Dermot Earley may be forced to retire

Started by Lar Naparka, April 03, 2010, 12:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on April 04, 2010, 08:00:17 PM
Heard this myself some months ago .
Terrible news indeed.
My thoughts are with his family at this trying time.
So many memories but the rhubarbs lads carrying him off the pitch in 85 is one great one.
I suppose as a mayo man he had the missionary Zeal the he brought to Kildare as well
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rosnarun on April 04, 2010, 11:25:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 04, 2010, 08:00:17 PM
Heard this myself some months ago .
Terrible news indeed.
My thoughts are with his family at this trying time.
So many memories but the rhubarbs lads carrying him off the pitch in 85 is one great one.
I suppose as a mayo man he had the missionary Zeal the he brought to Kildare as well

I was thinking that to Rosnarun, he was from Castlebar originally wasn't he. But in the end of the day he was a Roscommon man. A great footballer, one of the Connacht greats. Hope he gets better soon.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

rosnarun

i was thinking of a non soppy compliment to pay hime , I dont think i could do any better than call him a Mayo man

ross4life

Dermot Earley home place is outside Ballinlough in Roscommon i didn't hear about this Mayo connection until ye boys talked about it? maybe he was born in Castlebar

anyways my Dad Trained him in the Army & i know first hand his love for everything Roscommon, a true gentleman on & off the field

i hope he recovers from his illness & has a happy retirement
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Dermot was born in Castlebar. Moved to Gortnaganny when he was four or five or so. I was only 3 in 1985 but so many people talk highly of Dermot being chaired from the field by the Mayo players. Twas some act and somewhat ony befitting a great  gael. Which Dermot is.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Fear ón Srath Bán

Lads, I'd say the last thing Dermot wants or needs is a message-board squabble about his County of origin :P

Suffice it to say that the only thing that really matters is the jersey he wore on his back in his illustrious playing days, and that was most definitely not Red and Green  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 06:35:47 PM
Dermot Earley home place is outside Ballinlough in Roscommon i didn't hear about this Mayo connection until ye boys talked about it? maybe he was born in Castlebar

anyways my Dad Trained him in the Army & i know first hand his love for everything Roscommon, a true gentleman on & off the field

Gortaganny is right up against the county boundary line and I'd say Ballyhaunis is the nearest half-decent town to the place. It was one of the townlands shifted from Mayo to Roscommon back in 1898 and a lot of Mayo locals from around there are still sore about it!
I was in a place called Crossard on the Mayo side of the border about six weeks ago and was having a quiet chat with a few locals when the subject of the 'land grab' came up.
Janey Mac; they are just as annoyed as their great great grandparents would have been when 'Johneen' Dillon got the boundary line re-drawn as the rents in Roscommon were lower than in Mayo. One elderly lady told me that if Johneen was still alive, he'd be killed stone dead on the spot!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 05, 2010, 08:10:23 PM
Lads, I'd say the last thing Dermot wants or needs is a message-board squabble about his County of origin :P

Suffice it to say that the only thing that really matters is the jersey he wore on his back in his illustrious playing days, and that was most definitely not Red and Green  ;)

No one is arguing at all. Also I don't know of an County that play in Red and Green, Mayo do however play in Green and Red.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

well you guys do know that theres not maternity ward in Roscommon now & unless babies are born in the home they are born in either Galway or Castlebar

so does that make them roscommon people?

Funny how charles haughey a born & bred Castlebar man is never claimed as one of your own in mayo?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 05, 2010, 08:35:21 PM
Also I don't know of an County that play in Red and Green, Mayo do however play in Green and Red.

RedAndGreenSniper, your board handle is all wrong!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 05, 2010, 08:27:02 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 06:35:47 PM

Gortaganny is right up against the county boundary line and I'd say Ballyhaunis is the nearest half-decent town to the place. It was one of the townlands shifted from Mayo to Roscommon back in 1898 and a lot of Mayo locals from around there are still sore about it!
I was in a place called Crossard on the Mayo side of the border about six weeks ago and was having a quiet chat with a few locals when the subject of the 'land grab' came up.
Janey Mac; they are just as annoyed as their great great grandparents would have been when 'Johneen' Dillon got the boundary line re-drawn as the rents in Roscommon were lower than in Mayo. One elderly lady told me that if Johneen was still alive, he'd be killed stone dead on the spot!

Reminds me of the story told around Ballagh of the woman who once said to Dillion, "if I was your wife, I'd give you poison", to which he replied, "and mam if I was your husband I'd drink it gladly."

Prayers with Dermot and his family. Seems like only yesterday since he was telling great stories to the Ros fans when we played New York in Gaelic Park. A legend in every sense of the word.

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 08:57:47 PM
well you guys do know that theres not maternity ward in Roscommon now & unless babies are born in the home they are born in either Galway or Castlebar

so does that make them roscommon people?

Funny how charles haughey a born & bred Castlebar man is never claimed as one of your own in mayo?

He is, there is a commemorative plaque (on the wrong house).

Sorry to hear about Dermot's illness. I remember the Mayo players carrying him from the field that day.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 05, 2010, 10:06:25 PM
Also I don't know of an County that play in Red and Green, Mayo do however play in Green and Red.

RedAndGreenSniper, your board handle is all wrong!  :D

Nah, just like to be different!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 05, 2010, 08:10:23 PM

I know and if he had been just a bit better he could have

(im sure he has heard it all before. and Recognise the complement i don see any one arguing over the birth place of

No one is arguing at all. Also I don't know of an County that play in Red and Green, Mayo do however play in Green and Red.

I know and if he had been just a bit better he could have

(im sure he has heard it all before. and Recognise the complement, i don see any one arguing over the birth place of
Cake)

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on April 05, 2010, 10:56:43 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 08:57:47 PM

He is, there is a commemorative plaque (on the wrong house).

which house then? is it not the house across the road close to the TF Hotel