Ard Mhacha v An Dún - Cluiche Ceannais Rionn 2 - Pairc an Chrócaigh 25/4/10

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 11, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

Quote from: bennydorano on April 26, 2010, 10:40:40 AM
AK who I thought were all pretty poor, how AK stayed on the full game is a mystery

I thought he looked shattered in the second half. Was standing trying to catch his breath a couple of times, and was beaten for pace fairly easily on a few occasions. Not like him to be found wanting for fitness, I'd say he picked up some sort of knock. Should've been replaced.

mountainboii

Quote from: JimStynes on April 25, 2010, 11:17:39 PM
Henderson hasnt a chance of getting a sniff because everyone on the armagh team just looks for Stevie and when Stevie is on fire then i suppose you cant blame them. I just feel Henderson gets a bad press even though he is making good runs but he is always the second option when Stevie is playing. I thought he was doing rightly in the first half.

I think that's a fairly lame defence to be honest. While I didn't think Henderson was that bad yesterday, getting on the ball a fair few times in the first half, he wasn't great either. It's worth pointing out that he was being marked by Dan McCartan, who is an average to poor intercounty corner back. Armagh will face much more talented corner backs in the coming months, and if Ryan can't perform against the likes of McCartan then I don't hold out much hope for him later in the year. As he continues to put in more and more of these types of average performances, I find it increasingly difficult to be convinced that he is actually capable of any better.

haveaharp

Quote from: AFS on April 26, 2010, 11:02:36 AM
AK who I thought were all pretty poor, how AK stayed on the full game is a mystery

I thought he looked shattered in the second half. Was standing trying to catch his breath a couple of times, and was beaten for pace fairly easily on a few occasions. Not like him to be found wanting for fitness, I'd say he picked up some sort of knock. Should've been replaced.

Should be dropped more like.

goldenyears

MUCH has been made about the profile and regeneration of the Down and Armagh teams over the last few months. They're both young, ambitious and being constructed with an eye to the long-term future.

Yet for all the prosperity and youthful exuberance that exists between these rivals, it was the most experienced and decorated player on the field who ultimately separated them.

Steven McDonnell is simply too long winning big games for Armagh at Croke Park not to have a subtle feel for the place. He took the game by the horns right from the off, measuring the flight of James Lavery's free from the throwin to perfection, turning and arrowing over the opening point off his left foot just 13 seconds in.

This final was always mapped for McDonnell's instinctive predatory talents. He finished with six points, four of which had the hallmarks of some of his greatest days here.

Impressive

Down may have unveiled an impressive new defensive system during the group stages of the league that made them the meanest in all four divisions, but put them in Croke Park against a player of McDonnell's class and the true depth of their progress can be measured much more accurately.

In that respect, James McCartan will have to revisit the drawing board. How much their unfamiliarity as a team with Croke Park – by comparison to quite a few of the Armagh players – told is difficult to assess. But this was only their third senior match at headquarters since the 1994 All-Ireland final, all three ending in defeat.

Of course there was more to McDonnell that just sublime finishing. There was the constant threat he provided, the preoccupation the Down defenders had of his movements.

When Armagh were tearing themselves apart over a replacement for Peter McDonnell, Steven McDonnell who was one of those brave enough to make the leap of faith across the border into Down and support the case for Paddy O'Rourke. He played here as if he had part ownership of that decision.

As they stepped up the pace in the last quarter the impact of all three substitutes – Malachy Mackin, Stefan Forker and Jamie Clarke – was wholly evident. But it was McDonnell – nonplussed by the absence of his old sidekick Ronan Clarke once again after suffering a recurrence of his troublesome heel injury – who pulled all the strings.

"He's in better physical condition now and I must give that credit to Mike McGurn," acknowledged O'Rourke afterwards. "He's looked carefully at Stevie's training. He might not always be asked to do what a 20-year-old is doing but we tried to keep him fresh and get him ready for games."

McDonnell's class apart, it was an eminently enjoyable game, full of vigour and hard graft, great movement and scores with both sides excelling into the execution of the tackle.

By comparison to the showpiece Division 1 final it was much more intense. The law of the jungle applied throughout. A player who found himself in isolation was highly vulnerable. Space was at an absolute premium and the number of turnovers was consequently very high. In any audit the conclusion would have to be drawn that Armagh were more dominant physically.

"Some of our guys were getting personal attention they are going to get in the Ulster championship. They are going have to get used to it," admitted Down manager James McCartan afterwards.

"They didn't like it today, some of them, but if we are going to survive at this level we must get over that." It wasn't until that last quarter that it opened up in any way and Armagh found the openings. There were a couple of 'bottom lines' that applied to this final and they were weighted ever so slightly in Armagh's favour.

