Cork V Mayo - What odds on a draw?

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

I'd be very worried about what that full forward line could do to us. I've heard a lot about Sheehan but only saw him play against Dublin but he looked serious. We will miss Keith Higgins badly.

Cork's defence is suspect though. Glad to see Cadogan isn't starting and, for all the talk of how much strength in depth Cork have, the fact that Kieran O'Connor continues to get a sniff beggars belief. I know he's from the same club as Counihan. Has that much to do with it? Worst top level county defender since Paul Casey.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 08, 2010, 10:08:19 PM
I'd be very worried about what that full forward line could do to us. I've heard a lot about Sheehan but only saw him play against Dublin but he looked serious. We will miss Keith Higgins badly.

Cork's defence is suspect though. Glad to see Cadogan isn't starting and, for all the talk of how much strength in depth Cork have, the fact that Kieran O'Connor continues to get a sniff beggars belief. I know he's from the same club as Counihan. Has that much to do with it? Worst top level county defender since Paul Casey.

Me too. Good to get a taste of this kind of a full forward line now and see how we get on. If we cant cope now no use anybody codding themselves that we d be able to do any better later with the same personnel. We still dont know how we ll match up do we? Any team yet?

RedandGreenSniper

Doesn't appear to be a team which would make it the fourth week in a row that Johnno has shite-acted with not naming it until the day of the game. I'd imagine Chris Barrett will come in for Keith Higgins and I'd like to think they'd move Kevin McLoughlin into the corner.
If Varley doesn't start, Ronaldson will probably come in. I wouldn't say C Mortimer is guaranteed to start. If not, they might play Dillon inside, move Seamie O'Shea to 11 and start McGarrity.
Will be interesting to see if they start Conroy. If they do then Johnno's horses for courses talk will be bunyuck. Cafferkey would have a much better chance on Sheehan and wouldn't struggle physically with him.

Foreverhopeful

there's no doubting there is strength involved here. Donaghy is a big man, not just height wise. He is very good at holding off defenders with left-hand while shooting right-footed. Ask David Brady about the strength of Donaghy. It would i must admit be an absolutely fascinating battle

Foreverhopeful

No mayo team until Sunday again....
I would suspect Chris Barrett for Keith and McLoughlin back. Tough task for him on Colm O'Neill.
Also Sheehan will be a big problem for whoever is selected at no.3. That's going to be a very interesting call.
Why do i think there is going to be something dramatic about one selection. I have a feeling in my bones that we will see someone totally not expected... Don't know why but guess we'll find out Sunday...
P.s. I had a feeling Nani would be a star for Utd last night before the match and i wasn't wrong!

muppet

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 08, 2010, 10:25:40 PM
No mayo team until Sunday again....
I would suspect Chris Barrett for Keith and McLoughlin back. Tough task for him on Colm O'Neill.
Also Sheehan will be a big problem for whoever is selected at no.3. That's going to be a very interesting call.
Why do i think there is going to be something dramatic about one selection. I have a feeling in my bones that we will see someone totally not expected... Don't know why but guess we'll find out Sunday...
P.s. I had a feeling Nani would be a star for Utd last night before the match and i wasn't wrong!

Ciaran McDonald!!

You better be right for starting that rumour......

MWWSI 2017

Zulu

There could be a bit shuffling in the Cork backs, Shields has been roasted all league at FB and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Canty switch. R&GS, you're dead right about O'Connor but Spillane is poor too so Mayo could get a lot of joy here. Lynch might be a weak link this weekend too as it can take older lads a bit more time to get up to speed after a lay off and you would think the likes of Varley would be close to peak fitness now. Outside of the FF line I think Mayo will compete very well, I don't think Kavanagh is anywhere near an IC midfielder so Mayo might dominate the middle this weekend but Cork have players to come off the bench if need be and they may not be taking this game as seriously as Mayo will.

rosnarun

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 08, 2010, 10:18:44 PM
Doesn't appear to be a team which would make it the fourth week in a row that Johnno has shite-acted with not naming it until the day of the game. I'd imagine Chris Barrett will come in for Keith Higgins and I'd like to think they'd move Kevin McLoughlin into the corner.
If Varley doesn't start, Ronaldson will probably come in. I wouldn't say C Mortimer is guaranteed to start. If not, they might play Dillon inside, move Seamie O'Shea to 11 and start McGarrity.
Will be interesting to see if they start Conroy. If they do then Johnno's horses for courses talk will be bunyuck. Cafferkey would have a much better chance on Sheehan and wouldn't struggle physically with him.
HORSES FOR COURSES ,
You really think thats why Cafferkey isn't getting a game any more? nothing to do with the fact he hasnot been able to catch a ball all year?
BJP has returned he may not be back ready sunday but untill JOM gives keane his head BLP is not the outstanding Full back candidate
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

western exile

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 08, 2010, 10:08:19 PM

Cork have only conceded 3 more points than Mayo over the 6 games.  It is goals that they have been leaking, 9 so far compared to Mayo 5

Foreverhopeful

QuoteCiaran McDonald!!

