The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, April 14, 2010, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Oh jaysus... that was no sending off for the Chile player... Torres made an unbelievable meal of it..
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

paco

Anyone watching the BBC coverage? They had a team of the group stage, they put Steven Gerrard in it! No place for Messi but Gerrard makes it, Harry Redknapp must be watching a different tournament.

Main Street

I think Chile are just made for Brazil. They just open up their game and  without any foreplay being needed, Brazil will set up the killer move.
And before Brazil will have had time to pull up their pants, Chile will give it away again, either through trying to dribble out of defense or the suicidal pass in dangerous territory.
Chile have some basic chronic defects.
Though there will be casualties :), Brazil should have the better of Chile.
Sanchez the young Chilean winger is superb and will torture the Brazil defenders. He is in line to be picked in the team of the tournament and I imagine the Udinese board of directors are popping the champagne as the transfer value goes skywards.  It was weird to see him taken off early against Spain but it was the first act of sensible caution by Chile all night, as the Swiss would have to score 2 to overtake them.

Bogball XV

Quote from: paco on June 26, 2010, 12:23:42 AM
Anyone watching the BBC coverage? They had a team of the group stage, they put Steven Gerrard in it! No place for Messi but Gerrard makes it, Harry Redknapp must be watching a different tournament.
Arry (the darling of the english media) said the other night that having watched both Ghana and Germany he was glad they'd got Germany as Ghana have more about them and would cause more problems for england?

I'd say he's not watching a different tournament, he's just not watching any tournament.

Main Street

On the replays of Spain's first goal, in the build up the ref was looking right at Torres getting clipped, I could have sworn I heard two shrills of a ref's whistle right after Torres went down as if dead.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Some goal from Suarez, this has been a decent game
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Capt Pat

Great goal by Suarez. Uruguay should be safe now.

Eastern_Pride

Disappointed South Korea lost I liked the look of them, Uruguay definite dark horses now if Forlan gets back to full fitness they will be intricately hard to beat. Perez is some man for the fouling though!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Main Street

Apart from one or two pieces of play, I thought Forlan was excellent in whatever he did. That cross from a free kick that landed on Suarez's head (sandwiched by 2 defenders), was something else. His corner kicks are top class, his movement, his ability to hold up the ball and just so unselfish in his overall play.
What a way to cap off your career with such displays for your country at the World Cup.

The South Americans could well have a maximum of 4 in the q/finals.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2010, 05:42:18 PM
Apart from one or two pieces of play, I thought Forlan was excellent in whatever he did. That cross from a free kick that landed on Suarez's head (sandwiched by 2 defenders), was something else. His corner kicks are top class, his movement, his ability to hold up the ball and just so unselfish in his overall play.
What a way to cap off your career with such displays for your country at the World Cup.

They could well have three semi-finalists.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Schkite on June 26, 2010, 07:50:24 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2010, 05:42:18 PM

They could well have three semi-finalists.
do you reckon the altitude has much to do with that? 

Main Street

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 26, 2010, 10:01:56 PM
Isn't it Bolivia who are the altitude team, that's how they qualified for a couple of world cups with useless teams.
The teams have all been in SA long enough to adjust to the altitude.
It's a combinaton of some European teams flopping, only Ghana from Africa  and clearly Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay are improved teams on a mission to peak at the Finals.

mountainboii

Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2010, 10:24:38 PM
Isn't it Bolivia who are the altitude team, that's how they qualified for a couple of world cups with useless teams.
It's a combinaton of some European teams flopping, only Ghana from Africa  and clearly Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay are improved teams on a mission to peak at the Finals.

And Ecuador.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2010, 10:24:38 PM
Granted, but they have vast experience of playing at altitude as several other south american countries play at altitude (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru on occasion), so they play quite a few games in those conditions, and know both how to play efficiently and how the ball might be affected.  Undoubtedly Uruguay and Chile are much improved teams, Brazil and Argentina we know all about and Paraguay whilst probably quarter finalists are not in the same class as the others.
See this article, it was talking about games which may be affected by climate and altitude, some very interesting and accurate predictions - England are fecked tomorrow according to the article, written pre world cup.
http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/the_cup_running_over/2010/06/how-playing-at-altitude-might-transform-the-world-cup.html