Internet probs

Started by tyrone girl, April 07, 2010, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Prob loads of threads on this but quick one for now. Anyone know why i wouldnt be able to access facebook? Tis only my computer in work that wont bring it up thats how i know it isnt blocked. Every other webpage i put in comes up no problem but when try facebook it keeps saying internet explorer cannot display this page.
Any ideas?

imtommygunn

It could very well be blocked in your office. Ask someone else there to try too.

Unlikely facebook would be down. I've been able to access it today so my guess is you're blocked...

Although usually it would tell you mind.

tyrone girl

It isnt blocked though cos all the rest of the girls can get on it all day. I rang the IT crowd who usually deal with our stuff and they talked me through resetting to default locations and then told me download firefox and try it - none of them worked.

Rois

Mine does that frequently when trying to get into FB.  I keep refreshing and refreshing till it comes up, usually after 3 or four goes. 

tyrone girl

Yep i did indeed - doesnt bother me cos they only young lads and its us they deal with in the office not the bosses.
Have tried and tried though Rois and it wont let me in

Celt_Man

The age old solution of turning the computer off and then back on again??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tyrone girl

Tried that as well  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Fgs im getting pissed off with it now.

Celt_Man

well then you have just about reached the limits of my problem solving abilities so.  Is there any way you can reset your internet connection?  Like turn the wireless connection off on a laptop and put it back on again?
But I'm guessing it's a PC right?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

What are you lot doing on Facebook during work hours? do some work!!!!

(says the guy with 2,000 posts on GAABOARD  ;D )

imtommygunn

Have you tried bothe IE and Firefox?

I used to get an issue with a particular site on firefox - can't mind which one.

thebigfella

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 07, 2010, 03:45:40 PM
Yep i did indeed - doesnt bother me cos they only young lads and its us they deal with in the office not the bosses.
Have tried and tried though Rois and it wont let me in

I'd say that sort of attitude is the reason they blocked you  :P Either as a piss take or you bosses have asked for report of brosing activity during work hours.

tyrone girl

But they told me it couldnt be blocked cos it would be them that would have to block it and also said all connecting computers would have to be blocked also - and the rest of the girls are sittin on fb all day  >:(

Sawyer

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 07, 2010, 04:41:14 PM
But they told me it couldnt be blocked cos it would be them that would have to block it and also said all connecting computers would have to be blocked also - and the rest of the girls are sittin on fb all day  >:(

and people wondr why the ecomony i up the left..... I dont go onto internet during working hours just on my breaks... do you not feel quilty? Isn't it a bit like stealing?

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Sawyer on April 07, 2010, 06:24:25 PM
Quote from: tyrone girl on April 07, 2010, 04:41:14 PM

and people wondr why the ecomony i up the left..... I dont go onto internet during working hours just on my breaks... do you not feel quilty? Isn't it a bit like stealing?

Exactly. Sounds like some set up with the girls sitting on facebook all day. Maybe she's a wind up.

Lar Naparka

Seems to be that your computer is being blocked deliberately.
This is often done in schools and places of work to stop kids or employees accessing certain sites.
There is a way around this but of course I'm not going to tell you to do something that is wrong or anything like that!
But you might care to try this out to see what you could do if you were really trying to waste your time when you should be working- or something like that.
To do this, you need a proxy server.  A proxy in this case means a site that you can use to connect you to Facebook or any other site that is being blocked on your own computer.
Try a 'proxy server' search on Google. Anything with 'proxy' in it will do to bring up a list of sites you can use. You can then use one of those to act as a go between to connect you to Facebook. 
Here is the first one I found on Google:
http://proxytofacebook.com/

Look for the box where it says 'Go' on the button and type in http://www.facebook.com
Let me know how you get on.
Most of those sites are free to use and claim they are spyware etc.  free and leave no trace of where you have been behind but you shouldn't take everything they say at face value.  Still, schoolkids use them all the time and I haven't heard of any security problems of any sort with any proxy sites but that doesn't mean that all of them are squeaky clean.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi