Shameful acts from Hogan cup

Started by Peter Solan the Great, April 10, 2010, 11:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

They seemed to be full of life, singing, dancing and loads of colour at the MacRory Cup Final. You know, the sort of thing you want to see and expect to see at a school's final.

Surely they didn't change that much in the semi and the final. Or are they over sensitive down Mexico way?
Testing Accessibility

imtommygunn

These matches are also very different from your average club / county match for example.

The fans are mainly school kids who know no better.

So for any media, e.g. the bbc, who wish to blame the GAA for schoolkids who get a bit excited then they need to wise up. A bunch of schoolkids are not representative of a GAA fanbase.

Yes it is being totally blown out of all proportion too.

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 11, 2010, 12:47:03 PM
These matches are also very different from your average club / county match for example.

The fans are mainly school kids who know no better.

So for any media, e.g. the bbc, who wish to blame the GAA for schoolkids who get a bit excited then they need to wise up. A bunch of schoolkids are not representative of a GAA fanbase.

Some of the 'banter' was beyond the pale. Good source- ie people were there and who weren't supporting either side. Should be ashamed of themselves.

Winnie Peg

As a past pupil of Violet Hill, I must say that I was very proud of the performance of our team yesterday as they upheld the proud traditions of my Alma Mater. However, I must say say that I was very embarrassed and quite ashamed of the behaviour of a sizeable sector of our support. All I can say is trhat it certainly wouldn't have been tolerated by the college authorities in my day.

pintsofguinness

was it school kids or adults acting like dicks?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Isn't dragging the BBC into the debate about what they hypothetically haven't said blowing up the proportion of this?

This is an aspiring reporter who went to the game and latched onto a story. It's his blog and his perogative, but IMO if he wanted to practise his skills he could have reviewed the game itself or actually sought quotes from others at the game on their opinion of the St Colman's fans to find out if there was consenus on his take.

The real story yesterday was on the field, where an excellent school team played a Kerry team off the park.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Estimator

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on April 11, 2010, 01:02:05 PM

Isn't dragging the BBC into the debate about what they hypothetically haven't said blowing up the proportion of this?

This is an aspiring reporter who went to the game and latched onto a story. It's his blog and his perogative, but IMO if he wanted to practise his skills he could have reviewed the game itself or actually sought quotes from others at the game on their opinion of the St Colman's fans to find out if there was consenus on his take.

The real story yesterday was on the field, where an excellent school team played a Kerry team off the park.

So a school team beat a kerry team? Are you not doing the same as the blogger?
Ulster League Champions 2009

INDIANA

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on April 11, 2010, 01:02:05 PM

Yep if the shoe was on the other foot but you be so quiet about it. Not a hope in hell. There would be a 50 page thread about it.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

What shoe are you talking about?

I'm not a St Colmans supporter. Pointing out that so little has been said about how good the FOOTBALL was. 

Apologies for the typo of not describing the Kerry team as a school team as well  ::)

But sure twist on....
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

fitzroyalty

What exactly are these shameful acts? Drinking? A Flair? Shouting at Paul Galvin? As I said on the other thread there is a minority element who tag along to the College's games for a piss up, which is regrettable. But how many thousands of people get pissed and watch Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Tyrone, Armagh etc at Croke Park every summer?

todubhain461

There was no-one arrested. Three of the boys were taken away for attempting to get onto the pitch & were home by 7 o clock that evening. It's been completely blown out of proportion. "the smell of alcohol emanating from their section of the ground" - What a load of bollocks. It seems this guy had nothing to say about the football, as St.Colman's were yet again outstanding. The scoreline flattered the Kerry men. Also, the "abuse" to Paul Galvin was 3 or 4 boys making a joke of when Galvin accidentally hit one of his students with a duster. To the bloke who wrote that blog, next time - Get your facts right.

supersub

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

longrunsthefox

Poor Paul...  ::)  isn't he the same boy split a student with a duster?

Lecale2

No need for abuse. If it happened.