International Rules 2010/2011

Started by Estimator, March 31, 2010, 02:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Pangurban on October 24, 2010, 05:43:43 AM
Terrible spectacle and i hope the next game is even worse, then perhaps we will  an end to this nonsense

Well I'd certainly put more weight behind the players viewpoints who love playing it than yours!!

orangeman

It must be a great honour to play for your country.

This was brutal stuff last night.

But it's all part of the masterplan.

Maybe next week's will be better fare.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2010, 09:54:47 AM

Must be frustrating for the players though that most of the country couldn't care less. It is  a rent-a-crowd with hundreds of tickets going to scools and GAA clubs. Hardly the stuff of a competitive international.   

Bogball XV

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 24, 2010, 10:01:24 AM
Quote from: orangeman on October 24, 2010, 09:54:47 AM

Must be frustrating for the players though that most of the country couldn't care less. It is  a rent-a-crowd with hundreds of tickets going to scools and GAA clubs. Hardly the stuff of a competitive international.
hundreds out of how many thousands?  And tickets going to schools and gaa clubs - the shame of it!!

Whatever about the irish team trying to play soccer, i'm amazed that they're so poor at it.

fearglasmor

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 24, 2010, 07:46:30 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on October 24, 2010, 05:43:43 AM
Terrible spectacle and i hope the next game is even worse, then perhaps we will  an end to this nonsense

Well I'd certainly put more weight behind the players viewpoints who love playing it than yours!!

Of course the fecking players love it. What player wouldn't. But despite the current trend of the intercounty player being the centre of the universe and the GAA authorities wanting to become more like Mr feckin Blatter, as a fully paid up participating member of the GAA I object to this shite being peddled in my name. An yes I will be trying to propose a motion at the club agm to end it.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2010, 12:35:33 AM
Just finished watching it, thought Ireland could have played a lot better, clever by Tohill to play good men that can take a score should they win a mark but we failed to score or make use of it.
Winning a few marks inside the "kicking zone" (<30m from goal) looked to be more the issue than the kicking. Either the players were not functioning or the plan did not work.
Even if the game had the possibility to be watchable/playable and we could compete, it would take much more practice and proper tactical coaching to make it happen for us.

I thought Canty was anything but suitable for the game, looked to be as slow as a carthorse.

stephenite

Any such motion will ultimately fail now that the GPA are in house.
Honestly, would your time not be better spent complaining about something more worthwhile or perhaps not complaining at all.
It's not doing anyone any harm.

Last nights game was poor fare, the fact two recent young players of the year winners cannot put the ball over the bar from relatively easy positions is rather embarrassing

sheamy

utter shite. this should be scrapped.

Denn Forever

Did anyone tell the irish players that if you bring the ball into contact you have to get rid of it?  No back up player and the australians knew to look for  a free man and give it to that person.

Have the irish players learned anthing from the last few years?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

Just watched the entire match and as I feared and predicted, it was tepid and insipid stuff. It's now so sanitised it's like one of those angry dogs made docile with an injection from the vet. It was like watching an extended pre-match warmup for an hour.

There was absolutely nothing to recommend it for 60 minutes, until finally Ireland shook themselves and applied a bit of pressure. There was a bit of pace to it then at least. But in general, Ireland's 'skills' were abysmal and despite Aussie claims that we enjoy a huge advantage with the round ball, in many aspects they were better with it than we were. Embarassing number of behinds.

I'm not so exercised about it as to come on here and start frothing about it being an abortion or a mongrel or an abomination, I think it's a largely harmless piece of fluff.

But those that hate it can sleep easy I think, the clock is ticking on the series because what violence didn't kill off a few years ago, apathy and disinterest surely will now. If two teams aren't going at it hammer and tongs because one is afraid of hurting the other, then it's hardly viable. Or watchable even.

INDIANA

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 24, 2010, 12:35:31 PM
Just watched the entire match and as I feared and predicted, it was tepid and insipid stuff. It's now so sanitised it's like one of those angry dogs made docile with an injection from the vet. It was like watching an extended pre-match warmup for an hour.

