The dual player

Started by Reillers, March 29, 2010, 10:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: cicfada on April 01, 2010, 10:01:49 AM
Cadogan must be one of the last remaining romantics if he thinks he can pull this off! The dilemma is he  is need more by the co hurlers than the footballers even though he is a better footballer than hurler! Sure if they had him from the start in AI football final last year it might have made all the difference!  On a larger scale there are clubs in Cork who still think they can be successful in both codes when a large number of players are playing both codes for the senior teams. Choose one and be successful at it! I was a co convention here in Cork a few years ago when the Douglas (Cadogan's Club) delegate  started complaining about the tough schedule that they had had that year. Their intermediate hurlers had reached the co semifinal and were beaten and their footballers had reached the co senior final and were beaten as well. They had around 7 or 8 maybe dual players! I  felt like saying to the Douglas delegate........."Hey there's a reason that you lost both games...too many games for the same players".  They had played for about 7 or 8 weeks in a row but to me that's the risk you run if you are competing seriously in both codes! It cannot be done  in my opinion! I mean it's a wonderful concept and good luck to Eoin Cadogan but push will come to shove sometime this year, sooner rather than later!!

St Gall's won the football AI and got to the final of the AI intermediate final with 5 or 6 dual players.  St Finbarr's in Cork where regularly contesting AI club finals in both codes at around the same time.  Ballyboden St Endas did the double in Dublin.  The fact that Douglas got to the final in the football and the semi final in the hurling doesn't really prove that they would won any more if they had stuck to 1 code.  Maybe there game improved from playing both codes to a good standard.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Reillers

Quote from: Maiden1 on April 01, 2010, 10:55:35 AM
Cadogan must be one of the last remaining romantics if he thinks he can pull this off! The dilemma is he  is need more by the co hurlers than the footballers even though he is a better footballer than hurler! Sure if they had him from the start in AI football final last year it might have made all the difference!  On a larger scale there are clubs in Cork who still think they can be successful in both codes when a large number of players are playing both codes for the senior teams. Choose one and be successful at it! I was a co convention here in Cork a few years ago when the Douglas (Cadogan's Club) delegate  started complaining about the tough schedule that they had had that year. Their intermediate hurlers had reached the co semifinal and were beaten and their footballers had reached the co senior final and were beaten as well. They had around 7 or 8 maybe dual players! I  felt like saying to the Douglas delegate........."Hey there's a reason that you lost both games...too many games for the same players".  They had played for about 7 or 8 weeks in a row but to me that's the risk you run if you are competing seriously in both codes! It cannot be done  in my opinion! I mean it's a wonderful concept and good luck to Eoin Cadogan but push will come to shove sometime this year, sooner rather than later!!

St Gall's won the football AI and got to the final of the AI intermediate final with 5 or 6 dual players.  St Finbarr's in Cork where regularly contesting AI club finals in both codes at around the same time.  Ballyboden St Endas did the double in Dublin.  The fact that Douglas got to the final in the football and the semi final in the hurling doesn't really prove that they would won any more if they had stuck to 1 code.  Maybe there game improved from playing both codes to a good standard.

Ya I mean how many dual players do the Cork ladies football and camogie team have, and to say they've been succesfull with it is an understatement.
At the end of the day it will involve incredible patience and communication from both sides, the minute communication b breaks down then there'll be a problem. I do think that there will come a point where a decision will need to be made. But he's a smart lad and will do what's needed if and when the time comes.

Milltown Row2

we won both!!and we won it cause our lads were fit and getting competitive games. the last time our club got to Croke park 2006 we reached the county senior hurling semi final and were unlucky to lose to Loughgiel by 3 points. we had 8 players playing both. if its well managed then its achieveable
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ha ha derry

Dungiven / Kevin Lynch,s got to their respective senior finals. Hurlers won and the footballers were beaten by a point. 10 / 11 that play both codes. The dual players are the better players on both teams.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 01, 2010, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on April 01, 2010, 10:55:35 AM

Ya I mean how many dual players do the Cork ladies football and camogie team have, and to say they've been succesfull with it is an understatement.
At the end of the day it will involve incredible patience and communication from both sides, the minute communication b breaks down then there'll be a problem.

Is there much of a crossover between the Ladies football & camogie?

Getting back to Cadogen - would it be worth getting Teddy Mac involved as a go between for all parties given his legendary status plus he knows how to juggle the demands of a dual player..

cicfada

Teddy Mac was rejected by the footballers as part of Teddy Holland's team and the hurlers as part of Gerald Mc carthy's team so that's a non-runner I'd say!

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on April 02, 2010, 11:16:42 AM
Teddy Mac was rejected by the footballers as part of Teddy Holland's team and the hurlers as part of Gerald Mc carthy's team so that's a non-runner I'd say!

He knows, it's a wind up.

What he doesn't know is that he's a son on the panel.  ::)

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 02, 2010, 11:35:07 AM
Quote from: cicfada on April 02, 2010, 11:16:42 AM

What he doesn't know is that he's a son on the panel.  ::)

That's a terrible thing to say Reillers - take it back.

It's common knowledge that Cian McCarthy is on the panel.

Surely some of the more militant GPA members would have no problem with Teddy Mc and would let bygones be bygones?

Chris agus Snoop

Does this mean that Tom Humpries and Paul Galvin are getting a divorce?