Cluiche ceannais na sraithe: Corcaigh v Maigh Eo

Started by muppet, April 11, 2010, 04:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: magickingdom on April 25, 2010, 09:38:18 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2010, 08:42:23 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on April 25, 2010, 08:08:41 PM
anyone know what the attendance was today? there looked to be a good crowd there for the armagh/down but they all left for the cork/mayo game. the gaa have a mess on their hands if croke park is going to be empty for the nfl finals. looks awful. i was sad to see micko downplaying the league on the late late, its long overdue that the gaa took a leaf out of the irfus book and promoted the thing. had dublin made the final today there would have been some atmosphere there but thats not enough.

I don't get the IRFU reference.
What is it that they promote?

jinxy. if the irfu can get 20k+ into thomand pk for magners league games against the likes of  ospreys i think theres something to learn from them. 15 guys jumping on top of an oval shaped ball does nothing for me but it obviously works for a lot of people.

anyone got todays attendance?

If you leave aside the nature of the individual games, the Magners League is a success because it's a better product as a league. Each team plays twenty games - I think; I'm not from any of the three provinces myself - which makes it a proper league as there are enough games for the cream to rise to the top.

Seven games aren't really a league. Two bad results can make you lose all interest, while still leaving you safe from relegation. Kerry had a great league, for instance, even though they didn't contest the final. The League as it's currently set up isn't set up to encourage the best teams to get to the final, and the divisions are too small anyway. Armagh are Division 2 Champions but they would certainly beat Mayo today, from what I saw of both games.

If the GAA are going to promote the league they'll have to restructure it completely. And I don't think there's widespread support for that. We're annoyed this evening but by Wednesday no-one will give a toss about the League. And that's why this problem keeps cropping up.

AbbeySider

anyone know what the attendance was today? there looked to be a good crowd there for the armagh/down but they all left for the cork/mayo game. the gaa have a mess on their hands if croke park is going to be empty for the nfl finals. looks awful. i was sad to see micko downplaying the league on the late late, its long overdue that the gaa took a leaf out of the irfus book and promoted the thing. had dublin made the final today there would have been some atmosphere there but thats not enough.

jinxy. if the irfu can get 20k+ into thomand pk for magners league games against the likes of  ospreys i think theres something to learn from them. 15 guys jumping on top of an oval shaped ball does nothing for me but it obviously works for a lot of people.

27100 (or so it said on the big screen in Croker)
Ill post my slating opinion tomorrow.  ::)

rocco

Corks support in croker today was in the hundreds, so it was left to the 3 other teams to make up the numbers . i think the crowd today looked  bigger  than last year, but then last year you had cork &  kerry  with neither team big crowd pullers in the n f l . I didnt see the cork guy  with the big hat who loves hogging the limelight but then again this was only the N F L. He will be out for the summer.

SLIGONIAN

Was at the game today, and ive seen challenge matches with more intensity. The fear and anxiety shown today by mayo was ridiculous, only Kevin McLoughlin expressed himself in a positive way, and Conor Mortimer who i rate highly looked yere only threat from play for scores.

I dont think ive ever seen a set of supporters absolve a full back line of all blame whilst conceding 1-17, i think some of ye have pre conceived opinions on players and find it very hard to change yer minds. Like I was walking into the toilet and the usual conor mortimer comments among mayo fans, I asked one lad why do you think hes so bad, hes got yer main scores from play, the reply "hes a big head"..... he is yer best forward by a mile imo.

It will be a completely differnent mayo team against us, I count 7 problems for mayo after today that need sorting or even dropping, for whatever reason Croke park doesnt suit ye, but im sure in Markievicz ye will lift yereselves and have a better team and ye wont put in that type of performance against us for sure.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Lar Naparka

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 25, 2010, 10:58:39 PM

If you leave aside the nature of the individual games, the Magners League is a success because it's a better product as a league. Each team plays twenty games - I think; I'm not from any of the three provinces myself - which makes it a proper league as there are enough games for the cream to rise to the top.

Seven games aren't really a league. Two bad results can make you lose all interest, while still leaving you safe from relegation. Kerry had a great league, for instance, even though they didn't contest the final. The League as it's currently set up isn't set up to encourage the best teams to get to the final, and the divisions are too small anyway. Armagh are Division 2 Champions but they would certainly beat Mayo today, from what I saw of both games.