There was absolutely nothing to recommend it for 60 minutes, until finally Ireland shook themselves and applied a bit of pressure. There was a bit of pace to it then at least. But in general, Ireland's 'skills' were abysmal and despite Aussie claims that we enjoy a huge advantage with the round ball, in many aspects they were better with it than we were. Embarassing number of behinds.

I'm not so exercised about it as to come on here and start frothing about it being an abortion or a mongrel or an abomination, I think it's a largely harmless piece of fluff.

But those that hate it can sleep easy I think, the clock is ticking on the series because what violence didn't kill off a few years ago, apathy and disinterest surely will now. If two teams aren't going at it hammer and tongs because one is afraid of hurting the other, then it's hardly viable. Or watchable even.
You cant introduce huge physicality levels with professional athletes. Because our lads cant cope with it.

This is still amateurs v professionals in raw athletic terms leaving aside ball skills.

There cant be an increase in physicality because our lads will be minced. Aussie Rules players are probably the best athletes in the world in terms of fitness and power.

If thats whats required for people's interest then it should be scrapped. Once and for all.

Its not a very attractive game to watch and I cant say i enjoy watching it. But maybe thats because the fare is so poor in so many of these games.

skeog

what poor fare last night just a jolly to oz for the suits keeps it going, tohill out of his depth kerry players gaa type badly missed

lawnseed

the last of the Mohican's? WTF! watched it last night, watched the highlights, watching it now again, wtf :o, WTF ::). This is the poorest panel of players yet to represent the gaa! whats the story with canty? wins the mark then carries the ball further back up the field than where it was kicked from, tadgh kennelly can't kick the ball, kevin reilly ::) MARTY CLARKE!?? i understood these guys have trained, tackles?, marks?, tactics? all a waste of time. big antonys plan of out playing the Aussies by playing soccer is a total embarrassment why didn't he call up soccer players? as already said here it would be better to get stuffed playing Gaelic than to resort to soccer. Irelands best player is a goalkeeper? Brendan Murphy :-[ :-[ murphy from donegal  :-[ the crowd just went into rapturous applause kennelly just caught the ball on his chest, unmarked! brutal stuff! far too many players from counties knocked out of the championship months ago they're simply not up to match speed. looks like we just dont have the players the aussies are happy to hold their positions and win thier own ball and tackles whomever comes into that area our lads are tripping over each other. Sean og de paor just summed it up there was a loud farting noise at the end of his interview ??? well at least the kids had a laugh ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

cavanmaniac

Quote from: INDIANA on October 24, 2010, 01:02:49 PM
You cant introduce huge physicality levels with professional athletes. Because our lads cant cope with it.

This is still amateurs v professionals in raw athletic terms leaving aside ball skills.

There cant be an increase in physicality because our lads will be minced. Aussie Rules players are probably the best athletes in the world in terms of fitness and power.

This is effectively my point as well. A combination of the Aussie's increased professionalism since the eighties and - let's be honest here - a sad, parallel decrease in the hardiness of our own game - just means this is not a contest any more. We're relying on the Aussies to go easy on us just so it doesn't degenerate into a total hiding, either fight-wise or scorewise. It's just bland to watch now because they're holding back and even at that they're giving us the runaround. It'll die of its own accord soon enough I think, once the crowds fall off they'll pack it up for good.

lawnseed

have to agree cavan our lads are soft as shite. as soon as a team start showing any physical side to their game they're labled "physical" meejah jargon for "dirty". armagh post 2002 were a classic example i remember some of the kerry lads saying "when armagh hit you, you stay hit" the hacks picked up on this and every time the armagh team took to the field it was "their a big physical side" on tg4 you could clearly make out "physical" in the Irish commentry. i never thought armagh were dirty they weren't  even that big but this label definitely cost them, decisions went against them and they had to change their game this trend permeates our game and what we are watching is a direct result
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once