to the final.

Quote from: Will Hunting on July 07, 2010, 05:38:57 PM

By and large, the success of Germany in their last two games has been based on the openness of the opposition's midfield. Spain are much better organised defensively, and the likes of Ozil will get bottled up by Alonso and Busquets. They will miss Mueller in this regard also. The like of Cacau for example just isn't in the same class.

When Germany have come up against reasonably well organised sides they have struggled - Serbia and Ghana. Despite playing quite well in these games - dominating possession, they weren't able to deploy their counter-attacking game, and couldn't display the potency that was key to the wins against England and Argentina.

Spain have stuttered their way to the semis, but they're there. And how many times have we seen teams struggle early in tournaments before sparking into life at the semis/final stage? Spain have yet to play really well, but i expect to see it tonight. They have the greater experience, and the belief from Euro 2008. It may not be enough just yet to carry them to the title, but it should take them to the final.

I take your point but against Serbia Podolski missed three great chances and a penalty and Khedira hit the bar all with 10 men.

Will Hunting

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 07, 2010, 05:46:42 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on July 07, 2010, 05:38:57 PM

I take your point but against Serbia Podolski missed three great chances and a penalty and Khedira hit the bar all with 10 men.

I agree with you there, and that's why i said they played quite well in that game. But the confidence wasn't there, and they looked nervous - because they weren't able to carry out their natural gameplan.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Thought the Bilbao lad would've gotten the nod, Llorente.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

For those that don't already know.. if Spain win tonight then we'll have new name in the list of World cup winners
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

supersarsfields

"there's someone who's been drinking on an empty head"

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 07, 2010, 07:35:43 PM
"there's someone who's been drinking on an empty head"

Who's that, Lawro??

supersarsfields

Yip commenting on the guy who ran on to the pitch. He's a gas man for the one liners!!

Notice the way the German captain is almost always referred to by his full name "Philip Lahm"

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?