The dual player

Started by Reillers, March 29, 2010, 10:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

A great article on Eoin Cadogan that I felt deserved a topic of it's own.

Cadogan is not a figment of your imagination

CORK HURLING AND FOOTBALL: TOM HUMPHRIES
talks to the versatile young Cork star who defies the conventional wisdom that you can't be a dual player at the top level of the GAA in this day and age

EOIN CADOGAN is a work of fiction. He's not a fake as such, but somebody must have made him up. He has been created as a marketing tool by some ponytailed genius down in the creative department or dreamed up by some geek looking to create a new comic-strip hero.

Eoin Cadogan can't be real.

He's tall and chisel-jawed, handsome enough to make any teammate look like Shrek. As such, you should be able to throw a stone up in the air and almost always have it hit somebody with a bad word to say about Eoin Cadogan. He can't be as decent, loyal, likeable and obliging as he comes across.

And this weekend he can't possibly play football in Derry on Saturday night and hurling in Parnell Park on Sunday. He can't be the last of the dual players.

Or can he?

They haven't gone away you know.

Just when you think all sports science and conventional wisdom tends towards the conclusion that you just can't be a dual player in this day and age some young buck will leap in the air and yell, "the hell you can't".

Eoin Cadogan is such a heap of raw and untreated talent in both games that you expect that he could only progress in one at the expense of the other.

You look at him playing both his sports and the verdict in both codes is that he has a lot of everything but in neither does he have enough of one thing to allow him to survive. Yet he keeps improving at them both.

The graph just keeps tilting upwards and neither Conor Counihan nor Denis Walsh has gotten to the stage yet when they throw their hands in the air in exasperation and demand that Cadogan make a choice.

And with respect, genuine respect, he's not really too worried what you think. He loves the life he lives and he lives the life he loves. This was the dream. It unfolds before him now. Wanted by Cork's footballers on Saturday and by the hurlers on Sunday.

If you grew up as a prodigy in both codes you would cherish that idea, wouldn't you? The next Brian Corcoran. The next JBM. You'd hear it debated in whispers from the time you were out of mini-leagues. He's brilliant at this but he's better at the other.

And anybody who grew up as Eoin Cadogan did would grasp such an opportunity like a lunatic. The only debate he inspired was which game he was worse at.

"Aw, I was just about fecking useless," he says. "My dad never really played any hurling or football, but they got me involved at a young age. I was useless. At football I was atrocious, could never get my games at under-12 and under-14, under-15. I got a bit bigger. That helps with football and they starting throwing me in at full back.

"Meanwhile I was by no means any great hurler and I still don't claim to be, but they let me at it eventually. They were always very supportive at home no matter how bad I was. So when it is like that there is no pressure to choose!"

He kept his options open in case of sudden improvement in either sport. One summer he grew prodigiously which was something. He was better (or least bad) at hurling but his height bought him more breaks in football.

"Until I grew I was 100 per cent a sub in the football. I got a call up to SeandĂșn (the divisional side) when I was about 15, coming on 16. That was a big deal. We were playing Carrigdhoun. I was full back. In the first half my man got 3-3 off me. I was out of my depth. I said to myself what's the point and went and asked the manager to take me off.

"I thought I was doing him a favour, but I can't repeat what he said to me. I had no choice to play on. He saw some bit of good in me. I was getting a bit bigger and stronger. I was no genius but he saw something.

"By the age of 17 I kicked on. I got a call up to the under-21 footballers in Douglas. The club were blooding younger fellas with the senior football. On the 21s I looked very big even though I was still 16 so I was one of the ones they blooded at senior.

"I started a county semi-final at wing forward and after 10 minutes I got the task of going in on Niall Cahalane at midfield. An old dog and a young pup. That sort of thing toughened you up though. Made you a bit cuter and wiser."

And if you were playing football on Niall Cahalane, even if he were eating you alive, why would you quit?

So to hurling.

"I wouldn't say the hurling was much better," he says with a sigh and a laugh. "Not too bad. I loved the hurling a bit more than the football. The main reason for that was I was so bad at the football.

"At 17 I got a call to the Cork minors. That was a lucky break. My name got around the place a bit. I was big. I'd been out with the Douglas senior footballers. So the minor footballers called me in. I kept on in there. Hanging in.

"There is an awful lot of work but you just hang in. If ever now I am talking to a kid or a young player, I would say just because you don't get you game at under-15 or under-16 doesn't mean you won't progress. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Just keep going. Things fall into place."

There have been times when it has been hard. A few years ago he found himself playing Fitzgibbon Cup, under-21 hurling and football for Cork, senior football for Cork, as well as turning out for the under-21 and senior hurling and football teams in Douglas.

"People were telling me that I would burn-out. I don't think it is an issue with the amount I am doing now. Back then, organising myself would have burned me out quicker than playing.