First was revenge. They had lost the group game in Newry quite easily (1-13 to 1-6) so their natural instinct would have to been to seek redress.

Second was the more recent historical element to it. Armagh have operated at a different level to Down for the last decade but their paths have rarely crossed. When they have, Armagh have had the edge. Thus they carry a superiority complex when it comes to Down football these days.

It was evident in the brisk start they made to this final, McDonnell's point quickly followed up by an Aaron Kernan free and a McDonnell '45 to frank their dominance. Gradually Down found a way into the game, adjusting to the settings of an environment they aren't used to.

Kaolan King had a decent spell at midfield, Martin Clarke linked the play well and kicked his frees even better and Daniel Hughes and Paul McCumiskey threatened without ever really penetrating.

Armagh's defence was resolute. Ciaran McKeever stepped back from the half-back line and played a sweeper's role effectively, Andy Mallon and the ever-improving Brendan Donaghy were on top of everything behind him.

Sublime

Still Down did manage to steal ahead as the break approached, Hughes landing an equaliser for 0-6 each before providing McCumiskey with the lead point on 32 minutes. But McDonnell wiped out the advantage in a sublime minute of extra-time action with two glorious points to send his side in 0-8 to 0-7 ahead.

For most of the second half, Armagh's movement and understanding just had more to it. McDonnell's fourth point from play on 43 minutes underlined that, with McKeever, Kieran Toner and Ryan Henderson stringing together the build up. Down's response was a goal out of nothing from Benny Coulter, who met the flight of a probing Clarke '45 with enough perfection and timing in the square to convince the umpires that it was legitimate.

But the advantage accrued from that, a 1-8 to 0-10 lead, was short-lived. Coulter would give them an advantage again later on with a point on 56 minutes but when McDonnell and Kernan exchanged to set up Stefan Forker for an impressive equaliser on 59 minutes they got a 'bounce' from it.

Mackin blazed through for two more points and earned a free for Kernan in a productive six minutes that had Down scrambling for a goal off a break from Dan Gordon. Their structure had disintegrated and to compound matters Daniel McCartan was red-carded at the end for an alleged stamp on Kernan.

SCORERS – Armagh: S McDonnell 0-6 (1f, 1 45), A Kernan 0-4 (4f), M Mackin, G Swift 0-2 each, S Forker, P Duffy, F Moriarty 0-1 each. Down: B Coulter 1-2, M Clarke 0-5 (5f), P Fitzpatrick, P McCumiskey, D Hughes, C Garvey, K King 0-1 each.

ARMAGH–P Hearty 6; A Mallon 7, B Donaghy 7, B Shannon 6; P Duffy 7, F Moriarty 7, C McKeever 8; J Lavery 6, K Toner 7; C Vernon 6, A Kernan 7, G Swift 7; B Mallon 5, R Henderson 5, S McDonnell 9. Subs: J Clarke 7 for Mallon (50), M Mackin 8 for Lavery (52), S Forker 7 for Henderson (56).

DOWN – B McVeigh 7; D McCartan 6, B McArdle 6, A Brannigan 6; K McKernan 6, J Colgan 6, C Garvey 7; P Fitzpatrick 6, K King 7;SKeraney5,MClarke7,DHughes7;PMcCumiskey6,JClarke 5, B Coulter 7. Subs: C McGinn 5 for Kearney, C Laverty 6 for J Clarke, D Gordon 5 for Fitzpatrick (47), R Murtagh for McCumiskey (65), K Duffin for McKernan (70).

REF – G O Conamha (Roscommon).

mountainboii

Quote from: haveaharp on April 26, 2010, 11:11:11 AM

Easy to make bold statements like that, but in the absence of a standout replacement he's still the best option we have. The only viable alternatives I seen mentioned for CHF are Vernon and Mallon, and I'd be very suprised if either brought much more to the position than Kernan. Mallon has played there numerous times over the last few years with limited success. And knowing Charlie's penchant for 30 metre solo runs, I reckon his switch to the centre would result in even slower and less accurate ball into the FF line.

Kernan was decent in the first half yesterday, following up two very good displays against Tipperary and Donegal. As I said, for me he didn't look 100% in the second half, which perhaps explains the dip in performance.

Ceart agus Cóir

Congratulations to Armagh, worthy winners on the day! With that said people seem to forget there was one kick between between them, and could have been different result!

I think both teams are on a similar level, and are sitting well for their Championship games! Down let themselves down in Croker yet again, but Wee James should still be commended-just didnt turn up on the day! Marty Clarke is the heart of that team, but i feel the slow build up kills his chances of playmaking!

Stevie McDonell seems to revel in Croker, joy to watch. 2/3 of Armagh scores in the league-unbelievable! With the exeption of frees, cant see where there gonna get scores! Clarke needs to get fit fast, because once McDonnell has an off day Armagh will lose!

