What's with the 'AP' in AP McCoy?

Started by deiseach, April 12, 2010, 01:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2010, 05:28:29 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on April 12, 2010, 04:56:43 PM
The smaller jockeys are more prevalent in flat racing. 

That's a model concise answer. You said in 9 words what it took me over 50 to attempt.

Meath bastard.
MWWSI 2017

The Worker

bcarrier

Fourteen races and no winners. Not the sort of statistic one normally associates with Tony McCoy.

Jump racing's top man has an unblemished record as champion jockey for 14 consecutive seasons during which he has won all the top races except one — the John Smith's Grand National which has its 163rd running at Aintree tomorrow.

He bids to put that right on the Jonjo O'Neill-trained Don't Push It and before that he will insist on his name on the racecard being AP McCoy — not Tony or Anthony.

Racing For Change, a group set up by the British Horse Racing Authority to give racing a PR makeover, have suggested that jockeys should have their full name beside their horse instead of initials as is currently the case.

And they aim to start this with the Grand National field.

For some reason RFC believe that this will help promote the sport among non-racing fans.

But McCoy is known in racing circles as 'AP' (Anthony Peadar) — and that's how he rightly wants it to remain on racecards.

He is not a man for gimmicks that will have little impact on the sport. And it certainly won't have any influence on the National which creates its own sporting dynamic without the need for additional nonsensical frills.

"My mother would probably like Anthony but I am known to all my colleagues as AP and that's how I want it to stay," said the man from Moneyglass in Co Antrim.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/racing/mccoy-set-to-push-for-national-glory-14761147.html#ixzz0l0PIGEdz

SambaSaffron

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 12, 2010, 06:13:02 PM
MV O'Brien
AP O'Brien
JS Bolger
DK Weld
MJ Kinane
WP Mullins

It's just one of those old racing traditions that the initials go in the racecard.

As regards him being too tall to be a jockey, you're better off on a NH horse in particular having a taller heavier jockey because he doesn't have to carry as much lead in the saddle which is just dead weight on the horses back. It's no wonder the flat lads have such a poor record in bumpers. Some of them would have upwards of three stone worth of lead in the saddle.

McCoy and Ruby are around the 5'10 mark I think. Andy McNamara who won the Irish National is 6'1.

Yeah but it's only AP that it's entered the vernacular. You never hear of WP Mullins except in the race card, it's Willie Mullins, Mick Kinnane, DErmot Weld etc...

deiseach

Quote from: bcarrier on April 12, 2010, 07:22:02 PM
Fourteen races and no winners. Not the sort of statistic one normally associates with Tony McCoy.

Jump racing's top man has an unblemished record as champion jockey for 14 consecutive seasons during which he has won all the top races except one — the John Smith's Grand National which has its 163rd running at Aintree tomorrow.

He bids to put that right on the Jonjo O'Neill-trained Don't Push It and before that he will insist on his name on the racecard being AP McCoy — not Tony or Anthony.

Racing For Change, a group set up by the British Horse Racing Authority to give racing a PR makeover, have suggested that jockeys should have their full name beside their horse instead of initials as is currently the case.

And they aim to start this with the Grand National field.

For some reason RFC believe that this will help promote the sport among non-racing fans.

But McCoy is known in racing circles as 'AP' (Anthony Peadar) — and that's how he rightly wants it to remain on racecards.

He is not a man for gimmicks that will have little impact on the sport. And it certainly won't have any influence on the National which creates its own sporting dynamic without the need for additional nonsensical frills.

"My mother would probably like Anthony but I am known to all my colleagues as AP and that's how I want it to stay," said the man from Moneyglass in Co Antrim.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/racing/mccoy-set-to-push-for-national-glory-14761147.html#ixzz0l0PIGEdz

That's the answer I was looking for. If that's the way he wants it, who are we to argue? Cheers

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2010, 08:58:29 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 12, 2010, 06:13:02 PM
MV O'Brien
AP O'Brien
JS Bolger
DK Weld
MJ Kinane
WP Mullins

It's just one of those old racing traditions that the initials go in the racecard.

As regards him being too tall to be a jockey, you're better off on a NH horse in particular having a taller heavier jockey because he doesn't have to carry as much lead in the saddle which is just dead weight on the horses back. It's no wonder the flat lads have such a poor record in bumpers. Some of them would have upwards of three stone worth of lead in the saddle.

McCoy and Ruby are around the 5'10 mark I think. Andy McNamara who won the Irish National is 6'1.

Yeah but it's only AP that it's entered the vernacular. You never hear of WP Mullins except in the race card, it's Willie Mullins, Mick Kinnane, DErmot Weld etc...

Dermot Weld is always known as DK up in these parts anyway. Mick Kinane was always Mickey Joe as well.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?