"My mother was good at jotting in training times and taking phone calls during the day. You have to be here now tonight. You have to be there. I'm not an organised person. I'd want to be organising myself a bit better."

This week he trained with the hurlers on Tuesday and the footballers on Wednesday and got named in both sides on Thursday although it will be a shock if he materialises in both places.

On a hurling week he needs to get to the ball alley in Rochestown at least twice to work on his touch with the stick.

It's an eternal juggling act.

As for burnout he has taken the Cork route to avoiding it. A strike with the footballers and a strike with the hurlers since he came on the scene.

He grew up in Douglas, one of four kids, as the place was being subsumed into the city. The family had a small farm and the good fortune to live in a place surrounded by pitches.

"I was lucky enough to get brought up in what is left of the country. Douglas winter training pitch is just a jump over the pitch and I am in there. We are surrounded by pitches, Carrigaline and Douglas rugby clubs, Douglas Hall soccer.

"It was hard getting to all the games though, so when I was 17 they put me on the road in a car. No more Mr and Mrs Taxi for parents."

And that's it. Stress passes him by. His work at the moment is all contracts, no security. "Lucky to have it at all," he shrugs. And people have only one form of address to him. His mental health.

Just sitting inside in the canteen a few minutes ago and somebody collared him. The usual.

"You're mad. What are you playing at. You won't make it at either the way you're going on."

He doesn't argue. "If it comes to a crisis and I feel the performances are bad I'll make a new plan and drive on with that. For now sure I'm 23. I am going to give it a lash. I'm giving it a lash and can only try my best. Then nobody can say I didn't give it a lash."

Fair enough.

Several hours after the interview ends the phone rings. Eoin Cadogan's number flashes up. You sigh. Here we go.

Odds are that he's talked to respective Cork managers Conor Counihan and Denis Walsh and they'd prefer if he kept out of the papers. For now. So could you scrap the interview. For now.

Maybe later in the summer when the odds are impossibly high, Counihan or Walsh might encourage him to talk.

Yeah, right.

Rule number one in this scenario. Don't make it easy for him. Lay the guilt on thick and heavy.

"Hello? It's Eoin Cadogan Eh!" "Yes? What is it?

"Really sorry, I was wondering could you do me a favour please?"

"Tell me what it is and I will see whether I will do you a favour.

"One thing I forgot, I forgot to mention was my two neighbours. On summer evenings when I'd be growing up we'd play an All-Ireland in the back garden every evening. Mick Kingston and Pa Murphy. They were grown men. I know it would mean a lot to the lads. They meant a lot to me growing up. It was great crack, they'd stand with the father. I'd be one end of the garden. They'd be the other end.

"Driving the ball at each other. That was the highlight of every day. We'd a good-size garden. All we were short was a set of jerseys."

A dual intercounty star who calls you back for such a gentle recollection and to thank a couple of neighbours ?

Gives the game away.

He is fictional but top-drawer fiction.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0327/1224267172036.html

What do ye think, is time passed the dual player?
Saturday night with the footballers, Sunday with the hurlers, with shin splints apparently.

With the commitment expected for both codes at the top level, with Cork being such a demanding county with both codes, it is an awful lot to ask of the lad to keep up what he's putting in.
Cadogan's character means he'll do just about everything to play for both and wont complain either.

But is it realistic to think he'll still be playing both..Surely it's only a matter of time before injury/burn out or a manager steps in.

But is it possible, at this level to play both codes in this day in age?

orangeman

I hope he becomes as good as the great Teddy Mac !  ;)

Milltown Row2

very difficult to do it at club level nevermind county level.

we had a great season on both fronts but only came away with one title! our players are burnt out and tired at the minute, they could do with a season off!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Red Hurley

Are we not taught to embrace all aspects of the Gaa? if a player wants to play both codes would a true Gaa club not help him to do this? There used to be an idea that soccer was the biggest threat to our games but I think you will find the threat is closer to home than that. Long live the dual player, I will encourage my kids to play football and hurl.

heffo

Humphries always had a soft spot for the strikers..

AZOffaly

I'd encourage lads to play both, but to be honest with the dedication required these days it's hard to see how any lad could be a dual county player, and hold down a job/be a full time student as well. There's only so many hours in the day.

But any lad that can do it, and do it well, I say fair play to him.

GalwayBayBoy

That article was almost homo-erotic.

heffo

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 30, 2010, 02:58:35 PM
That article was almost homo-erotic.

Almost like Reillers swooning when discussing the O'Connor twins.

awfulynice

I think there is no reason why the dual player cant survive in GAA...and in some clubs they are essential to the continuation of hurling or football in the parish.

Its extremely tough at intercounty level to compete at one code, to do it with both is like a full time job...and a tough one at that.