Hold on there was no mention of the great one! No i think we may see a keegan/nally/padden/mcdonagh/kelly/Feeney

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 08, 2010, 10:37:23 PM
QuoteCiaran McDonald!!

Hold on there was no mention of the great one! No i think we may see a keegan/nally/padden/mcdonagh/kelly/Feeney

I certainly wouldn't rule out the last named there. In for Conroy perhaps? If that were to happen, it would spell the end for Ger Caff at three. Hard to know.

moysider

It s shite not having a team until the day of the game again. Looks like their waiting to see how the hamstrings are coming along. Can't see Varley play if he even felt a slight pull last weekend. No point risking more damage this time of year. McGarrity looked fine last Sunday but the pitch was heavy for an iffy hamstring and both his feet skid from under him at one stage as well. He was replaced shortly after and it looked like he had tweaked it a bit. He seemed to be feeling it a bit.

I d say we might be looking at Clarkie, O Mal, Conroy, Kevin Mac, Vaughan, Howley, Barrett, O Sé, Parsons, Harte, Dillon, Trevor, Conoreen, Aidan, Ronnie.

Full back will be a big call. If Caff doesn't make this one it wont look good for him but they played Conroy v Monaghan on what looked like a player more suited to Ger. I would nt be surprised if Barry Moran gets some time if he s nearly right at all.

Foreverhopeful

mayo midfield should be looking to get upper hand on that cork duo. No need to risk Mcgarrity. What's the story with Pat Harte? Is he back in the country full-time? I really dont know where he could be played.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 08, 2010, 11:32:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2010, 05:59:00 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 07, 2010, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 07, 2010, 04:10:24 PM
I'll start: Paddy Navin - excellent reader of the game. Got injured in 05/06 and curtailed his progress. They say he has lost a bit of pace but if he was training with Mayo his sharpness would improve. He is 26 years old now.
P.S. - only Mayo player to make his debut in an All-Ireland final

Not sure thats true, thought Ray Dempsey did also

I thought Dempsey definitely played before the final in 1989 maybe in the Connacht Final. There is a picture of him with Willie Joe leaving the field after the Tyrone game. In fact I believe he didn't start that one only due to a personal bereavement.

I didn't think so Muppet but I'm open to correction.

Ros ur an awful man for the anti JOM, so I wont bother arguing with you over it, theres a lot of FFs in Mayo who dont like JOM for his politics and slate him whether he's doing well or not.

As for Keane being the next Cahill, isn;t that exactly what we said about Caff? I think we're too quick to write off Caff, he style is different to what we've seen before, he's never likely to beat his man to the ball everytime but what he does do is get a hand in where he shouldn't or stick to them like glue when they have it. I'd stick with him, he'll learn and grow.
2 seperate notes, we see have to have kevin cahill up on a pedestal, yes a great full back but i think he's getting better with every failed FB we get. Also current FBs have probably the toughest full forward to deal with since the Bomber, maybe ever, I think Donaghy will be viewed as the outstanding footballer of his generation, ahead of O'Neill, Gooch etc.

Dempsey played in the CF replay in '89. Refer WJs excellent site: http://mayogaablog.com/

Wasnt there a Reilly came on in the replay in 96?

Navin and Conroy both made their debuts from the bench in 04
Hasta la victoria siempre

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 08, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 08, 2010, 11:32:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2010, 05:59:00 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 07, 2010, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 07, 2010, 04:10:24 PM
I'll start: Paddy Navin - excellent reader of the game. Got injured in 05/06 and curtailed his progress. They say he has lost a bit of pace but if he was training with Mayo his sharpness would improve. He is 26 years old now.
P.S. - only Mayo player to make his debut in an All-Ireland final

Not sure thats true, thought Ray Dempsey did also

I thought Dempsey definitely played before the final in 1989 maybe in the Connacht Final. There is a picture of him with Willie Joe leaving the field after the Tyrone game. In fact I believe he didn't start that one only due to a personal bereavement.

I didn't think so Muppet but I'm open to correction.

Ros ur an awful man for the anti JOM, so I wont bother arguing with you over it, theres a lot of FFs in Mayo who dont like JOM for his politics and slate him whether he's doing well or not.

As for Keane being the next Cahill, isn;t that exactly what we said about Caff? I think we're too quick to write off Caff, he style is different to what we've seen before, he's never likely to beat his man to the ball everytime but what he does do is get a hand in where he shouldn't or stick to them like glue when they have it. I'd stick with him, he'll learn and grow.
2 seperate notes, we see have to have kevin cahill up on a pedestal, yes a great full back but i think he's getting better with every failed FB we get. Also current FBs have probably the toughest full forward to deal with since the Bomber, maybe ever, I think Donaghy will be viewed as the outstanding footballer of his generation, ahead of O'Neill, Gooch etc.

Dempsey played in the CF replay in '89. Refer WJs excellent site: http://mayogaablog.com/

Wasnt there a Reilly came on in the replay in 96?

Navin and Conroy both made their debuts from the bench in 04

Tom Reilly, believe me it wasn't his debut. Search youtube for a cracking goal against the Rossies in 1988 (I think) set up by a young Liam McHale.
MWWSI 2017