If the GAA are going to promote the league they'll have to restructure it completely. And I don't think there's widespread support for that. We're annoyed this evening but by Wednesday no-one will give a toss about the League. And that's why this problem keeps cropping up.
Maith thú, a Iolair, you're suckin' diesel here!
Apart from the obvious, there's another reason, IMO, why the NFL is not in the same league (geddit?) as the Magners or the Heineken leagues:
The rugby blazers, unlike the GAA suits, don't start mucking about with the rules on a 'Let's try this out and see how she goes" basis. I feel the NFL lost all credibility as a serious competition when it was decided to use retrospective trial by videos for some games but not for others.
I'd be quite happy if all games were subjected to post match scrutiny but what happened this year's competition led to some teams being deprived of the services of some of their players for upcoming games while others escaped equally deserved sanctions because of the absence of video recordings.
However, the league is over, for better or worse, and Cork won today on merit. Without doubt, they are short odds favourites to win the AI; it's theirs for the taking and if they happen to fall by the wayside, it will be their own fault.
Mayo learned a painful lesson today. They still have a long, long way to go before they become serious AI contenders.
However, they deserve credit for their league run; O'Mahony got as much out of his side as anyone could reasonably ask for. What they will take out of today's result and bring with them into the championships remains to be seen but one bad result won't turn a promising side into a bunch of no-hopers.
Mayo have come on a lot since the start of the year. There is no reason to feel they won't continue improving. But I'm more convinced than ever that our manager knows he has no hope of ever winning out until he has a team of his own making. Even then, the odds against him ever achieving this are intimidating.  Today for instance, I thought our half forward trio were going to be our bankers. Between the three of them they have clocked up more championships mileage than any other half forward line in the land. None of them were up to the task today and Cork built their success on the dominance of their half backs. You can throw in their midfield as well but so many attacks were set up from there that Mayo were struggling from the start. If you except Clarke and possibly Conoreen up front, Mayo will have to look to the younger lads to end the Long Wait.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

small white mayoman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 26, 2010, 02:18:23 AM
all games were subjected to post match scrutiny but what happened this year's competition led to some
Mayo have come on a lot since the start of the year. There is no reason to feel they won't continue improving. But I'm more convinced than ever that our manager knows he has no hope of ever winning [b]out until he has a team of his own making[/b]. Even then, the odds against him ever achieving this are intimidating.  Today for instance, I thought our half forward trio were going to be our bankers. Between the three of them they have clocked up more championships mileage than any other half forward line in the land. None of them were up to the task today and Cork built their success on the dominance of their half backs. You can throw in their midfield as well but so many attacks were set up from there that Mayo were struggling from the start. If you except Clarke and possibly Conoreen up front, Mayo will have to look to the younger lads to end the Long Wait.
surely at this stage Larnap this has to be HIS team if not how many more years before it is ?
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on April 25, 2010, 09:29:45 PM

. We also learned, what most of us knew, that McG + Parsons is not a credible partnership.
[/quote]

It would be a good name for a car dealership.

Farrandeelin

I think we are at the bottom of the rebuilding pile again. :( Only McLoughlin, Barrett and Conor Mortimer can take any credit for those on the field. Howley was atrocious, as was Parsons and Trevor Mortimer, Andy Moran never got into it either. Dillon not a centre-forward. Séamus O Shea didn't impose himself either. It was terrible yesterday. Another thing, why put on subs with a few minutes to go when the game was over Mr O'Mahony??? Surely Pat Harte could've been brought on with Kilcoyne and Parsons taken off to frig.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Losing that match is no harm to Mayo. It will keep excitement levels down running up to the Galway match and shows the management where work is needed. Cork may look good in April but who cares ? 

From the Mayo point of view I think something of far more concern is the Rossies coming up with this all-Ireland minor team. It is very like the British election with the rossies as the previously no hoper lib Dems and Mayo as the Tories with Galway as New labour.   