But I think the real problem with player burn out etc is the ridiculously high demands that are put on players. For Example a player from my local club last year played Intercounty hurling @ senior, U21, Fitzgibbon cup, then senior and under 21 with the club, that is just one code. But the real problem he mentioned was training....he was expected to be at every training session for every team and to take part as much as possible.

Managers need to take their heads out of the sand, realise that its just not possible to be in two places at once. The old school managers think back to the "good oul days" when lads didnt get strained muscles and played for 10 teams if they were good enough

What they fail to realise is that the intensity level of training and matches in this modern age is a hard thing to keep going for 10 - 12 times a week, 40 - 50 weeks in the year.

Id imagine that the Cork managers and his club managers have gotten together to sort some kind of schedule out because he will definately burn out if hes not treated properly

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on March 30, 2010, 04:32:31 PM
I think there is no reason why the dual player cant survive in GAA...and in some clubs they are essential to the continuation of hurling or football in the parish.

Its extremely tough at intercounty level to compete at one code, to do it with both is like a full time job...and a tough one at that.

But I think the real problem with player burn out etc is the ridiculously high demands that are put on players. For Example a player from my local club last year played Intercounty hurling @ senior, U21, Fitzgibbon cup, then senior and under 21 with the club, that is just one code. But the real problem he mentioned was training....he was expected to be at every training session for every team and to take part as much as possible.

Managers need to take their heads out of the sand, realise that its just not possible to be in two places at once. The old school managers think back to the "good oul days" when lads didnt get strained muscles and played for 10 teams if they were good enough

What they fail to realise is that the intensity level of training and matches in this modern age is a hard thing to keep going for 10 - 12 times a week, 40 - 50 weeks in the year.

Id imagine that the Cork managers and his club managers have gotten together to sort some kind of schedule out because he will definately burn out if hes not treated properly

And there is feck all communication.
Whatever about the older players, it's the younger ones, it's the young lads who are playing U21s/senior with the club and maybe the same IC and never mind with a college..etc. And they're expected to be everywhere, and it does not work. And managers of the different teams, from my experience anyway, they do get frustrated and there's very little communication from the different sides. ANd the players are trying to please everybody and only end up running themselvs into the ground.

He will try everything and anything to continue playing both, but as much as he wants to do it, I can really only see it ending in one way. He eithers gets injured, burns out, or a manager puts his foot down. The demand at this level is too high. He either hits the breaks or he hits a wall.

Milltown Row2

played a hurling match on saturday then we'd a football match (the thirds) on the sunday, the referee never turned up so i offered to referee the first half and i played the second half!!!!

Granted my legs are fooked but i'm 38

whats with these kids nowdays???
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maiden1

Quote from: orangeman on March 29, 2010, 10:27:53 PM
I hope he becomes as good as the great Teddy Mac !  ;)

Or Jimmy Barry Murphy.  AI club (2 each) and county 1 football and 5 hurling.  Allstars in both (5 hurling 2 football).
There are no proofs, only opinions.

awfulynice

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2010, 08:15:40 PM
played a hurling match on saturday then we'd a football match (the thirds) on the sunday, the referee never turned up so i offered to referee the first half and i played the second half!!!!

Granted my legs are fooked but i'm 38

whats with these kids nowdays???

haha i think you just proved my point!!!

Milltown Row2

its just harder to do it at the highest level.

but i would encourage anyone to play both. i managed juvenile teams in hurling for years, while i had 15 to pick from the footballers had development teams from under 8 up!!!

we've had a great year as a Dual Club but fear the hurling will lose out on our footballers trying to get back to Croke Park again (at some point)

Mangers should realise that the dual player needs between both teams, if he's good enough let him play

cicfada

Cadogan must be one of the last remaining romantics if he thinks he can pull this off! The dilemma is he  is need more by the co hurlers than the footballers even though he is a better footballer than hurler! Sure if they had him from the start in AI football final last year it might have made all the difference!  On a larger scale there are clubs in Cork who still think they can be successful in both codes when a large number of players are playing both codes for the senior teams. Choose one and be successful at it! I was a co convention here in Cork a few years ago when the Douglas (Cadogan's Club) delegate  started complaining about the tough schedule that they had had that year. Their intermediate hurlers had reached the co semifinal and were beaten and their footballers had reached the co senior final and were beaten as well. They had around 7 or 8 maybe dual players! I  felt like saying to the Douglas delegate........."Hey there's a reason that you lost both games...too many games for the same players".  They had played for about 7 or 8 weeks in a row but to me that's the risk you run if you are competing seriously in both codes! It cannot be done  in my opinion! I mean it's a wonderful concept and good luck to Eoin Cadogan but push will come to shove sometime this year, sooner rather than later!!