All the best to both teams in Championship-hopefully get another go at Armagh with a worthy occasion in the Championship!

haveaharp

Quote from: AFS on April 26, 2010, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on April 26, 2010, 11:11:11 AM

Easy to make bold statements like that, but in the absence of a standout replacement he's still the best option we have. The only viable alternatives I seen mentioned for CHF are Vernon and Mallon, and I'd be very suprised if either brought much more to the position than Kernan. Mallon has played there numerous times over the last few years with limited success. And knowing Charlie's penchant for 30 metre solo runs, I reckon his switch to the centre would result in even slower and less accurate ball into the FF line.

Kernan was decent in the first half yesterday, following up two very good displays against Tipperary and Donegal. As I said, for me he didn't look 100% in the second half, which perhaps explains the dip in performance.

If you are talking about the ball being released into the FF quickly then Kernan is hardly the answer

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Man Marker on April 26, 2010, 11:54:53 AM
Where is Fearon?

Has he the vision to replace AK? :P

A nice day for me with my home county and adopted county top of the pops!  While the were a few very good performances from Armagh men, Swift, Moriarty and McDonnell being the pick with Andy Mallon getting a special mention for the last 10 minutes when I think he was immense, I thought the whole way Armagh went about things was the most impressive thing.  the style of football was good, the sharpness into tackles was fierce and there seems to be a coherence among the players that has been missing for a few seasons.  Obviously new voices bring new ideas but the biggest thing that stood out for me was the condition of the Armagh players.  They all seemed to be able to ship tacjkles and take hits pretty comfortably and also they could dole them out pretty well too!

A good pick up in prepartion for the Ulster Championship and if they were able to get over Derry there is an Ulster in this team.  This would be a fine achievement at this atge of the teams development and would be a very realistic target if they win the Derry match.

haveaharp

Quote from: AFS on April 26, 2010, 11:47:35 AM
Who is then?

My own preference would be Brian Mallon and if not him then Swift. I think you need a player there with some directness about them. Kernan holds on to the ball too long and allows defenders to funnell back. Id sooner see his brother playing there and thats saying something.

haveaharp

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 26, 2010, 12:05:04 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on April 26, 2010, 11:54:53 AM
Where is Fearon?

Has he the vision to replace AK? :P

A nice day for me with my home county and adopted county top of the pops!  While the were a few very good performances from Armagh men, Swift, Moriarty and McDonnell being the pick with Andy Mallon getting a special mention for the last 10 minutes when I think he was immense, I thought the whole way Armagh went about things was the most impressive thing.  the style of football was good, the sharpness into tackles was fierce and there seems to be a coherence among the players that has been missing for a few seasons.  Obviously new voices bring new ideas but the biggest thing that stood out for me was the condition of the Armagh players.  They all seemed to be able to ship tacjkles and take hits pretty comfortably and also they could dole them out pretty well too!

A good pick up in prepartion for the Ulster Championship and if they were able to get over Derry there is an Ulster in this team.  This would be a fine achievement at this atge of the teams development and would be a very realistic target if they win the Derry match.

Id agree with that. Derry will be the biggest challenge

Armaghgeddon

I would like to also say that O'rouke is making a fantastic impact on this team. He brought in some of the u-21 players just in time and the experience will hopefully spur them on.

maddog

Nice to get back on track yesterday. Stevie looked backed to his best, Nippy played well and looked comfortable in his position, Andy Mallon played well and i thought McKeever did rightly. Midfield i thought Down shaded it. Feeling positive about the summer nearly on us whether we take Derry or the scenic route. Next years league might throw up a great opportunity for a weekend away - Kerry or Cork away would be the one.
Mr O Leary, keep the flights at £3 a pop ya boy ya

mountainboii

Quote from: haveaharp on April 26, 2010, 12:18:04 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 26, 2010, 11:47:35 AM
Who is then?

My own preference would be Brian Mallon and if not him then Swift. I think you need a player there with some directness about them. Kernan holds on to the ball too long and allows defenders to funnell back. Id sooner see his brother playing there and thats saying something.

Fair enough, it seems you're not alone with this opinion. Though I'd wonder is this quick, direct ball a bit overrated. We've been using it for years and while it work back around 2002, success has dried up in recent times. Perhaps more measured, possession football is a better route to go down. It doesn't seem to have done us any harm so far this year, and McDonnell's form wouldn't suggest he has suffered through lack of ball. I'd be of the opinion that Kernan is playing an important role in this new system. In previous times the player in his position would have been under orders to release the ball into the FF line as quickly as possible, which resulted in a lot of shit 50/50 balls being thrown on top of Clarke in particular. Kernan seems to have more licence to take his time and make sure the ball is retained first and foremost, which allows the previously bypassed wing forwards and wing backs to join the attack.