Tubberman

Awful stuff yesterday - you could sense it after our first attack that we weren't going to win that match. Players were panicking and clueless and hoofed the ball up in the air.
As has been said Howley is not good enough for CHB. I (and plenty of others) have been saying that since last year, hopefully Johnno will take action now.
McGarritty improved midfield when he came on, but Parsons should have been taken off or moved to CHF. When Seamie O'Shea was moved, he seemed lost and went out of the game.
Trevor was abysmal. He cannot kick the ball, which is shocking for a half-forward and captain. He was terrible in last year's league as well, but improved for the championship. He may improve again this year for a couple of games, but is not reliable and I think he should find himself on the bench.
But on the positives, Barrett was excellent again, and Kevin McLoughlin had his best game this year (possibly his best game yet for the seniors). We also have Keith Higgins and Varley to come back, and Kilkoyne with more match practice will improve things.
The main area of concern seems to have moved from FB to CHB. Keith Higgins is not the answer for that position - he doesn't have the presence or physicality for it. Tom Cunniffe is one option. Kieran Conroy is another. Could also bring Cafferkey out, and put Conroy in FB depending on the opposition full forward.

Just as an aside, there was one complete GOBSHITE sitting near me yesterday calling on O'Mahony to take off C Mort after 20 mins when a bad pass to Mort went out over the sideline. Then when Mort won a free and was lining up to take it (which he scored), yer man was roaring down not to let Mort take it. Thankfully Mort answered him by being our main (only) scoring threat. Some people just have pre-conceptions about players and are going to stick to them regardless of how the player is actually performing.     
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mannix

seen the second half and was set back a peg or two.Cork are good but not that good, Mayo froze from what I saw.
Still believe Mayo will win connaught but thats nothing to crow about, how many of those do we have.
I was hoping Mayo would win or lose by a point or two to keep it cool in Mayo, no fear now of losing the run of ourselves.Still not enough quality and too many lads freezing on the stage.

Logan

Mayo were shown up for the very standard they are at.
Year after year on this board or HS you hear how they expect to win the AI and the reality is they are no where near that level and get found out in Croker.
It was typical Mayo, fit and well prepared but no real footballing nous to counter Cork.
I will admit - it was a good Cork team, not your average league finalist, but it's still the standard Cork need to prepare for.
The Connacht championship is poor fair and a worry for Galway also. If there was an open draw in the Championship I doubt either would make it to the final 8 - and if one did, my money would be on Galway.
Most worryingly of all is that League performances in the qualifying stages are generally much weaker competitive games than championship games - apart from the finals - which are as close as you'll get to championship and Mayo failed at that stage.
Even with JK I don't think Galway will make a dent in the Championship of note and neither would get out of Ulster, Leinster or Munster, but because of the championship both might make it to qualifying stages as Leitrim haven't the numbers, Sligo may shock one of them but that'll be the sum total of the drama's there.
Someone above said it would be good for them as Mayo will go in under the radar for the Galway match ... I've heard it all now. Optimism know's no bounds.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Logan on April 26, 2010, 09:16:28 AM
Year after year on this board or HS you hear how they expect to win the AI and the reality is they are no where near that level and get found out in Croker.
It was typical Mayo, fit and well prepared but no real footballing nous to counter Cork.
I will admit - it was a good Cork team, not your average league finalist, but it's still the standard Cork need to prepare for.
The Connacht championship is poor fair and a worry for Galway also. If there was an open draw in the Championship I doubt either would make it to the final 8 - and if one did, my money would be on Galway.
Most worryingly of all is that League performances in the qualifying stages are generally much weaker competitive games than championship games - apart from the finals - which are as close as you'll get to championship and Mayo failed at that stage.
Even with JK I don't think Galway will make a dent in the Championship of note and neither would get out of Ulster, Leinster or Munster, but because of the championship both might make it to qualifying stages as Leitrim haven't the numbers, Sligo may shock one of them but that'll be the sum total of the drama's there.
Someone above said it would be good for them as Mayo will go in under the radar for the Galway match ... I've heard it all now. Optimism know's no bounds.

To be fair I can't recall any Mayo poster here claiming they will win the AI.

Tubberman

You never read that on this board. Yes, you'll read it on HS but if you take that as a realistic representation of a county's supporters, then the whole country is made up of schoolkids and imbeciles.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

HS....exactly, maybe you should stick to that site with comments like that.